Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rack Staggered Tire Sizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tirerack.com is showing a staggered tire option for the Model 3 with two OE size options.

2F548E05-F58C-4FA9-8AE8-7360DE13BDF4.jpeg

Mistake, or Model 3 Performance tire sizes?

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade
Interesting find. I was hoping one of the options would be listed as the "original equipment" as well but I didn't find anything.
The sizes listed don't match any other Tesla offered, so it's certainly possible!
Also interesting that there are 2 different size options for a performance model neither of which match the base, which is a bit different from any S or X I know of.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if 265 width tires with 9.5 inch width wheels will fit on all four corners. Staggered setups are usually a little worse for handling. It's a common upgrade for BMWs at autocross to go with a "square" setup (equal sizes). I plan on getting the aero wheels for roadtrips and snow and getting a set of wheels with summer tires for around town and maybe an autocross day or two.

This does give me hope that 265 width tires will fit in the front. From what I've heard other manufacturer's staggered setups have enough clearance to fit the rear wheels on the front just in case someone tries to rotate the tires. It doesn't look like anyone has tried fitting wider wheels to the Model 3 yet.

I'm wondering if 265 width tires with 9.5 inch width wheels will fit on all four corners. Staggered setups are usually a little worse for handling. It's a common upgrade for BMWs at autocross to go with a "square" setup (equal sizes). I plan on getting the aero wheels for roadtrips and snow and getting a set of wheels with summer tires for around town and maybe an autocross day or two.

Generally speaking the reason a staggered setup would be worse for handling is because front engine cars tend to be slightly front biased for weight distribution. When you're going into a turn you're asking less tire to turn more car. If the Model 3 has 50/50 weight distribution or even rear biased distribution a staggered setup would likely offer better handling. For an extreme example of this look at the Nissan Deltawing car that ran at LeMans a few years back.

BMWs have 50/50 weight distribution and benefit from square tire setups. They reduce understeer and give faster lap times. I would guess that it's probably even more true for the dual motor Model 3. I haven't driven a Model 3 yet so I have no idea how much understeer it has. I'm not really an expert on this stuff. I'm just going by what the fast people at autocross do.

I went with a "square" setup on my GT-R, and it has a 50/50 weight. It definitely helps in the corners but I notice it binds more when turning sharply at low speeds. Could just be the front diff.

So for the Model 3, if you get the 19" are you getting a square setup or staggered?

My ideal setup would probably be 18x9.5 with 265/40R18 tires in whatever offset fits both front and back. Probably Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the tires. Going with 18s because they are cheaper and lighter and probably faster than 19s or 20s. Getting a little ahead of myself though. I'm waiting for the dual motor with the white interior.

• Helpful
Reactions: rsbell and DR61
Yeah, I figure that the staggered setup is for Performance cars. Not sure there will ever be a M3 P75D, but if you did have the dual motors you should get some more performance. I will get the 18's and when I wear out the first set of tires I can then decide if I wanna go for custom wheels and put snow tires on my Aeros

-Randy

at least one version does - the one I have is the same as @Snow Drift posted

With the various version of the manual we probably need to check pdf creation dates and versions. That is usually different to the file date stamp

The version you have is the original leaked manual that also showed a reference to the 75 kWh battery. Both are removed now in the latest version that I can find (as a non-owner): Updated Model 3 Owners Manual - Published 12/21/17 • r/teslamotors