TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire pressure vs efficiency data/chart?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by garu, Aug 1, 2020.

1. garu

garu Member

Has anyone tested how much efficiency you gain using 50 or 45 psi versus 40?

2. garu

garu Member

3. phluppsen

phluppsen New Member

Personally, I experience a noticable difference.

An electric car is (roughly) 3 times more efficient than a comparable ICE car. A change in tire pressure that equates to a 2% efficiency increase (hardly noticable) in an ICE car would have a 6% efficiency increase (very noticable) in an electric car, with all else being equal. The fact, that electric cars are usually heavier than ICE cars would make the difference even greater.

Every absolute change in efficiency is a much greater relative change the more efficient the car already is. That is why there is such a big focus on aero, drivetrain and tires with electric cars. Take a sip from an espresso and it is half empty, take a sip from a gallon of milk and you won't even notice.

• Like x 1
  4. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

According to Elon the difference between 2.9 bar and 3.1 bar isnt that big, hence he recommended 2.9 for comfort.
    I think once you run tires at 2.5 bar or some ICE-like pressure you definetely will see a range decrease of a few %.

5. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

I notice a difference as well.
    It’s really personal preference. If you want more efficiency, you get a more rough ride.
    Softer ride, less efficient.
    These days, I usually side on comfort. There is a loss in efficiency, but I have lots of range, so it’s no big deal b