Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think tire shops are generally pretty experienced at putting a plug in a puncture, if that is what you are asking. The Model S tires are just tires, after all.

I had one of my Michelin Primacy tires plugged a few months ago after it got a screw stuck in it and had a slow leak. For about two months t
The tire held pressure. Lately it has been going down to around 40psi over a 2-3 day period and I've been refilling it regularly. It may have a new slow leak or maybe the plug is failing, not sure. But as my tires still have probably 10K worth of tread left on the, I'm trying to keep that tire going for awhile before replacing it since if I do I will have to buy two new tires, not one.

@escarfan, I'm right there where you are: I've a screw in my tire and a slow leak. I went to Tire Store and they will not plug a tire. I called American Tire and same answer. Tesla S.C. does not repair but will sell me one at cost.
A shop has been recommended to me, experienced in Tesla, which I will let patch the tire. I will get rotation then also.
~Larry

Larry, I used San Mateo Tire & Brake. Nice people, fair prices. Any good shop can plug a slow leak, nothing special about doing it on a tire on a Tesla.

IMHO, if a tire shop doesn't want to plug a tire with a slow leak, it's because the don't want to be bothered with work that doesn't make them much money, they want to sell new tires. Nothing wrong with that per se, just a business decision.

Probably too far for you, but I just got all new tires put on at Wheel Works in Santa Cruz and they did a flawless job. I was one nervous customer, let me tell you.

I bought one of these on Amazon for 45.00 and keep it in my emergency kit. There is a trehad on the forum about how well it worked, but I can't find it to point you to it.

Safety Seal 30 String Pro Tire Repair Kit

Like CHG-ON, I too bought (and have used) the Safety Seal kit offered on Amazon for $45. It is a HIGH QUALITY kit. The tools will last a lifetime--all made in the USA. I used the kit without issue in one of my MS tires and have put about 5,000 miles on since the puncture without any problems--no leaking at all. On Amazon, search "safety seal tire repair kit" and it's the first product listed in the search result. I highly recommend the kit. A buddy of mine says many shops use this exact kit to perform their repairs.

Totally awesome to hear WeazL. I have not had to use it use yet and now feel more confident with the buy.

Like CHG-ON, I too bought (and have used) the Safety Seal kit offered on Amazon for $45. It is a HIGH QUALITY kit. The tools will last a lifetime--all made in the USA. I used the kit without issue in one of my MS tires and have put about 5,000 miles on since the puncture without any problems--no leaking at all. On Amazon, search "safety seal tire repair kit" and it's the first product listed in the search result. I highly recommend the kit. A buddy of mine says many shops use this exact kit to perform their repairs.