TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire Repair Kit?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Smitty79, Aug 14, 2019.

1. KenC

KenC Active Member

TO = Tesla Ocoustic.

Honestly, I have no idea, but that's their symbol for Tesla-specific tires, probably Tesla Original Equipment.

2. Nels

Nels Member

So, is the consensus that the Tesla "Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit" doesn't work on the 18" aeros?

3. KenC

KenC Active Member

Yes, a slime kit won't work on tires with acoustic foam inside.

4. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

It will work, but will require the likely replacement of tire and TPMS sensor. :eek: The compressor will always work. Even with a nail in the tire, just pump it up and drive to a tire store. ;) No slime required. You can also get a plug kit as well, if you so chose. :)

5. tvad

tvad Member

The problem with slime and acoustic foam tires is the slime gets absorbed by the open cell acoustic foam and does not reach the actual puncture, therefore it cannot seal the hole.

So, I respectively disagree with the opinion that slime (or similar sealant) will work on acoustic foam tires.

6. jebinc

No worries. Others have reported it does work, so there's that. It could be a hit or miss kind of thing, given the location of the puncture. I won't be using the slime myself, but rather one of the other tow methods I already described.

7. tvad

tvad Member

You aren't on board with the ModernSpare kit idea?

8. jebinc

I purchased the 4000# scissor jack that came with that kit, a high end plug kit, and the Tesla compressor (and slime). I didn't want to take away precious cargo space with a spare tire - especially if I threw in the spare for longer road trips (where I would likely need the cargo space, etc.)

9. tvad

tvad Member

That's the conundrum.

The Model 3 is primarily my wife's car, so a jack and patch kit is not much use to her. She either needs a reliable tow service or spare tire.

10. jebinc

That makes sense.