Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rack now offering Model Y TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke to customer service at Tire Rack and they can order and install Model Y blutooth TPM sensors for wheel & tire packages, just need your VIN when ordering. Said it takes about 2 weeks to get them and cost is $95 per sensor.

Cheers!
Sounds like they are ordering them from Tesla and charging an extra $80 to install them in the tire package. It is convenient though

Just curious, why would you want to buy them from TireRack for $80 more than you can get them from Tesla? I'm certainly capable of installing them and if you are going to a tire shop, I would bet they would installl them too if you are getting tires mounted there.

Just curious, why would you want to buy them from TireRack for $80 more than you can get them from Tesla? I'm certainly capable of installing them and if you are going to a tire shop, I would bet they would installl them too if you are getting tires mounted there.

It's more about when buying a wheel/tire package, like a winter setup. Wheels arrive ready to install. I can skip going to the tire shop and just install the new wheels in my garage...

Reactions: noshadow and RNHurt
It's more about when buying a wheel/tire package, like a winter setup. Wheels arrive ready to install. I can skip going to the tire shop and just install the new wheels in my garage...
Thanks. That makes sense. I haven't bought a tire/wheel package from them so it didn't click. I just bought tires from them and picked up an extra set of wheels from ebay. I'm going to get the TPMS from Tesla and have them mount my winter tires for me. The Tesla winter tire package for the Y was like $3500. I bought a new set of X-Ice tires from TireRack for $1,100. A set of 19' Gemini wheels for $700 on ebay and $300 for the TPMS puts me at $2100. Seemed to be worth the savings.

Yes, I bought a set of wheels a while ago and chatted with a customer service rep to order Tesla TPMS (had to give him my VIN). Now they are officially showing it online, so no need to chat or call - super helpful but budget for extra TPMS as they're $95 apiece! ($380 for 4) since Tire Rack didn't show the price upfront.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mark95476
The least TireRack could do is offer them at cost! They're $75.50 directly from Tesla. I could understand if TireRack could sell them individually, but if it's only with a wheel and tire package, just offer them at cost, people are already buying the wheels and tires from you!

I’m trying to order a winter wheel/tire setup for my MYP that is estimated to arrive later this month. TireRack does not have the 2021 Model Y listed in their system yet, but knowing what I know from this forum and elsewhere I selected the 2020 model without too much thought and carried on picking 20” wheels and winter tires.

When I was ready to order, I asked in the support chat about adding Model Y TPMS sensors (TireRack will mount and balance the tires for free, and I’d rather have them delivered that way, ready to swap out myself). They asked for my VIN, but I don’t have it yet. (It’s going to take 10-12 days to get the wheels in, so I want to order now in order to have the winter tires ready to switch out after I take delivery.) When the guy realized I will actually (I think) have a 2021 model, he thought I was being rather cavalier and trying to somehow “trick the system”. He said I would be taking a “huge risk” on both the wheels and the TPMS sensors.

Now, getting to the point for this thread, is there any reason I should worry about at all about just asking TireRack to install “2020-compatible” Model Y TPMS sensors (without giving a specific VIN)? I certainly didn’t think so, but I’m second-guessing after the reaction from the chat support. Has anyone else done this?

I’m trying to order a winter wheel/tire setup for my MYP that is estimated to arrive later this month. TireRack does not have the 2021 Model Y listed in their system yet, but knowing what I know from this forum and elsewhere I selected the 2020 model without too much thought and carried on picking 20” wheels and winter tires.

When I was ready to order, I asked in the support chat about adding Model Y TPMS sensors (TireRack will mount and balance the tires for free, and I’d rather have them delivered that way, ready to swap out myself). They asked for my VIN, but I don’t have it yet. (It’s going to take 10-12 days to get the wheels in, so I want to order now in order to have the winter tires ready to switch out after I take delivery.) When the guy realized I will actually (I think) have a 2021 model, he thought I was being rather cavalier and trying to somehow “trick the system”. He said I would be taking a “huge risk” on both the wheels and the TPMS sensors.

Now, getting to the point for this thread, is there any reason I should worry about at all about just asking TireRack to install “2020-compatible” Model Y TPMS sensors (without giving a specific VIN)? I certainly didn’t think so, but I’m second-guessing after the reaction from the chat support. Has anyone else done this?

I doubt the 2021 TPMS are different, but worst problem would be you're out $350 to $400 and you can turn around and sell those sensors very easy on here for the same amount. Then you would have to get some from your local service center and have them mounted again. It's a huge pain in the butt, but not like the wheels and tires won't be usable, you just would need the right TPMS.

As long as the wheels physically work on the 2020 model, I would think they will work on the 2021 since we've seen no indication that the Gemini/Induction, or Ubers are different between model years and Tesla isn't listing it's winter tire kit as JUST for the 2020 model or anything. Wheel's and tires probably set, TPMS I would say 95% chance you're set (Tesla does like to change stuff without telling anyone, but I see no reason why they would now, it's more likely 2021 Model 3 switched to the bluetooth TPMS). You could probably ask TireRack to hold your order for a couple days until you have a VIN, usually the VIN shows up at least three or four days before you get the car, and usually as long as TireRack has the tires in stock they can get them to you in 2 to 3 days.

