Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire protection from discount tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone I just picked up my model y performance yesterday and I’m wondering what you guys feel like would be a better idea for me:

Going to discount tire and adding a tire protection for each tire since they are so low profile and more susceptible to ruptures or saving that money and whenever something happens to one of my tires I go and spend the $3000 from T sport line to get some 18 or 19 inch wheels and tires ? Obviously there is a significant cost difference between the two options but I’d love to hear what you guys think makes more sense. Thanks!

I like my 21” tires. I have thought about getting an extra setup of t sport line 18” to use in the event one of my 21” goes flat or if I want to use 18” on long distance trip for extra comfort (my family likes the ride on 21” though) or extra protection in the event the roads on our trips are not as smooth as at home.

Discount tire certificates will set you back roughly $25 per tire. So that’s $100. If you need it replaced, you have to buy a certificate on the replacement. So in the event of a covered loss, the tire will still set you back $125. No loss before the tire hits it’s age or west limit, you just contributed $100.

Numbers approx.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just bought the Discount tire road Hazzard, it was $225 for the Michelin's. $56/tire seemed like a reasonable price for what it offers.
I’m gonna do the same and then when it’s time to replace the tires for normal wear I’m going to do the 18 inch t sport line wheels and tires and just be done with that moving forward. They’re about 3k

tires wear out so fast on the Teslas that the road hazard warranty is less appealing IMO. I have 'self insured' and come out ahead in the past 10 years with my Model S.
If the road hazard warranty is a big deal for you, take a look at TireRack.com - it's included for free
This. That's why I decided to pass. If the PZeros lasted for 30,000 miles the tire protection would be a no brainer.

Worst case scenario:

1) BUY the DT protection (currently $50/each here). $200.
2) Drive 15k miles, tires evenly worn.
3) Blow out a tire. Replaced, under warranty, but with another $50 for a NEW (under warranty) certificate. Now we're up to $250 for certificates.

You STILL have to purchase, at full price, a replacement tire, to place on the same axle as the new tire...$350-450. +plus the new $50 certificate.)

So, you now have two new tires (the other two are now at 15k miles), have to buy 2 new DT certificate is $350-450 (new tire).+ 2 (new certificates) == $650-$750.

WITHOUT the certificates, you need to buy 2 new tires...$700-$900.

Take your pick. I THINK my numbers are pretty accurate.

Last edited:
So what if you get a nail on the tire before the 30,000 miles and then you have to replace the tire? Each tires about $350 at minimum and that one tire pays for the cost of the insurance on all four
...but you have to BUY a matching 2nd tire for the same axle.

I totally understand the DT marketing logic, and for sure, they're NOT losing any money on these certificates/warranties. Realistically, the cost difference is minimal if you choose to drive w/o the warranty.

So what if you get a nail on the tire before the 30,000 miles and then you have to replace the tire? Each tires about $350 at minimum and that one tire pays for the cost of the insurance on all four
The PZero PZ4s won't last 30,000 miles, more like ~15,000 miles. I threw out 30,000 miles to make my point. The tire protection period only lasts for a portion of the tire's already short tread life. If you read the agreement, it only covers down to 3/32 of the tread. It's close to replacement but I've driven tires down to 2/32 many many times without issue.

If I get a nail in the tire before I need to replace the tire, I'll patch it. If it cannot be repaired, I will use one of the takeoffs I purchased that are stacked in my garage. Whether I catch a nail or not I will still need the tires. My question is, if you decide to purchase the DT warranty what do you do if you don't experience a road hazard during the warranty period?

Reactions: atlchamp
The PZero PZ4s won't last 30,000 miles, more like ~15,000 miles. I threw out 30,000 miles to make my point. The tire protection period only lasts for a portion of the tire's already short tread life. If you read the agreement, it only covers down to 3/32 of the tread. It's close to replacement but I've driven tires down to 2/32 many many times without issue.

If I get a nail in the tire before I need to replace the tire, I'll patch it. If it cannot be repaired, I will use one of the takeoffs I purchased that are stacked in my garage. Whether I catch a nail or not I will still need the tires. My question is, if you decide to purchase the DT warranty what do you do if you don't experience a road hazard during the warranty period?
Very valid point! I will probably skip protection and just get some 18s to replace those and sell the Gemini wheels. I wonder where I can sell them

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just visited Discount Tire. Very knowledgeable, candid manager.
Current price: MIchelin CrossClimate 2, 255-45/19: $312
Protection certificate: $62 per tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...= $248.

Manager explained that the certificate cost is a sliding scale, dependent on the cost of the tire.

Reactions: charlesoris