Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Recommendation - Quietest all season?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't see a post specifically about this..

Can anyone recommend a tire for commuters in dry climates that want the quietest road experience?

I know TireRack has a road noise ratings, but I'd like to know if anyone has swapped the Model 3 OEM and definitely found something quieter. I'm on the 18's.

thanks in advance!

Didn't see a post specifically about this..

Can anyone recommend a tire for commuters in dry climates that want the quietest road experience?

I know TireRack has a road noise ratings, but I'd like to know if anyone has swapped the Model 3 OEM and definitely found something quieter. I'm on the 18's.

thanks in advance!

I put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires on my S 85D and absolutely love these tires. We recently went on a road trip and they handle amazingly well. Haven't had a chance to try them on snow, so will have to wait and see. The tires are quiet and provide a comfortable ride. We live in Idaho, so Les Schwab had the best price and offers great tire protection and service. You may want to check them out. I was told Tesla is now putting Continental tires on their factory roll outs.

I recently went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 to replace my stock MXM4's at 38k miles. Hard to say on efficiency so far, but is almost certainly going to be worse than the MXM4's. Surprisingly I found them to be quite a bit quieter than the originals, even though the MXM4's supposedly had the sound dampening foam. Pleased with the new ones overall.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I recently went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 to replace my stock MXM4's at 38k miles. Hard to say on efficiency so far, but is almost certainly going to be worse than the MXM4's. Surprisingly I found them to be quite a bit quieter than the originals, even though the MXM4's supposedly had the sound dampening foam. Pleased with the new ones overall.
I had those on my previous BMW, and was thinking about them for my Model 3. Have you noticed any difference in handling vs. the MXM4s?

Yes, this.
Just completed a 1100 mile road trip and saw hardly any watt/mile difference. Super pleased with these. Great in the rain too which the OEMs definitely were not.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I had those on my previous BMW, and was thinking about them for my Model 3. Have you noticed any difference in handling vs. the MXM4s?

Are you sure? The A/S 3+ has been around a while but the 4s just came out very very recently- it'd be odd if you had those on a previous car.

FWIW I just got a set myself recently- only have maybe 200 miles on em so far but they're way better performing than the MXM4s were and haven't noticed em being noisy either.... mileage is a little lower but not much (but then they're not even broken in yet so no idea what the real result will be)

Reactions: android04
Very impressive stats:

4545338B-9BB0-4F30-8C2E-F27BD48EA80F.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
I have about 250 miles on the A/S 4 so take this with a grain of salt. They seem louder, but the sound signature is less annoying, if that makes sense. They have a little less high frequency noise, and a little more lower.

Quiettracks IIRC don't meet the OEM load rating (98/XL) for 18" wheels (but oddly enough do for 19") so shops won't install them. Otherwise they would be great.

Yes, this.
Just completed a 1100 mile road trip and saw hardly any watt/mile difference. Super pleased with these. Great in the rain too which the OEMs definitely were not.

That's incredible, glad to hear!

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78 and bbk3e

I don't really throw my 3 around like I would do with my S2000 so hard to say. By the numbers they should be a significantly better performance tire. Maybe feels a little shaper on turn in. Wish I had some fun roads around me, but the Houston area is flat and boring for the most part. You need dangerous speeds to really push anything.

Reactions: hellocar
My tires are at almost 20k and I’m looking at replacements soon. My options are limited with my P3D 20 inch wheels. Has anyone tried AZENIS FK510? From the reviews I see the are just as sticky in sun/rain but quieter and cheaper than stock Michelin’s

The Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack
suppose to be one of the quietest out there, since I don’t need the range on my model 3, I will be going to these next year. 80,000 tread wear is also great.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+QuietTrack

I have had these on my 3 for the last 27,000 miles. They are a bit quieter than the Continentals. I have done a lot of sound conditioning in my Model 3 (you can see my posts in the sound threads). So, perhaps they did not make as a dramatic difference for me as they would for someone that did not work on the 3 to get the noise down. My 3 was mid 2018, so road noise has supposedly improved on the newer cars.

But, my mileage seems to be about 5-7% less with these tires. It is not dramatic, but I drive a lot and noticed it right away when I put them on. I have driven from roughly 40k miles to 67k miles on these tires. While they are not as efficient they sure last a lot longer, tread wear is better, I just went and checked while writing this my tires are at a 7 now. I went through 2 sets of the Continentals, 20k each, I change them once they get to around 5.

I have AWD w/19 inch tires.

I have had these on my 3 for the last 27,000 miles. They are a bit quieter than the Continentals. I have done a lot of sound conditioning in my Model 3 (you can see my posts in the sound threads). So, perhaps they did not make as a dramatic difference for me as they would for someone that did not work on the 3 to get the noise down. My 3 was mid 2018, so road noise has supposedly improved on the newer cars.

But, my mileage seems to be about 5-7% less with these tires. It is not dramatic, but I drive a lot and noticed it right away when I put them on. I have driven from roughly 40k miles to 67k miles on these tires. While they are not as efficient they sure last a lot longer, tread wear is better, I just went and checked while writing this my tires are at a 7 now. I went through 2 sets of the Continentals, 20k each, I change them once they get to around 5.

I have AWD w/19 inch tires.
Awesome review thanks, will definitely go with these for sure next year.

Fred