Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Repair (reinflation) Kit - Does it Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay - sorry if this is a repeat .... but I’ve only been able to find incomplete or conflicting info so far ....

Has anyone used the Tesla tire repair kit (compressor and sealant)? Did it work?

Is there another reinflation kit out there that has been used successfully with the Tesla as-delivered tires?

I haven't used tesla's reinflation kit but I used one from my older car which uses a compressor and sealant recently. I assume they work the same way and the sealant isn't some special compound that tesla uses. For me, I found out I had two nails after the repair. I was able to inflate my flat with the compressor with enough pressure to drive carefully to the closest tire store for the tire repair. I didn't use the sealant because I don't think its meant to be a permanent plug. I used the sealant on my previous car's tire and when I brought it to a tire shop to see if it could get patched they wouldn't touch the tire because of sealant. Learned my lesson from that experience.

Reactions: BitJam
On the Tesla shop site, it says the tire repair kit is currently unavailable. Anyone know what's going on? And, especially, when will they be available again? The description says the compressor has a data connection to the car which sounds awesome. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

On the Tesla shop site, it says the tire repair kit is currently unavailable. Anyone know what's going on? And, especially, when will they be available again? The description says the compressor has a data connection to the car which sounds awesome. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
The SENSOR safety system will electronically check for a secure connection between the sealant hose and tire valve to prevent accidental misuse of the kit.

Not a data connection; the inflator pump has a two-way valve depending on whether you are pumping the sealant into the tire or just adding air to the tire. The SENSOR safety system helps ensure you don't damage the inflator when connecting the air line. There is nothing unique about the Tesla tire repair kit, just conveniently packaged.

I carry one of the Tesla tire repair kits in my Model Y because it came with the vehicle (Maryland statute requires new vehicles come with either a spare tire and tire changing tools or a compatible tire inflator kit.) I have never used it.

You would be just as well to purchase a well reviewed 12V inflator: The Best Tire Inflators

If you find a screw or nail in a tire don't try and pull it out. Use the inflator pump to add air and drive slowly to where the tire can be repaired.

You might also want to keep a tire plug kit in the Tesla vehicle.

If the vehicle is not able to be driven contact Tesla Roadside Assistance; Tesla will dispatch a contracted tow service with a flat bed tow vehicle to your location.

Last edited: