Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire recommendation for 2017 model X p90d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I need to replace winter and summer tire soon.
Do you have any recommendation? Could you share your experience with tires?
I know MX is infamous for fast tire wear. How was it in your case?

I am browsing brands such as Continental, Kumho, Hankook, Bridgestone, etc

My tire size is the following
Summer tire - Rear: 285/ 3/ 22, Front: 265/ 35/ 22
Winter tire - 255/45-20, 275/45-20

Thanks in advance!

Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season
Other info

Reactions: Falcon73
I have the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 on my 20" wheels. These are my first winter tires, so I have nothing to reference them to, but based on a bunch of research at that time, the Blizzaks were highly recommended. As one of my first test, I pulled over on a patch of ice in an uphill then floored it. The car just took off straight, no swerving, no slipping, it was great. Tried similar tests for stopping distance and I was super impressed. Again, these were my first winter tires and comparison was against my previous all season tires.

I picked up the new Pirelli Scorpio Zero All Season ELECT last weekend for my 22" wheels. These are EV specific versions of the prior Pirelli Scorpio Zero All Season Asymetrico that came with my 22s. The EV versions are 5 lbs lighter with stiffer side walls and are supposed to be 15% more efficient. It's too soon to make any judgements, but I like them so far. They are super quiet and comfortable.

Winter: I have 19" Nokian Hakkapalita R3's
Summer: 20" staggered Tesla wheels w/ Cross Climate 2's

I went w/ the Cross Climate's to give me a little more usable time in the year before having to put on winter wheels. The weather can fluctuate a lot in MN as we approach winter, so not feeling like I HAVE to swap them the first time we get to a few days in the 30's is nice.

The CC's are a bit noisy in wet conditions, more so than the dedicated summer Pilot Sports I had previously, but they handle well, save for really slick wintery conditions where anything other than a good winter tire is going to slip.

Hello everyone,

I need to replace winter and summer tire soon.
Do you have any recommendation? Could you share your experience with tires?
I know MX is infamous for fast tire wear. How was it in your case?

I am browsing brands such as Continental, Kumho, Hankook, Bridgestone, etc

My tire size is the following
Summer tire - Rear: 285/ 3/ 22, Front: 265/ 35/ 22
Winter tire - 255/45-20, 275/45-20

Thanks in advance!

I would avoid the factory tire. The ExtremeContact that was posted is a good tire. One thing you will want to do some research on is road noise. I run 265 square Toyo Proxes ST III for summer and Hakkapeliitta 8s for winter. The Toyo is a great wet/dry tire but it is LOUD!

I picked up the new Pirelli Scorpio Zero All Season ELECT last weekend for my 22" wheels. These are EV specific versions of the prior Pirelli Scorpio Zero All Season Asymetrico that came with my 22s. The EV versions are 5 lbs lighter with stiffer side walls and are supposed to be 15% more efficient. It's too soon to make any judgements, but I like them so far. They are super quiet and comfortable.
This is most interesting as I've been looking to replace the wheels. I have the Asyemtrico now. Maybe what you did would be a better approach? Please update us on how they do! Thanks.

I have 20" wheels (rims) now (no tires yet) and am looking for recommendations for all-season tires for the new setup. Normally, we don't do summer & winter tires here, so I'm looking for all-around tires that get good Wh/mileage.

Thanks!
Michelin CrossClimate 2 - I put them on in June '22. They are impressive and I continually see positive reviews. Wh/mi has been great and I tested them on 6700+ mile road trip from Canada to Las Vegas.

Has Michelin Created The Best All Season Tire? Rain, Sun, or Snow!

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs PIlot Sport AllSeason 4 vs CrossClimate 2 vs X-Ice Snow! Tested and Rated

I have 20" wheels (rims) now (no tires yet) and am looking for recommendations for all-season tires for the new setup. Normally, we don't do summer & winter tires here, so I'm looking for all-around tires that get good Wh/mileage.

Thanks!
I have the CC suv. They are decent. I have been running them at 48 psi in the summer. They are noisier than other choices but I don’t mind at all.

When you say all season you should really pick a condition that most important to you. Mine was way traction. And breaking.

It's almost always dry here, but when it's not the roads are quite slick with all the oil on them. Also, we have a 2nd home in WA state and want to drive up our MX once a year, typically in summer.

Here's a few tires I'm looking at right now. I will see what America's Tire recommends tonight at my appointment.

Last edited:
It's almost always dry here, but when it's not the roads are quite slick with all the oil on them. Also, we have a 2nd home in WA state and want to drive up our MX once a year, typically in summer.

Here's a few tires I'm looking at right now. I will see what America's Tire recommends tonight at my appointment.

If that's your shortlist, the Michelin is the best tire on it. Hands down.

I use factory 20" rims with Blizzak for winter and its pretty noisy. My second winter with these tires and so far it's very good on ice and thick snow.
My summer are 22" Vossen HF-1 265 front and 285 back with Pilot Sport 4S. Drove on Low with the 4S for a total of 1.5 years and the inside wear is down to its metal mesh. I was very lucky the tires didn't blow out on me before I changed it to the winter tires. Tires are great but with the design flaw when driving on low it wears out the tires very very fast.