Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire pressure sensor fault message after New aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a 'tire pressure sensor fault' message after installing a set of new wheels.

The wheels, tires, and tpms I purchased through carid.com which they guaranteed the fit.
After receiving the wheels and installing them I changed the wheel confirmation from a 19" to 21".
The system rebooted itself and came up fine. After about 30 minutes into a drive a message appeared tire pressure sensor fault message.

I attempted to reset the tpms from the service screen and doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone experience the same?

The tpms Smart Sensor® - One Programmable Multi-Frequency TPMS Sensor with Metal Valve Stem

Hi EddyD,

From what I have seen and heard very few people have good luck with the "multi-frequency"
sensors.
US Tesla cars use 433 Mhz sensors.
If your tire supplier would replace them with programmable 433 Mhz (Only) sensors
They should work and you will be happy...

A sensor I have had some luck with is an Alligator 590883.
They are available on Amazon and eBay for $25 to $27 each.
They will need to be programmed - but most sensors including the ones you already have
were programmed at the tire store...

Good Luck,

Shawn

have they already been programmed for the model S? I bought preprogrammed ones from amazon for $25 each and they work great and instantly. could also be faulty
I ordered my wheels and tires through carid and what a nightmare it's been.
I'm going to have to harass them now to send me new sensors that work and hope they pay for the reinstallation

Hi EddyD,

From what I have seen and heard very few people have good luck with the "multi-frequency"
sensors.
US Tesla cars use 433 Mhz sensors.
If your tire supplier would replace them with programmable 433 Mhz (Only) sensors
They should work and you will be happy...

A sensor I have had some luck with is an Alligator 590883.
They are available on Amazon and eBay for $25 to $27 each.
They will need to be programmed - but most sensors including the ones you already have
were programmed at the tire store...

Good Luck,

Shawn

Thanks Shawn.

Any idea if driving around with that warning will cause the car to stop running and leave me stranded?

Hi EddyD,

The warning will not cause you any distress or stop the car from running...

If one of your tires does go bad or flat it will not alert you, so you must be
aware of the tires' condition until you get the TPMS sensors resolved...

Shawn