Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure readings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why I am different from everyone else. I have a P85D made in March or April 2015; my car will hill hold (for approx 2 seconds) if I firmly depress the brake, and (to the point) yesterday my car told me "Front drivers side tire pressure is low". I am on 6.2.5.71. I first noticed the hill hold abut 6 weeks ago. My front left was in fact 5 psi lower than all the rest of the tires.

All cars have this feature. It's called Hill Start Assist. It does not depend on how firmly you press the brake. It depends on the incline of the hill. That's why you only experience the feature in some situations and not others. Tesla's forthcoming Hill Hold feature in v7 will now make this feature predictable and on-demand.

Well, it does work now using the standard hydraulic brakes, so it seems to me that simply tweaking the software to change when it works is all that'd be required.

As I say I wouldn't count on it. Not sure the classic cars had the same level of "brake by wire" tech as the new ones.

I don't know how the old "hill start assist" worked, it could have been electrically holding the motor stationary (effectively stalling it) and not using the braking system at all. (Which would explain why it was fairly time limited in operation)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm VIN P031XX...On a significant grade my breaks will hold...how early are you talking about? I didn't realize there was a "new braking hardware". Are we talking the vacuum vs electromechanical? Can you expand why one wouldn't work?

This is what the new cars have:
P85D - Electric Mechanical Braking System - Page 8

Obviously far more scope to force the brakes on, sense brake position, scope to program etc. over a dumb vacuum assisted servo hydraulic setup on the classics

As I say I wouldn't count on it. Not sure the classic cars had the same level of "brake by wire" tech as the new ones.

I don't know how the old "hill start assist" worked, it could have been electrically holding the motor stationary (effectively stalling it) and not using the braking system at all. (Which would explain why it was fairly time limited in operation)

We covered this in some other thread -- the hill hold for all cars is brake activated (and not the e-brake either). I suspect all cars will get the enhanced hill-holding features, since it's really just a software modification of what these cars already do.

Nope. It uses the standard hydraulic brakes... the same one that are used when you press the pedal. I can hear the exact same squeak/groan from them as they release as I do when I gradually release the brake pedal myself.

The car's ABS and/or Traction Control systems have the ability to apply individual brakes to control skidding, and I believe they are simply employing this mechanism for Hill Assist.

All cars have this feature. It's called Hill Start Assist. It does not depend on how firmly you press the brake. It depends on the incline of the hill. That's why you only experience the feature in some situations and not others. Tesla's forthcoming Hill Hold feature in v7 will now make this feature predictable and on-demand.

Looking forward to that. I seem to live in an area with hills just enough to allow roll-back, but not enough to engage Hill Assist about 80% of the time.

We covered this in some other thread -- the hill hold for all cars is brake activated (and not the e-brake either). I suspect all cars will get the enhanced hill-holding features, since it's really just a software modification of what these cars already do.

Nope. It uses the standard hydraulic brakes... the same one that are used when you press the pedal. I can hear the exact same squeak/groan from them as they release as I do when I gradually release the brake pedal myself.

The car's ABS and/or Traction Control systems have the ability to apply individual brakes to control skidding, and I believe they are simply employing this mechanism for Hill Assist.

Tesla releases second version of its beta v7.0

v7-0_5.png

Hmmm... so it sounds like "Hill Start Assist" is being replaced with "Hill Hold". Perhaps, as has been suggested, this new "Hill Hold" will require the newer brake hardware. Wonder if older cars like mine will just stay with the current "Hill Start Assist"?

Why would "Hill Hold" require new brake hardware?

Because hill hold is easy to implement if you have a Bosch iBooster (Mercs with the same unit have the same functionality).

However if you have a traditional vacuum servo it would require fiddling around with the (safety critical) ESP/TCS/ABS sub-systems. Not saying it's impossible, but would it have been a good use of Tesla's time?

Because hill hold is easy to implement if you have a Bosch iBooster (Mercs with the same unit have the same functionality).

However if you have a traditional vacuum servo it would require fiddling around with the (safety critical) ESP/TCS/ABS sub-systems. Not saying it's impossible, but would it have been a good use of Tesla's time?
Are you implying that not all MS use iBooster? That some MS could be using the traditional vacuum servo? I thought that iBooster complements the EV regen braking and that would be the logical implementation.

Are you implying that not all MS use iBooster? That some MS could be using the traditional vacuum servo? I thought that iBooster complements the EV regen braking and that would be the logical implementation.

Not implying, stating ;)

Dual Motor Model S and Autopilot | Tesla Motors
The launch of Dual Motor Model S coincides with the introduction of a standard hardware package that will enable autopilot functionality. Every single Model S now rolling out of the factory includes a forward radar, 12 long range ultrasonic sensors positioned to sense 16 feet around the car in every direction at all speeds, a forward looking camera, and a high precision, digitally controlled electric assist braking system.

My 2013 Sig S (vin under 1000) had hill hold added with an OTA update and I've had that feature ever since. No reason any MS should not have that feature by now. It can be a bit subtle however, if you worry you don't have it head over to a significant hill and try. Its a nicely implemented feature that is almost "invisible" because it works quite well. It does have a time limitation when it will only hold x seconds (don't know that exact number) so beware if it lets go after an extended hold you may need to engage it again. All this is in the release notes.

I hope this isn't a tread highjack ...

Anyone have any FW8.0 problems with the TPMS working?

I've had a number of FW8.0 problems. My Autopilot has been 100% disabled since the upgrade; yesterday the TPMS alert came up. It completely lost contact with both of my passenger side meters (or at least that is what the picture implies to me). I rebooted MCO x 3 and IC x 1 and then it was up to 3/4 and then the next morning up to all 4. So, the 2 left tires were reading at 41 PSI, low alert said "pressure low x 2" and the picture had NO readings for the passenger side wheels until after the reboots and a day, then they both read as 38-39. My 19's want 45 PSI per the driver doorjamb. I did check manually and refill and since then they are all reporting normal PSI ranges. Yes, we had our first cold snap the night before.

So in trouble shooting this either 1) I had 2 TPMS batteries die, simultaneously 2) I had 2 report low simultaneously and a bug in 8.0 just couldn't demonstrate them both at once 3) I actually lost the wireless connection to 2 of them, simultaneously for a reason other than battery power (like a bad driver in FW8.0) They are working now but just another data point in possible 8.0 bugs. My autopilot, on the other hand, is dead. I called them, they said they would check the logs and call me back (this was after AP before TPMS). They haven't called back 9 days later.