Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Warnings: WWTD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife’s new Jag ePace (oh, Model Y, why couldn’t you be ready?) gave us a low tire pressure alert. Not the first time ever, but she ignored it recently. Swears it was never a dramatic alert.

$300 and a new tire later, for what should have been a $30 repair, I began to wonder how my M3 would handle this.

I get very rare tire pressure warnings and am diligent at maintaining tires, so I there’s usually a reason (ambient temps) for any alert. And my TPMS is on the money. But would Tess grab me by the shoulders to tell me it detected no effin pressure in the tire and the driver should stop immediately to avoid damage? I dunno.

Anyone know if the M3 tire warnings get more urgent in blowouts or large pressure drops?

Don't know about the 3, but I assume it's the same as the S, where you get "tire pressure is very low alert" and "tire pressure is low" alerts. I haven't had one for quite a few releases now, so no idea if this has changed.

I took a Model S on a test drive a while ago that had a leak in the tire, and it popped up with a beeping "tire pressure very low!" or "tire pressure decreasing rapidly" notification with lots of beeping, so it definitely makes you aware of it. This was on 9.0 so pretty confident this warning still exists as-is.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I took a Model S on a test drive a while ago that had a leak in the tire, and it popped up with a beeping "tire pressure very low!" or "tire pressure decreasing rapidly" notification with lots of beeping, so it definitely makes you aware of it. This was on 9.0 so pretty confident this warning still exists as-is.

Seconded. I've had the red exclamation point warning a couple of times on the driver and main LCDs.

Driving - ran over a nail going 55ish on a state highway, this was a "hear the whoosh" level leak.
Stationary - immediately after getting in the car post-tire replacement and the tire shop had under-inflated (I think it was set to 25 instead of 45).

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Yep, the Tesla TPMS alerts do indicate pressure differences depending on severity. This was also true on the first-gen TPMS on my old MS. A tire that was a couple pounds low alerted me within a quarter of a mile that the pressure was low. When I had gotten a nail in the tire, it alerted me to my tire being 'very low' and to 'stop immediately' within 50ft or starting off.

L8

TPMS has always been hit and miss on my Model-S (software update coming to fix it I keep getting told...LOL), but I've had the Check front two tyres warning come up even though they both read 42psi like the rears (shows that on the cluster), what's with that! Then goes away on the next drive, sadly now I treat the system like the boy who cried wolf.