Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure vs efficiency data/chart?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For summer tires I run 42 psi cold. For Winter tires (without foam inside) I run them 39 psi cold to reduce noise. No issues in 15 months for me and I drive 600 Km's a week. Also on staggered 20's never had a problem with potholes, but I also have stronger and lighter rims with the Brixton Forged...

Has anyone tested how much efficiency you gain using 50 or 45 psi versus 40?

I claim to be able to roughly calculate the fuelsaving.

For that I concluded next .
Rollong-resistence makes about 25% of the fuelconsumption when driving 80km/50mph, with the calculated needed pressure for the load on tire and max speed of 160kmph/99mph.
2 times the speed gives 2 times fuelconsumption for the not rolling resistence part( the 75% is 100% minus 25% rolling resistance part. The rollingresistance part stays the same/ mile( 2ceas much cycles a second , but also 2 ce as much distance.
2 times the deflection gives 2 times heatproduction of tire, so 2 times fuelconsumption for the rolling resistence part.
2 times as much surface on the ground gives 2x2=4 times as much deflection, so quadratical relation.
For electric cars read energy use for fuelconsumption.

Example : energy use 1 k- watt / mile.
Constant speed 75mph.
Pressure calculated for weight and 99mph 35 psi.
Then 0.25kW/ mile used for rolling resistance
Now 75mph/50mph= 1,5 times as fast so 1,5 times 0.75kwh For rest is 1.125kwh/ mile+ 0.25kw/mile is 1.375kW/ Mile at the 35 psi.
Now 40 psi only rollingresistence part chances. 35/40= 0.875 as much surface on the ground, so 0.875^2= 0.765 as much deflection so 0.765 x 0.25kW/mile= 0.19 kw/mile. Rest was 1.125 + 0.19 = 1.315kW/mile.
1.315/ 1.375=0.956 so energysaving 4.4% .
All verry rough , but gives an idea.

If you give the real data, I will make a new calculation.

I can also calculate that pressure for you that gives the 25% for 50mph.

Actually, it does not work that way. The change in efficiency is a constant that produces about the same results regardless. There have been many discussions and results published to confirm this
Where?

I would be skeptical that the waste heat and incomplete combustion and mechanical losses (significant) parts of the ICE energy equation would be affected at all by the rolling resistance.

Reactions: camthehombre
I run my M3LR with 18s at 40#, as I found the ride to be way better. At the 7k tire rotation, all were wearing evenly. Whatever the range loss may be (and I hardly noticed), it's a fair trade for a softer ride.

I inflated my 18" Michelin Pilot 4 tires to 48 psi on my P3D- and got a big jump in efficiency. I was averaging about 235wh/m on a 550 mile road trip from Bay Area to Vegas... At 75-78mph. I was quite surprised
In my post #22 i roughly calculated for 75mph , rolling resistence makes 14.5% of total energy use
So in your case 14.4% of 235wh/m( used wronly Kw/m) is 34wh/m, leaves 201wh/m for the rest .
Now going from 48 to 42 gives 48/42= 1.142 times as much surface on the ground, so 1.142^2 is 1.306 times as much deflection so heatproduction is 1.306 x 34wh/m is 44,4wh/m + 201= 245.5wh/m is 4.42% more energy use.
Actiradius of batteryfilling then 1/ 1.0442= 95.76 % for 42psi of 48 psi.

Can tou read thw energy use , or did you estimate it.

It is yust what you want, on long trips on good roads, the actiradius counts.
But if you only drive 50m a day, actiradius coynts less, and on bad roads you then gain comfort at 42 psi. And I think the lowest pressure only for safety of tire is about 35 psi, but have to calculate it first.

from what starting pressure? 45->48psi shouldnt make much difference.
I generally run 42psi. Also my lifetime average is 264wh/m over 27Kmiles. Aside from that specific trip, I've always kept my tires around 42psi.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I did put my aero covers on for the trip... I don't usually have them on around town... So that would have played a role too

I generally run 42psi. Also my lifetime average is 264wh/m over 27Kmiles. Aside from that specific trip, I've always kept my tires around 42psi.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I did put my aero covers on for the trip... I don't usually have them on around town... So that would have played a role too

that explains the big jump then. aerocovers are around 3-4% more range on the 18"

Note that a tire's load rating is given for that tire's max pressure as printed on the sidewall.

There is not a whole lot of headroom between the GAWR numbers for most Tesla configurations, regardless of model, and 2 times the stock tires' maximum load spec. I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if an otherwise legally-loaded MS following Elon's 39psi recommendation ended up exceeding the load ratings of its rear tires at that reduced inflation pressure (that said, some manufacturers publish these; others do not; but crash a vehicle that's obviously loaded to GAWR and you may have some very uncomfortable conversations with your insurer about every detail that can impact the actual legal max load).

Reactions: mswlogo