Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share a bit of experience about tire pressure. Im running slightly lower tire pressure in the front tires over the rear tires. Around 2 psi, 41 over 43 and i find the car to be more maneuverable. It is less quick in turn but the car seems to rotate better. I honestly don’t know what is going on, but i feel there is less push to the front, compared to 45 front and rear.
So what are you guys tire pressure? Share your experience!

Just wanted to share a bit of experience about tire pressure. Im running slightly lower tire pressure in the front tires over the rear tires. Around 2 psi, 41 over 43 and i find the car to be more maneuverable. It is less quick in turn but the car seems to rotate better. I honestly don’t know what is going on, but i feel there is less push to the front, compared to 45 front and rear.
So what are you guys tire pressure? Share your experience!
Tweaking balance with tire pressure is a thing, when you have no other options. Every tire has maximum grip at some pressure, above or below is less, so you probably gave the fronts more grip relative to the rears with that pressure.

Tesla’s tire pressure recommendation is all about efficiency, and not at all about performance, so the OP’s experience isn’t a surprise.

I’ve been running 38 PSI in mine - better ride quality, though certainly slightly lower efficiency.
I have about 42-43 PSI and I feel its a bit bouncy. What did you experience when yours were higher that made you try a lower PSI of 38?

Running around 37psi on my 18's for improved ride quality. I rarely max out battery range in normal driving, so I'd prefer to dial in a softer ride vs. maximum efficiency. Turn in is a little more sloppy, but my tires are not performance-oriented, so it doesn't concern me at all.

Have you actually done controlled tests to figure out exactly what tire pressure gave the best efficiency or is this just an assumption?
I don't usually go beyond 50psi but I have done this in at least two other vehicles. But no, I haven't done a controlled test but have notice improved range. And this makes sense because higher inflated tires have less rolling resistance. It's just a matter of comfort and safety as to what psi you decide on and it's often hard to find the actual burst pressure, so I figured 50psi is a pretty safe number as long as I don't load up my car to the max on a very hot day.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I don't usually go beyond 50psi but I have done this in at least two other vehicles. But no, I haven't done a controlled test but have notice improved range. And this makes sense because higher inflated tires have less rolling resistance. It's just a matter of comfort and safety as to what psi you decide on and it's often hard to find the actual burst pressure, so I figured 50psi is a pretty safe number as long as I don't load up my car to the max on a very hot day.
I was just wondering if you had some data on it. I am going to try to do some controlled testing on this tonight.

Tweaking balance with tire pressure is a thing, when you have no other options. Every tire has maximum grip at some pressure, above or below is less, so you probably gave the fronts more grip relative to the rears with that pressure.

Well, every tire has max grip at some pressure, assuming exactly the same load, temperature, tread depth, surface type, surface wetness....

Just going around a corner changes the load on a tire.

There is not one optimal pressure that solves all of this no matter where you drive. It's tradeoffs all the way down.

Wouldn't running 10% lower tire pressures increase the risk of wheel damage from potholes? What am I missing?
Who are you responding to? The OP said he lowered his front tires 2% lower than the rears. But yes lower tire pressure increase the risk of wheel damage from potholes, and higher pressures increase the risk of tire damage (blowouts). Yet, even at normal pressures wheels and tires are at risk from potholes.

Reactions: tm1v2