Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Recommendations for 18inch Tsportline Wheels on Tesl Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for tire recommendations for my Tesla Model Y LR. I just purchased 18inch wheels from T Sportline but need to get tires.

Was looking at Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack.. the tire guy suggested Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Does anyone have recommendations for experience with either of these tires? Thanks!

Looking for tire recommendations for my Tesla Model Y LR. I just purchased 18inch wheels from T Sportline but need to get tires.

Was looking at Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack.. the tire guy suggested Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Does anyone have recommendations for experience with either of these tires? Thanks!
What tire does TSportline provide when you purchase the wheel and tire package?

Upvote 0
You are in California, unless you go to the mountains regularly into the snow altitudes no need to get an all season tire. Also, do you want stock sized tires, or slightly over sized to compensate for the 2mph speedometer error? I went with a max performance summer tire (Continental ContiSportContact 3) in 255/55/18 (stock width, larger diameter) with the correct heavy duty load rating. Looking on tire rack dot com, (other retailers may have different options) If you want all seasons with almost the same original diameter you can go with a slightly narrower tires in a 235/55/18. The only tires in the "perfect" size (255/50/18) are very expensive and don't have the correct load rating. They would be fine for a driver and one passenger, but not for a fully loaded car, or for towing.

Looking at Tsportline wheel and tire packages, for street use they use a 245/50/18 (narrower, and slightly smaller diameter) and for off road use they provide the same size I used (255/55/18) but in an off road spec tire option.

Good luck,

Keith

Upvote 0
I have the Michelin Pilot sport all season on my Y. I like them a lot. I have the summer Michelin P4S on the M3 and in the summer they are enjoyable.
I’ve been watching for the Michelin P5 S as summer tire replacements. They look like a slight imp over the 4S.

If you drive-in snow, the all seasons are perfect. If you don’t, the try to find the 5S.

Upvote 0
I'm very interested in switching from my 19" Gemini's to 18" to improve the wide quality. To make a difference, a larger sidewall is needed (which an 18" wheel allows). I'm interested in the Tsportline TSR18 wheels in black (which they show with a November ship date).

I've sent a message to Tsportline asking if they will also offer Pirelli 255/55R18 XL 109V 800 A A as an option (they do have a couple other 255/55R18 tires) but I prefer the ride quality of the Pirelli's over the rugged offerings that they presently have. And I'd rather have Tsportline do balance and OEM TPMS as a complete package instead of me needing to run around piece-part'ing the process myself.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Upvote 0
I'm very interested in switching from my 19" Gemini's to 18" to improve the wide quality. To make a difference, a larger sidewall is needed (which an 18" wheel allows). I'm interested in the Tsportline TSR18 wheels in black (which they show with a November ship date).

I've sent a message to Tsportline asking if they will also offer Pirelli 255/55R18 XL 109V 800 A A as an option (they do have a couple other 255/55R18 tires) but I prefer the ride quality of the Pirelli's over the rugged offerings that they presently have. And I'd rather have Tsportline do balance and OEM TPMS as a complete package instead of me needing to run around piece-part'ing the process myself.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I heard back from Tsportline ("Customer Service Team", without an actual name):

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately we do not offer the tire that you are inquiring about. Please consider the options that we offer or you can just purchase the wheels and a set of TPMS sensors. Take them to your local wheel and tire store chain to be mounted. We are unable to mount tires that you would bring in to us.​

They won't do the size Pirelli's on their TSR18 wheels. In my opinion, they aren't trying hard enough. The tires that I want are the same size as the 3 rugged tires that they do offer. Same size, but street instead of rugged: 255/55R18. I want the taller sidewall to smooth out the ride. Lots of sources sell these Pirelli's and TireRack has them highest rated:

Pirelli​
Scorpion AS Plus 3​
Size: 255/55R18​
Style: Blackwall​
Load Range: XL​
Serv. Desc: 109V​
UTQG: 800 A A​

I'm perfectly willing to be the Guinea pig, but Tsportline's terse email said that they weren't interested. My local shops only do "OEM wheel sizes" and won't do 18" wheels on a Model Y. I looked into some DIY tire changers, but I don't have a way to balance at home.

This is silly. Can anyone recommend a company that actually sells some other brand of 18" wheels with these Pirelli 255/55R18 tires? I've already looked into Martian Wheels 18" but they seem to be having supply chain problems.

Thanks,

Scott

--

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is silly. Can anyone recommend a company that actually sells some other brand of 18" wheels with these Pirelli 255/55R18 tires? I've already looked into Martian Wheels 18" but they seem to be having supply chain problems.

Why don't just buy the rims and tires separately and have the mounted/balanced without mounting them onto the Y. Assuming you have a jack, hockey puck and lug wrench & torque wrench, just mount them at home yourself.

Just tell a local shop it's for a 2020 porsche macan or some other car with 255/55/18 as OEM.

Upvote 0
Why don't just buy the rims and tires separately and have the mounted/balanced without mounting them onto the Y. Assuming you have a jack, hockey puck and lug wrench & torque wrench, just mount them at home yourself.

Just tell a local shop it's for a 2020 porsche macan or some other car with 255/55/18 as OEM.

I appreciate the advice. However, why don't I just hand someone some money and have them do all of that? I've tried my local shops, they bring up "Tesla Model Y" on their screen, see 19", 20" , 21" as OEM sizes, then say "blah blah blah legal liability blah blah blah" for 18" wheels.

I could do as you describe, but the wheel also needs a Tesla Model Y TPMS unit. So the "porsche" scam won't quite work. :) Plus, I don't think 4 tires will fit in the back of my Model Y (but I haven't actually measured) so would need a truck or a trailer.

Simple advice to retailers: if you sell what people want, then you'll make a lot of money. If you don't, then you won't.

Scott

--

Upvote 0
I appreciate the advice. However, why don't I just hand someone some money and have them do all of that? I've tried my local shops, they bring up "Tesla Model Y" on their screen, see 19", 20" , 21" as OEM sizes, then say "blah blah blah legal liability blah blah blah" for 18" wheels.

I could do as you describe, but the wheel also needs a Tesla Model Y TPMS unit. So the "porsche" scam won't quite work. :) Plus, I don't think 4 tires will fit in the back of my Model Y (but I haven't actually measured) so would need a truck or a trailer.

Simple advice to retailers: if you sell what people want, then you'll make a lot of money. If you don't, then you won't.

Scott

--

Just making sure I have this situation strait...

The local tire shop(s) ??Multiple shops have told you this?? have some strange rule that they will not mount wheels and tires that are not the factory size (hint, they are lying to you) and that is A OK in your book... in your opinion it is their prerogative to refuse you service. But Tsportline refuses to expand their product line to a tire that they think will not be a big seller and you are butt hurt about it and think they are being rude when they say that they have no plans to sell the tires you want.

Keith

PS: If I believed this story, I would tell you to purchase the tires from tire rack dot com and have them shipped to one of their authorized installers, they pretty much do what the customer tells them to at tire shops in my area (my area being the anywhere I have ever lived in the United States in the last 30 years, 10 states out of 50). The only place I can think of that wouldn't do what you want is a Tesla Service center.

PPS: If the local tire shops are hell bent on not making money (what you accuse Tsportline of) tell them that you have a 2022 Model 3 long range. That will come up in their system as coming with optional 18 inch wheels and has the correct Bluetooth TPMS sensors for the Model Y.

Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
Just making sure I have this situation strait...

The local tire shop(s) ??Multiple shops have told you this?? have some strange rule that they will not mount wheels and tires that are not the factory size (hint, they are lying to you) and that is A OK in your book... in your opinion it is their prerogative to refuse you service. But Tsportline refuses to expand their product line to a tire that they think will not be a big seller and you are butt hurt about it and think they are being rude when they say that they have no plans to sell the tires you want.

Keith

PS: If I believed this story, I would tell you to purchase the tires from tire rack dot com and have them shipped to one of their authorized installers, they pretty much do what the customer tells them to at tire shops in my area (my area being the anywhere I have ever lived in the United States in the last 30 years, 10 states out of 50). The only place I can think of that wouldn't do what you want is a Tesla Service center.

PPS: If the local tire shops are hell bent on not making money (what you accuse Tsportline of) tell them that you have a 2022 Model 3 long range. That will come up in their system as coming with optional 18 inch wheels and has the correct Bluetooth TPMS sensors for the Model Y.

Yes, multiple shops. The problem, which I now realize, is that I had tried chain shops. The kid behind the counter brings it up on the computer, doesn't see 18-inch listed, and says that it doesn't fit.

So I tried a local Mom-and-Pop shop in the next town over. No problem. They said that they will give it a try and if it doesn't fit (hits the brakes) then they can order some Bora spacers.

To be frank, I was a little miffed so pardon my previous tone. And I was on the verge of buying the Harbor Freight tire mounter and balancer and doing it all myself. I would have except I don't have an air compressor to do the final bead seal nor the space in my garage to store all of this.

So if anyone else is getting the run-around at their local shop that they've been doing business with for decades, try a smaller shop that would be more flexible and willing to try new things.

So I'm back to Plan A: the Petrol P2B 18x8 40mm wheels with the Pirelli 255/50R18 109V XL tires.

Thanks to all,

Scott

--

Upvote 0