Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure no longer displayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ron J.

MY LR, Blue-Bk, OD 9/30/21 - Delivered 5/26/22
Nov 20, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
The tire pressure value, in the service menu, is no longer being displaying on my one month old MY. I noticed this shortly after the 2022.1.1.2 software update (less than 2 week ago) and it is still missing with the 2022.16.2 update. I've rebooted the system and it's still just blanks where the PSI values should be displayed. However, I cannot be certain this was caused by a software update. Anyone else seen this issue.

Are you checking it after or while you're driving? If the car has been sitting and you pull it up, it will often be blank until you drive to activate the sensors. I just checked mine at a red light in my MYP (last update was two days ago) and it works.

Today I checked shortly after arriving home, but perhaps I waited too long to check it. As I recall, when I checked last week I was stopped at a traffic light about a mile from my house.

Last edited:
I drove a couple of miles from my home yesterday and checked the tire pressure while stopped at a traffic light and the values displayed OK. My new tesla is the only vehicle that I've owned with a tire pressure display that doesn't show the values after being parked at home overnight. Since it's generally considered best to check tire pressure when the tires are cold (i.e. before being driven), the Tesla limitation makes this more difficult.

Reactions: CyberPilot
My new tesla is the only vehicle that I've owned with a tire pressure display that doesn't show the values after being parked at home overnight.
I thought almost all TPMS went to sleep while not being driven, such that what is likely displayed on your other vehicles is the last reported value shortly after you parked. (So not the cold temperature pressure.) Tesla decided that it shouldn't just show old values that might no longer be accurate.

Since it's generally considered best to check tire pressure when the tires are cold (i.e. before being driven), the Tesla limitation makes this more difficult.

I'm pretty sure mine show up with just moving forward, or backward, a few feet. So you can still easily check the cold pressure.

Often, when driving, on my 2018 "S," the tire pressure indicator shows nothing. Then, it shows something like this photo with the yellowish icon at the top. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Thank you, much.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 159
I drove a couple of miles from my home yesterday and checked the tire pressure while stopped at a traffic light and the values displayed OK. My new tesla is the only vehicle that I've owned with a tire pressure display that doesn't show the values after being parked at home overnight. Since it's generally considered best to check tire pressure when the tires are cold (i.e. before being driven), the Tesla limitation makes this more difficult.
My last two GM’s went to sleep, it’s to save the batteries in the TMPS, why broadcast data constantly if the car is sitting for long periods. In my 2020 Y mine wake up after a couple hundred feet of driving.

My last two GM’s went to sleep, it’s to save the batteries in the TMPS, why broadcast data constantly if the car is sitting for long periods. In my 2020 Y mine wake up after a couple hundred feet of driving.
That's completely immaterial here IMHO.

There is no good reason NOT to save and display the last known PSI state transmitted from the TPMS. Having it null until you're moving for a bit is a poor design.

• Disagree
Reactions: db93
There is no good reason NOT to save and display the last known PSI state transmitted from the TPMS. Having it null until you're moving for a bit is a poor design.
Sure there is. There is no reason to report that the tire has 42 PSI, when in fact it has 20 PSI because someone let out a bunch while you were parked.

It is also likely that the pressure when parked was higher because of temperature, so it doesn't reflect the cold temperature, which is what you would want to be checking when first getting in the vehicle.

I have a 2016 Model X and I much preferred that interface. After updating to the new software, the tire pressure is not only missing but shows a tire air pressure warning in the upper right corner. When I go to Control/Service there is no tire pressure measurements for any of the tires, even after driving around.

Someone mentioned that a possible cause is dead battery in the TPMS system. Has anyone had this happen? Did the same thing happen to you? And how much does Tesla charge to replace the battery? Thanks in advance.

Someone mentioned that a possible cause is dead battery in the TPMS system. Has anyone had this happen? Did the same thing happen to you? And how much does Tesla charge to replace the battery? Thanks in advance.
If it is all of them not displaying, then it isn't likely the batteries. I think the sensors are currently $95 each from Tesla, but that doesn't include installation.

I think the last person that had this happen had a module go bad on their vehicle. (Not a dead battery.)

If it is all of them not displaying, then it isn't likely the batteries. I think the sensors are currently $95 each from Tesla, but that doesn't include installation.

I think the last person that had this happen had a module go bad on their vehicle. (Not a dead battery.)

Thanks so much Mike for taking the time to post. Ah bummer. Ok, yes, none of them display at all.

Ok, new question based on Mike's great post. Does anyone know what Tesla charges for a bad module going out? Ha.

Keep in mind the TPMS system in cars is not a replacement for manually checking your tire pressures with a quality air pressure gauge at least once a month. That is how you should be getting accurate cold pressures.
The TPMS is good for checking if you are potentially losing air from running over something on the fly.

Reactions: FatherTo1
That's completely immaterial here IMHO.

It looks like you may be getting your wish in 2022.24.5. It appears that stale pressures will be reported, along with information on how long ago that reading was taken.

1661282967717.png