Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Repair Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit

How does this work? I understand that it is a compressor and also has the ability to insert tire repairing sealant into a tire to temporarily repair a flat. Is this a one time use item for $80? I don't see any cartridges of sealant available so I'm assuming so.

Okay, we have two Model 3's. My son works for Tesla. I am a Master Mechanic, and a Vintage Car Restorer. There is a HUGE problem that appears no one can answer. Has anyone actually used Tesla's Flat Fix Kit with success? The reason I ask is that all Tesla tires are fitted with a inner piece of sound deadening foam around the entire inner diameter. (Please see pix) This will prevent the sealant from reaching a small to medium puncture if it's within the center 3/4 of the tread patch.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 12.48.52 PM.png

The way its supposed to work on an non-sound-deadening tire is that after you remove the nail, the sealant is injected through the air valve along with the air from the pump. It then pools at the bottom of the tire (but the foam is in the way with a Tesla Tire) so when you drive off the sealant coats the entire inner surface of the tire, ON A NORMAL CAR. The air will then force the GOO sealant to enter the hole and plug it up...theoretically! (BTW, it's not permanent and the tire will need to be professionally repaired or replaced)

But if that inner foam deadener is in the way, it will not work for many reasons! #1) the sealant will pool onto the sides of the inner tire because of the foam and not in the center where it would normally go. #2) If the puncture id from a small to medium object along the center of the tire, once removed the sound-deadening foam will prevent the air pressure to get the sealant to the inner surface and through the puncture hole.

Therefore, has anyone actually used it on their Model-3's 19" or 20" wheels with success. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

@RIP->OPEC interesting post. I was about to order the Tesla Tire Repair Kit for my 3 when I read this. I’m no mechanic or anything, but my non-educated guess is that if air can get around that inner foam then the sealant goo should also be able to get around it and seal the puncture. At least temporarily, which as you pointed out is the intent of this product. I am very interested to see if anyone has actually used the kit on a Model 3 with success.

@RIP->OPEC interesting post. I was about to order the Tesla Tire Repair Kit for my 3 when I read this. I’m no mechanic or anything, but my non-educated guess is that if air can get around that inner foam then the sealant goo should also be able to get around it and seal the puncture. At least temporarily, which as you pointed out is the intent of this product. I am very interested to see if anyone has actually used the kit on a Model 3 with success.

Found this posted today on the Tesla Website:

November 2, 2018
A few things:
#1 The aftermarket spare tire kits available online come with a dangerous looking China made scissor jack. It not only has a flat head on it without the required pin for the Model 3 lift point, it has no provision to tie down and secure the wheel/tire assembly (off a Genesis) and could pose a severe safety risk in an accident situation as I fear it could come through the rear seats and into the passenger compartment. Plus the darn thing takes up your entire trunk! Good idea, poorly thought through.

#2 The issues with the Tire Sealant Kits you have all heard about are correct. If your Tesla tire has the sound deadening pad lining the inside of the tread, neither the Tesla nor the Green slime (etc) kits will work. https://carwitter.com/2013/08/17/quieter-tyres-from-continental-contisil... The reasons are simple. The pad is so dense and thick, it prevents the sealant from reaching and entering the hole. The sealants simply run alongside the outer edges of the pad, seep into the pad like a sponge, harden and will render the tire completely useless and unrepairable by a professional shop because the goo will disproportionally absorb into the sponge making rebalancing impossible. The ONLY solution would be to repla$e the tire or to physically remove the silencing pad entirely and then service the tire. You can get your money back if you complain. In fact I read that one Tesla owner had the company replace the unserviceable tire for free and refund him for the Repair kit as well!

#3 The Tesla Wheel Lock set made by RDK Tech for the Model 3 are also a possible scam. We bought two sets for our Teslas only to find that they were interchangeable despite the fact they both had different Keys Codes! A call to the manufacturer confirmed that they were aware of the problem, claimed they were only given a week to get their product designed and ready by Tesla Product Development. So all a thief needs to do is buy a set for himself and viola!... goodbye wheels.

I bought one. Mainly for the pump as I didn't have one previously, and wanted something to have inside the car. I plan to "top" the tires off monthly for efficiencies, which sadly, is something I didn't do on my previous cars. The back of the bag has the velcro-like locks and holds firmly in the trunk. Did I pay too much, probably, but I like how it feels like it's part of the car now.

• Informative
Reactions: MpowerSkills
I bought one. Mainly for the pump as I didn't have one previously, and wanted something to have inside the car. I plan to "top" the tires off monthly for efficiencies, which sadly, is something I didn't do on my previous cars. The back of the bag has the velcro-like locks and holds firmly in the trunk. Did I pay too much, probably, but I like how it feels like it's part of the car now.

Its looking like the Flat Fix kits by Tesla, Green Slime and/or Fix-a-flat will only work with Tesla models that don’t have the sound pad mounted inside each tire (like the Model X with 21” wheels).

Its looking like the Flat Fix kits by Tesla, Green Slime and/or Fix-a-flat will only work with Tesla models that don’t have the sound pad mounted inside each tire (like the Model X with 21” wheels).

That's good to know! Guess I'll top it off and drive to the nearest shop to get it properly fixed if it should ever happen (assuming it's a slow leak and not a blowout!)

You can use the Tesla compressor without pumping slime into the tire, e.g. to top off a slow leak or re-inflate after using a tire plug. It's a bit more expensive than some other compressors, but it'll also not blow the Model 3's fuse and comes in a nice compact case that sticks to the trunk/frunk liner ...

You can use the Tesla compressor without pumping slime into the tire, e.g. to top off a slow leak or re-inflate after using a tire plug. It's a bit more expensive than some other compressors, but it'll also not blow the Model 3's fuse and comes in a nice compact case that sticks to the trunk/frunk liner ...

This is why I bought mine to begin with (air). The slime was a bonus. Now I don't have to deal with finding a service station and dropping quarters in to get the pressures right. As you said, there are cheaper options, but I know this one will work. So far, so good.

Reactions: Futuresystem
I posted this in another thread and sharing here. I was looking at the Modern Spare Mode 3 complete kit. I have 19" wheels and had pinged them to find out if this will work and got their response below. I don't know enough to comment and would appreciate some guidance and thoughts on those who do.

Good day! Yes, Our spare will work on all model 3 variants. It will work on 18", 19" & even 20".

I understand that you might be concerned about the wheel being 18" while your stock wheel is 19". The diameter of the wheel itself is irrelevant as compared to the rolling diameter of the tire on the wheel. Essentially, the height of the spare tire needs to match the height of your wheel & tire assembly. Our wheel is installed with a taller tire to match the rolling diameter (height) of your factory tire size. Our spare has a rolling diameter of 26.5" and you factory tire has 26.4".

With that being said, I can guarantee that the spare will work best for your Model 3.

Thank you!