TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire Repair Kit?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Smitty79, Aug 14, 2019.

1. KenC

KenC Active Member

2. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

@KenC I just checked eBay for those Porsche jacks and found nothing but over priced junk - no cranks either. I need to see if a 5.5” min height works when jack pads are in place. If so, I’m getting this bad boy. Like another poster said, it might be freezing or wet when the flat occurs. Knowing my luck, that would likely be the case!

3. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Been there, done that. ;)

Bought that one and it was as weak as *sugar* and returned it.

Bought another power one (telescopic hydraulic I think) that was very strong but would not go low enough if I had a flat tire and returned it.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Member

I bought the Tesla repair kit because I'm not the type of guy that’s patient enough to sit on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Haven’t actually got a flat in many, many, years but it was $80 so cheap insurance.

5. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

I didn’t look that close but this one looks pretty good. You don’t really need the crank, it’s better to convert it to a 3/8 or 1/2 drive and use a ratchet.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo OEM Aluminum Scissor Lift Floor Tire Jack HP 9000N | eBay

Actually here is a better one

1997-2004 Porsche 911 996 Boxster 986 Spare Tire Jack Lift 99672171100 | eBay

• Helpful x 1
  6. tvad

tvad Member

Interested to know if anyone regrets their purchase of the ModernSpare Tesla spare tire kit because of the space it takes in the trunk?

7. jebinc

8. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

What did you get?

9. jebinc

This 95113605-B156-4206-8449-8C2FBDD1B16E.jpeg

10. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Before buying any sort of "Tire Slime" or "Fix-A-Flat" type products, you should watch this video:

My P3D- Came with 19" wheels, and Continental tires. Not sure if they have the acoustic layer in them that prevents tire slime, fix-a-flat, et al. from working. Pics to come in a few minutes.

11. mike123abc

mike123abc Member

The 19" OEM Continental tires have the acoustic foam inside. I had one of mine fixed recently.

The solution I have is just to carry a small air compressor. Plug it into the 12v and air up the tire. If it is a nail or screw it will slowly leak out, but I find it no trouble to drive to a tire shop.

• Informative x 1
  12. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Here's pics of my stock tires... Looks like I'm going to have to attach the images, as inline images are throwing a security error right now for some reason. Anyway, they're Continentals, and they don't mention anything about acoustics.

IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1280.JPG

Attached Files:

13. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

#33 Phlier, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Ah, thanks for that.

I'm also getting a plug kit.

My "spare tire" kit consists of:

A plug kit
    Rubber Cement (lubes the plugs)
    Vise Grips
    Needle Nose Pliers
    Spare Valve Stems
    Air Compressor
    Name Brand "Tire Slime" (bought it before I found out about the acoustic layer problem)

Anyone that is using the name brand "Fix-A-Flat" should really watch the video I posted above. "Fix-A-Flat" completely failed to fix flats. Tire Slime ended up being the top brand that is rated for use in on-the-road tires. But of course, none of them should be used in tires that have the acoustic foam layer.

The nice thing about plug kits is that, properly done, it is a fairly permanent repair.

14. jebinc

15. KenC

KenC Active Member

No "TO" marking?

16. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Not that I’ve been able to find yet, but I haven’t thoroughly checked them out yet.

17. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

I have Continental Tires

18. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

What does TO stand for?

19. KenC

KenC Active Member

Didn't buy either of those, but you made me look, so I did get a Porsche jack with handle and foam insert. The powered scissorjack works fine, but I'll keep it for home use. With the pump using the 12V outlet, it just makes it easier not to have to share the 12V outlet with the jack as well.

20. mike123abc

mike123abc Member

TO is the Telsa version with the foam inside look by the rim:
    IMG_0267.jpeg