Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes for MS but not for TPMS in general. I just found out my comment about Porsche or Roadster's TPMS can display actual pressure because tires on them won't see rotation is wrong. Costco intalled new front tires on my Cayman S reversed from the original postion last week. I got a warnning on TPSM display to reset the TPMS function. It worked fine after I did that. I wonder why Tesla could not implement a similar system. Is it because of the cost or what? The pressure display is a huge convenience over this dummy warning flag.

Who knows -- Tesla probably can but it will require programming and testing and such to do it in the main touchscreen system, if the TPMS subsystem firmware permits that action over the CAN bus. At the moment they use the subsystem manufacturer's tool directly connected.

Have over 6K miles on my S and have never had a TPMS fault show up. A couple of weeks ago got the first and it promptly went away. I checked the tire pressures and found one tire to be at about 41 so took it to the recommended 45. Same day drove from Tucson to PHX and started getting the warning, then it went away. Then it happened again yesterday. Only two things that are different from before are that I recently upgraded to the firmware to 4.4, and the temperatures have gone up to the low 90's. I'm going to contact ownership to see if I should putting in a service request. Naturally, next week I'm driving 900 miles over two days so would prefer it resolved.

Had this warning yesterday. The warning was slowly flashing on the dashboard for a few minutes - then went on solid for a few minutes - and then turned off.

After stopping and waiting a few hours, checked the tire pressures - and all 4 tires were 45 to 45.5 pressure.

The warning did not re-appear in driving later in the day.

Car scheduled for service on Friday - and this will be on the list to check out.

[Running 44 software]

Had this warning yesterday. The warning was slowly flashing on the dashboard for a few minutes - then went on solid for a few minutes - and then turned off.

After stopping and waiting a few hours, checked the tire pressures - and all 4 tires were 45 to 45.5 pressure.

The warning did not re-appear in driving later in the day.

Car scheduled for service on Friday - and this will be on the list to check out.

[Running 44 software]
I contacted Service regarding this problem and they "pulled the logs". It indicated an intermittent problem with the two front tire sensors. I'm scheduled to go in next week to have the sensor antennae tested and realigned, which is what they think the problem is.

I contacted Service regarding this problem and they "pulled the logs". It indicated an intermittent problem with the two front tire sensors. I'm scheduled to go in next week to have the sensor antennae tested and realigned, which is what they think the problem is.

napabill, thanks for the update! Do you know if there's any side effect of not taking care of this till I go in for the annual service?! I have had the exact same symptoms as you do...

napabill, thanks for the update! Do you know if there's any side effect of not taking care of this till I go in for the annual service?! I have had the exact same symptoms as you do...
The only side effect would be if you had a real issue with one of the front tires and it wasn't reported. Unlikely, but possible. Because I'm leaving on a 1,000 mile road trip, I would like it handled before I leave.

Had the tire pressure failure warning come on with a go to service message. We also heard a strange noise coming from the right rear tire. Like a tread was coming loose. None of the tires were low, so took it into the service facility. They used all the monitoring devices available including hooking up a laptop. It showed the left rear was malfunctioning. Took it off, checked it, all was good. Checked the right rear and that was the problem. First they the sides labeled incorrectly. Second the monitoring device had come completely loose and failed as it was rolling around in the tire. Replaced it and reconfigured the monitoring correctly and all is good. The new tire balancing machines are really excellent! Good luck with the problems. RNG

Mentioned this recurring sporadic TPMS issue while I was at the Menlo Park SC briefly today (to swap out a problematic UMC); the service tech mentioned that this is caused by some sort of an antenna(?) that has since been updated to a newer part. The Menlo folks are already backordered on this part so, I'll just have to get this addressed a few months later when in for the annual service.

Seriously?!? You don't see the actual pressure of each tire?!? My freaking Jeep does that. If you rotate the tires, it automatically relearns the tire positions all by itself. Come on Tesla! Give me my exact tire pressures, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise, and blind spot monitoring just like I have in my 2 year old, $50,000 Jeep, on the P85+ you are building for me....