• Informative
Reactions: Modulus1
So I moved ahead with my winter wheel & tire order at TireRack last night. If anyone is interested, this is what I settled on:
  • Enkei XM-6 20x8.5 Front, 20x9.5 Rear
  • Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 255/40R20 Front, 275/40R20 Rear (within about 1% of the OEM 21 inch tire diameter)
Wasn't planning to do a staggered setup, but they can't get more 8.5's in until at least end of January, so figured why not.

They called me back this morning about the TPMS. Without a VIN they can't source the sensors because apparently they have more than one listed for Model Y. (Personally I'm a bit skeptical, is it possible Tesla used standard TPMS in early production before switching to bluetooth?)

The other issue is that even when I do get a VIN, it will (likely) be a 2021 model, which is not in their system yet anyway, and they still won't know which sensors to order.

So, the current plan is to order the tires unmounted, try to order sensors directly from the local SC (I have an email out to them), and hope they agree to mount and balance them so I don't have to involve yet another party (and more money) in this process.

I wish it were more straightforward, but man these wheels look nice on the MY!

P.S. Thanks @Frank N. Stein for the heads up about TireRack. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just thought others might be trying to do the same thing. If so, hope you have an easier time.

Reactions: Frank N. Stein
So I moved ahead with my winter wheel & tire order at TireRack last night. If anyone is interested, this is what I settled on:
  • Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 255/40R20 Front, 275/40R20 Rear (within about 1% of the OEM 21 inch tire diameter)
Wasn't planning to do a staggered setup, but they can't get more 8.5's in until at least end of January, so figured why not.

They called me back this morning about the TPMS. Without a VIN they can't source the sensors because apparently they have more than one listed for Model Y. (Personally I'm a bit skeptical, is it possible Tesla used standard TPMS in early production before switching to bluetooth?)

The other issue is that even when I do get a VIN, it will (likely) be a 2021 model, which is not in their system yet anyway, and they still won't know which sensors to order.

So, the current plan is to order the tires unmounted, try to order sensors directly from the local SC (I have an email out to them), and hope they agree to mount and balance them so I don't have to involve yet another party (and more money) in this process.

P.S. Thanks @Frank N. Stein for the heads up about TireRack. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just thought others might be trying to do the same thing. If so, hope you have an easier time.

re TPMS

There is a web site for parts, requires that you log in,
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/81851
so I do not know if these are specific to me having a MY PuP or not. Doubt it since I put these on different set of rims, but perhaps somebody with a LR AWD can also check.

TPMS Wheel Unit, BLE, Black, with Nut
1490750-01-A

There are 2 other items listed, but the one above is what you need for new install, not replacing existing. The above is the TPMS + the nut to lock it to the rim.

• Helpful
Reactions: Modulus1

Interesting setup. The factory wheels are 9.5”, not 8.5”. All of the stock are 255’s as well. The performance is staggered and the back is 275 on a 10.5” wheel.
My winter set is 10” wide with +40 offset, on 255’s. So when you install them you reboot the car with the 20” wheel non staggered configuration.
I have a vehicle with winter staggered setup and it has been nothing short of annoying.

My winter set is 10” wide with +40 offset, on 255’s. So when you install them you reboot the car with the 20” wheel non staggered configuration.

I don’t have my MY yet so I don’t know how this part works. So are the only available configurations in the software the two square (19”, 20”) and one staggered (21”) OEM setups? So if I do a staggered 20” setup, there won’t be a valid choice?

I have a vehicle with winter staggered setup and it has been nothing short of annoying.

How so? In the sense of finding/rotating tires, or annoying while driving?

I don’t have my MY yet so I don’t know how this part works. So are the only available configurations in the software the two square (19”, 20”) and one staggered (21”) OEM setups? So if I do a staggered 20” setup, there won’t be a valid choice?

How so? In the sense of finding/rotating tires, or annoying while driving?

there are only the 3 choices, ‘19 gemini’, ‘20 induction’ ‘21 uber staggered’. Not sure how much this setting impacts the vehicle. If you can go with the 9.5’s do that up front too, thats factory on 255.

i had lots of trouble with the staggered winter tires due to chasing odd tire sizes, hard to find wheels (11” rear), cant rotate. More hassle then it was worth. Summer set I can deal with staggered as the factory option, winter set is where I drew the line

Last edited:
FWIW, You can get the TPMS sensors used in the Model S, X, and 3 from RockAuto for $47 each (The very early MS came with a "Baolong" sensor that was phased out in early 2014). It is what I did for my snow tires on my P85D. It is the exact same VDO / Continental sensor that Tesla will sell you for more $$. The only question is whether the Y uses the same sensor - I compared the part numbers for the 3 and the Y and it seems to be the same. Still, just an informed guess... If you can actually talk to someone at a service center, you could ask if they all use the same sensor (please post if you find out...).

FWIW, You can get the TPMS sensors used in the Model S, X, and 3 from RockAuto for $47 each (The very early MS came with a "Baolong" sensor that was phased out in early 2014). It is what I did for my snow tires on my P85D. It is the exact same VDO / Continental sensor that Tesla will sell you for more $$. The only question is whether the Y uses the same sensor - I compared the part numbers for the 3 and the Y and it seems to be the same. Still, just an informed guess... If you can actually talk to someone at a service center, you could ask if they all use the same sensor (please post if you find out...).

Model Y and 2021+ Model 3s moved over to Bluetooth LE sensors.
Model Y & Refreshed Model 3 uses Bluetooth TPMS
I am constantly on the hunt to see if there's any aftermarket options available to carry in my shop.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David.85D