Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was losing pressure in both of my rear wheels. The technician came to my house and said both my rear tires were worn so badly that they both needed to be replaced. And he added that the reason they had worn was because they had not been rotated and that should have be done every 3 to 5 thousand miles. In 4,000 miles my left rear tire kept loosing pressure. Another technician came and the tire had a nail in it. It too had begun to wear more than usual. I told the tech that they probably were due to be rotated. He said you never rotate the tires because the front and back are different sizes. Again another nerve tire. Has anyone else had what I would call “a run around “ about their tires?

I was losing pressure in both of my rear wheels. The technician came to my house and said both my rear tires were worn so badly that they both needed to be replaced. And he added that the reason they had worn was because they had not been rotated and that should have be done every 3 to 5 thousand miles. In 4,000 miles my left rear tire kept loosing pressure. Another technician came and the tire had a nail in it. It too had begun to wear more than usual. I told the tech that they probably were due to be rotated. He said you never rotate the tires because the front and back are different sizes. Again another nerve tire. Has anyone else had what I would call “a run around “ about their tires?
It might sound like conflicting information, but either could be right depending on what kind of Tesla we're talking about: The Model X and Model S do have different sized wheels (and thus different sized tires) that can't just be switched front-and-back interchangeably. The Model Y and Model 3 have the same sizes front and back, so they can (and should) be rotated periodically.

So if you will let us know which kind of Tesla you have, others will be able to decide which advice does apply to you and which does not. (Also it will help the moderators figure out where to put this thread- your first post was originally added to a conversation on a totally different topic, but I'm sure we'll get that cleared up shortly).

The second tech was correct. You cannot rotate the tires on a Model X. If you are burning tires prematurel, you very likely need a wheel alignment.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot