Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire problem...or just bad luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y since July and covered a total of just under 4,000 miles on it.

I have now had 2 punctures and assume that by the end of the week I will be on my 3rd rear tire. The original lasted about 1,800 miles before getting a puncture that was apparently not repairable and had to be replaced at (if I recall) about $350.

Saturday, we had a second tire go (same wheel - passenger side rear) where the tire literally went from full to completely flat on the highway in about 3 seconds. I'm assuming that given how quickly it went it will also need to be replaced.

I have 3 other cars - I can't even remember the last time I had a puncture on any of those.

Am I just having bad luck or are other people experiencing tire issues?

Thanks!
tire.jpg

Any construction in the areas you travel or gravel roads? Sharp rocks from blasting or crushed stone plants? Running lower pressures for softer ride?

Back in the late 90's I had a new pickup with Goodyear all season tires on it (as sold by the dealer) and in the span of 10 days I had 3 flats. Nobody could explain to me what happened, must have been a bad batch or something. Kept on going back and forth with dealer and Goodyear. Eventually I sold that truck and swore never again to use Goodyear tires. In my opinion they were too soft to use on a pickup truck, but sometimes there are bad ones too.

Any construction in the areas you travel or gravel roads? Sharp rocks from blasting or crushed stone plants? Running lower pressures for softer ride?
Nope. 40psi across the board.

It was raining hard on Saturday, which always seems to wash crap onto the road. But nothing unusual other than that.

I had a Honda Odyssey which had strange run-flat tires. They were fully worn out after just 15k miles, cost $300 per tire, and we had a total of 12 punctures on that in about 5 years. Honda actually paid out on a class action lawsuit on those tires because they were so bad. I think we received a check for...maybe $1.25 out of that lawsuit :).

Hopefully, it's just bad luck and this is the last one. But...it is getting me thinking about a spare and a jack.

I'm at ~3500 miles right now and not problems so far.

I think its bad luck. Also bad luck if you can't get your tires patched.

The complex where I live was doing renos a while ago and I got screw in a tire. I was finding screws, nails, and all sorts of stuff outside every time I walked to my car so I wasn't that surprised. I went to America's Tire to get it patched for free. My work is doing renos right now and I pick-up screws and stuff regularly walking through the parking lot. Unfortunately, the contractors just don't care.

I've had my Model Y since July and covered a total of just under 4,000 miles on it.

I have now had 2 punctures and assume that by the end of the week I will be on my 3rd rear tire. The original lasted about 1,800 miles before getting a puncture that was apparently not repairable and had to be replaced at (if I recall) about $350.

Saturday, we had a second tire go (same wheel - passenger side rear) where the tire literally went from full to completely flat on the highway in about 3 seconds. I'm assuming that given how quickly it went it will also need to be replaced.

I have 3 other cars - I can't even remember the last time I had a puncture on any of those.

Thanks!View attachment 616034

Thanks!View attachment 616034
I have had 3 similar tire punctures since March with what appeared to be sheet metal screws.
No construction site driving, mostly freeway.
$20 fix each time to remove and plug. You are not alone!!

I have had 3 similar tire punctures since March with what appeared to be sheet metal screws.
No construction site driving, mostly freeway.
$20 fix each time to remove and plug. You are not alone!!

They told me they are going to call me tomorrow with an update. Interestingly, they said they are behind because they had a lot of wheels come in this weekend.

Given it went to zero while doing about 70mph I'm not holding my breath that the tire will be repairable. On a plus note, the car wasn't phased at all. If it had not been for the loud bang and the console telling me to pull over, it might have been a while before I noticed it. And, as someone that used to race cars and karts, I'm not insensitive to cars feeling out of whack.

And here is my thread on a flat tire on my 5 day old Model Y with 200 miles on it. It was - you guessed it - rear passenger tire.

Was full when I started from home. Was flat in my office parking lot. Cost me $52 to patch it since it had foam on the inside. My Model 3 that I had for the past 14 months had no flat at all over 15K miles.

Something is not right with Model Y tires.. They go flat at the drop of a hat.

Brand new Y with flat tire - my journey