Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire protection from discount tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just visited Discount Tire. Very knowledgeable, candid manager.
Current price: MIchelin CrossClimate 2, 255-45/19: $312
Protection certificate: $62 per tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...= $248.

Manager explained that the certificate cost is a sliding scale, dependent on the cost of the tire.
Of course it's a sliding scale, it's essentially insurance. There is a relationship between the cost of the tire and the cost of the tire protection warranty.

(This is very similar to paying $$$$ for extended 3rd party warranty. For me, it worked out, almost to the penny, for a 2009 VW Sportwagen steering rack, but a waste of money on a 2005 Toyota Tundra.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just visited Discount Tire. Very knowledgeable, candid manager.
Current price: MIchelin CrossClimate 2, 255-45/19: $312
Protection certificate: $62 per tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...= $248.

Manager explained that the certificate cost is a sliding scale, dependent on the cost of the tire.
They also don’t usually mention, but if you replace a tire with a certificate they require a certificate purchased on the replacement tire. Thus $248 + $62 = $310. You only “win” if you have 2 or more replaced under the program.

In any case, discount has always had awesome customer service so I typically purchase tires there. I just pass on the certificate.

Btw - Costco has a pro-rated road hazard warranty included with tire purchase price. It’s based on tread wear. So if you get a sidewall puncture the first week they still replace it free. (Please double check current terms).

...You STILL have to purchase, at full price, a replacement tire, to place on the same axle as the new tire...$350-450. +plus the new $50 certificate.)
This is exactly my issue with the tire insurance. You have to purchase at least one additional tire unless you're very early in the life of the damaged tire (for some AWD vehicles, you really have to replace all four at the same time; I think this is not the case for Tesla).

Of course if they wanted to they could offer insurance that would cover a needed companion tire, but I've never seen that and it would probably be so expensive the few people would take it.

So I thought about it but decided not to go get the DT road hazard plan. I do like Discount Tire as a company and have used them for quite a few years across many vehicles. Costco is not bad but I just became comfortable with Discount Tire, and they have access to almost everything.

One other time, I debated whether to get the dealer-offered road hazard protection on a brand new Volvo. I did buy it, and then lo and behold a nasty desert thorn in my gravel driveway punctured one of the tires within the first two or three days of ownership. Clearly no need for a second new tire, so that was a win!