Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, how is it done? A precise measure would be if there were a sensor inside the tire however that seems unlikely as people use 3rd party rims and tires and I assume people rotate/replace the tires at home or have a local grease monkey do it. Here in Estonia we need to swap out the tires twice a year anyway because we need real winter tires for the Nov-Mar timeframe so that's also the time we get them rotated. I'm just wondering how can Tesla measure the pressure accurately without a sensor in there. So tech educate me :)

There is a sensor in each tire that has to be moved/replaced if you use aftermarket rims.

I'm curious, how is it done? A precise measure would be if there were a sensor inside the tire however that seems unlikely as people use 3rd party rims and tires and I assume people rotate/replace the tires at home or have a local grease monkey do it. Here in Estonia we need to swap out the tires twice a year anyway because we need real winter tires for the Nov-Mar timeframe so that's also the time we get them rotated. I'm just wondering how can Tesla measure the pressure accurately without a sensor in there. So tech educate me :)

Where is the sensor? Because the way they swap the tires on the rims (I usually replace tires, not rims between winter and summer tires) they stick various utensils between the rim and tire and squeeze etc so I'm afraid there might be damage if the sensor is somewhere in the way.
Here is a generic picture that shows how most modern TPMS sensors are installed and located. Pretty much all European cars have similar sensors and tire shops should be familiar with replacing tires and not damaging the sensors.
274647770_450.jpg

Tesla = $125/ea
Tirerack.com = $97/ea

How compatible are these TPMS with other brands of wheels? If I order a set of Tirerack's sensors, are they likely (or unlikely) to work with another set of wheels?

I already have a set of Replika R141 wheels awaiting, which look virtually identical to the Tesla OEM 19" wheels. Tirerack cautioned that they could not guarantee compatibility with anything except their own wheels, but wouldn't really say how often such incompatibilities arise...

How compatible are these TPMS with other brands of wheels? If I order a set of Tirerack's sensors, are they likely (or unlikely) to work with another set of wheels?

I already have a set of Replika R141 wheels awaiting, which look virtually identical to the Tesla OEM 19" wheels. Tirerack cautioned that they could not guarantee compatibility with anything except their own wheels, but wouldn't really say how often such incompatibilities arise...
You should be fine. It's rare that a TPMS wont fit a modern wheel - I believe the fitment issues are with more exotic 3-piece wheels, or wheels with the valve hole in the middle of the barrel. For these wheels, the TPMS is banded to the wheel.
You can ask the wheel mfg if the wheels are compatible with common TPMS's.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg