Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Recommendation - Quietest all season?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idk anything about the specific tires you're referencing but I know that most tests have found a 1-2db difference in OEM tires with and without the foam inserts. 9-10db is a massive difference since the noise is measured logarithmically - this does not sound correct at all.

I may have misheard him, but I thought he said 9-10 db with the foam inserts. Sounds like you know way more about the way this works than I do. Sorry for any confusion.

I may have misheard him, but I thought he said 9-10 db with the foam inserts. Sounds like you know way more about the way this works than I do. Sorry for any confusion.
I only believe ~50% of what the service techs tell me. haha

Normal highway road noise is ~70dB so bringing that down to normal conversation volume would be huge. I've not seen any tires that can make this much difference. dB chart for reference:

Decibel-Loudness-Comparison-Chart-46.png

I only believe ~50% of what the service techs tell me. haha

Normal highway road noise is ~70dB so bringing that down to normal conversation volume would be huge. I've not seen any tires that can make this much difference. dB chart for reference:

Decibel-Loudness-Comparison-Chart-46.png

Thanks for sharing. I should clarify. He meant the foam would reduce existing road noise by 9-10 db. Not sure if this helps.

I looked at those, but they are only rated 94V and not XL. The OEM tire specs for the LR Model 3 are 98W XL. I would be willing to go down a notch from the OEM speed rating from "W" to "V", but my understanding is that you should not mess with the weight rating. Am I wrong about that?

These are XL in the 19” size that I got. I have been driving the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus2 since December and can confirm they are definitely quieter than the oem Continentals.

Reactions: F123456
Idk anything about the specific tires you're referencing but I know that most tests have found a 1-2db difference in OEM tires with and without the foam inserts. 9-10db is a massive difference since the noise is measured logarithmically - this does not sound correct at all.
Also, the Goop imitation that Tesla puts
In their tire repair kit won’t work on foam filled tires. If you have a puncture, the foam prevents the goop from getting to it to seal it.

• Informative
Reactions: bbk3e and PNWLeccy
I will be interested in detailed reviews of the new Nokian One tires. Preliminary commentary indicates that they are very quiet, as well as being EV compatible in other ways (range, durability, and ability to withstand high-torque use).

I’d be curious how Nokian WR-G4 compares to the Nokian One. The One is all season, but the WR-G4 is all-weather.
The WRG4 has been around for a few years, so we know a bit more about it. It has been quite well reviewed, including for being quiet and providing impressive range/efficiency and having reasonably good road performance. As a tire with some real winter capability, it does appear, however, to be somewhat softer in handling characteristics than all-season tires and also seems not to be as long wearing. Also, for those of us in the Great White North who need a dedicated winter tire for extreme conditions, it does not quite cut it for the depths of winter.

All tires represent a compromise, and the WRG4 seems to be an excellent tire within the class of compromises it represents. Given, however, that I do have dedicated winter tires for my Model 3, I don't need to compromise on an 'all-weather' tire like the WRG4. But for places where you need something beyond an all-season for occasional winter driving, but don't want to invest in a separate set of winter tires,the WRG4 seems to be a good fit. I would see it as an alternative to the Michelin CrossClimate.

For those of us who want am 'all-season' tire (really, 3-season tire), the new Nokian One is an interesting new option.

I’m in Colorado. I don’t like swapping tires if I can help it and in the 8 years here…never had to. I’ve had really good experiences with All-Weather tires and okay with All-Seasons. So that’s where I’m coming from. Not quite GWN, but still a place where we’re on the edge of needing dedicated winter tires. My ideal would be an EV All Weather, but an All-Season that performs well enough and has EV characteristics is something I’d be interested in.

So for me - as I said, I’m interested in seeing a comparison between the two.

After all my research here and elsewhere, I just decided to get the Michelin Primacy MXM4s. That is, the same tires that came on the car.

I decided the QuietTrack was tempting, but it could be problematic to get them installed.

I looked at the Bridgestone Driveguard, but I don't need run-flat (I have a spare).

I got the tires at TireRack.com because they were out of stock at Costco and extra expensive at Les Scwhab.

Reactions: Dre78 and Kevy Baby
Good luck with the MXM4s. We ave 42 in. of rainfall and 18 in of snow per year here. I found the MXM4s to be the very worst tire (wet weather) of any tire I have driven on in my 53 years. Good range and a quiet ride don't mean much if you run into the back of someone else or slide through a corner.