Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure system needs service after tirerack snows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed my new winter wheel and tire package from tirerack, and after about 20 mins of driving now I'm getting the error "Tire pressure system needs service. Contact Tesla service"

Does this mean they sent me bum sensors? I don't imagine Tesla service will help me here.

Same thing happened to me with the error message when I ordered from Tirerack. I returned them and got the ITM ones off of amazon. Those ones worked way better.
What do you mean you returned them? You unmounted the wheels and sent just the tpms back?

Who paid for the labor and shipping?

Tirerack said they would work on my car. I don't expect to pay for their mistake.

Maybe obvious, but did you press the "reset the tire sensors" in the service submenu? Would not count on the installers to do this. Otherwise, maybe incompatibility issue. I also have purchased ones off amazon and worked like a charm for whatever its worth. Good luck...;)

Someone else in the forums here posted that they found a 3rd party TPMS maker had some units that worked with the M3 and they were really inexpensive. You had to program them to the right Tesla compatibility mode however which required a digital tool that this person had purchased.

The good news is that you don’t need some stupid expensive “dealer tool” to switch tires to a different set like most vehicles do.

If your new set of tires has TPMS sensors in them that are programmed to be Tesla compatible then upon installation the car should recognize the tires have been changed and ask you for the wheel size (it must use that to calibrate the traction control or something).

On my phone right now so I am not going to go searching for that thread at the moment.

I installed my new winter wheel and tire package from tirerack, and after about 20 mins of driving now I'm getting the error "Tire pressure system needs service. Contact Tesla service"

Does this mean they sent me bum sensors? I don't imagine Tesla service will help me here.

Tire Rack sensors sometimes need to be “turned on.” A tire shop will have a tool that can do this. I bought a snow tire package from them before and they told me ahead of time it would ship this way. I think this to some extent preserves/extends tpms life.

I had zero issues with my winter set and tpms I got from tire rack. Within minutes of getting on the highway...tire pressures showed and I got the message to choose wheel size.

Do any of your tire pressures show? How long did you drive after installing them? As someone mentioned did you try taking a second drive? Manual states you have to drive over 15mph for over 10min to automatically reset the tpms.

My set was at 32-34 psi....so I inflated them to 46 psi before installing them. Maybe that triggered them to turn on? I think in one of your posts tire rack recommended dropping them and re-inflating.
Incase you’re wondering I like to overinflate and let the air temps settle before dropping it down to target pressures.

Last edited:
Tire Rack sensors sometimes need to be “turned on.” A tire shop will have a tool that can do this. I bought a snow tire package from them before and they told me ahead of time it would ship this way. I think this to some extent preserves/extends tpms life.

That’s a good point. I got the same ones OP got (I think) and I didn’t have to do anything. But it is possible the tire shop automatically “activated” them or turned them “on”.

Well, I'm home from my trip and checked my paperwork, and think I've debugged the problem. My receipt shows that I don't have sensors installed at all. :eek:

I don't know how it's possible, but I must have checked the wrong box when ordering. I want to blame tirerack, but they weren't listed in the order confirmation either so it must be my mistake. :mad: FML

One minor annoyance... The receipt said: "User will have service center transfer OEM sensors". Why the hell would I order them mounted and balanced if I'm going to install sensors when I get them? It would been nice if I had gotten some kind of, "Are you sure you want to do this?" warning or email.

There seems to a lot of new owners ordering winter tire packages. Double check your cart that TPMS sensors were added. It would not be impossible to miss the "Mount and balance with TPMS sensors". The "Are you sure ......" message wouldn't be a bad idea.

There are three options to choose from before your package is added to your cart.

From TireRack's order page:

upload_2018-11-18_8-58-6.jpeg

Reactions: DrDabbles
Do you need to change the sensors every time you change new tires? At $47 each that is $188 for 4 wheels.

Can you re-use the sensors get new tires?

TPMS can be saved and reused BUT it does rely on the skill of the tire installer: the TPMS sensor juts out from the metallic wheel opposite the tire valve and so when the rubber tire is being removed, care needs to be taken to ensure the TPMS sensor is not snapped off by the rubber as it goes over it. It's technically a bit challenging.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
What do you mean you returned them? You unmounted the wheels and sent just the tpms back?

Who paid for the labor and shipping?

Tirerack said they would work on my car. I don't expect to pay for their mistake.

I bought new ones then took it back to the tire shop I used and asked them to swap them. Since all they have to do is let the air out and apply pressure the sidewall where the sensor is in order to swap them it was relatively quick and they just comped it. I didn’t pursue tirerack paying for it so I’m not sure what their policy is on equipment defective equipment when it comes to removal.

I am having the same issue with Tire Rack wheels/tires and their Dill 433 mhZ sensors - no connection to the vehicle, and a nil value at each corner on the touchscreen (along with annoying warning messages). Tesla says that they pushed my car a sensor reset, but that hasn't helped. Anyone else have a (magic) solution?