Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire replacement for Model Y - feedback on Cooper or General?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Last week, I made Houston to Denver and on the way, one tire hit a nail. I got it plugged (see picture below) and was able to make it to Denver.

I went to Tire Discount to check my tires and they told me the plug may damage the car and the tire may blow on the highway. They recommended to replace all four tires. I have 22,000 miles on the car.

They recommended the General Altimax tire and the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. I am not familiar with these brands and wanted to know if someone tried it.

Two questions
1. Do I need to replace the tire or can I drive another 5,000 miles on it?
2. About the brands, did someone tried General or Cooper? Is that a red flag or a safe bet?

Thank you,

67201818930__7A921BA7-2FC5-40CB-A86C-D80F63BB2111.jpeg

That definitely needs to be replaced. At a minimum, you should replace at least the opposite tire as well. As for the brands, I don’t have any input on that. I tend to go Michelin‘s or Continentals. IMO, they are passing on what they have in stock for that size wheel. Like everything else nowadays, tires have been difficult to come by

Reactions: juli1
Yes, that's not a good plug fix replace. And if all those 22K miles are on these tires I'd replace all 4 ea. for sure. If you have a choice I'd go with Michelin PS AS4's. If it's really down to those 2 brands for some reason I'd choose the Generals.

That said, search a bit here and you'll see some good tire recommendations for your 19's. If they need to order I'd make due for a few days and wait to get exactly what you want.

Last edited:
I'm at 20k miles and will be due for a replacement within the next year or so. Initially, I was leaning towards the General Altimax tires but after comparing them with the competition, I noticed that 60-0 braking times on the Generals were significantly worse.

$80/tire is worth the increase if it means avoiding rear ending someone in a panic braking situation.

1650757787120.png

1) The tire with the plug near the sidewall needs to be replaced before your continue your 5000 mile trek.
2) I have owned General tires in the past with good results. I have no recent experience with General brand tires.
3) Purchase Discount Tire's Certificate(s) for the new tires so that if you have any issue with the new tires Discount Tire will repair or replace at no cost to you. As long as the tire has at least 3/32" of remaining tread the tire is covered under the Discount Tire Certificate. That means any future punctures, blowouts or tire failure, no matter the cause, would be fully covered at no cost to you. The cost per tire for the certificate is, I believe, $37.

I'm at 20k miles and will be due for a replacement within the next year or so. Initially, I was leaning towards the General Altimax tires but after comparing them with the competition, I noticed that 60-0 braking times on the Generals were significantly worse.

$80/tire is worth the increase if it means avoiding rear ending someone in a panic braking situation.

View attachment 796872

I noticed that. However, due to my driving style (always on autopilot at low speed), I do not think it will affect me much. I am also based in Colorado so Winter Rating is important too. And the General seems to be quieter.

I have the General Altimax RT43 on 19s as my winter tires, and they are perfectly fine. For sure louder than oem, because there is no foam, but for wear, tear and handling, perfectly fine. I am not racing anyone or driving aggressively with those tires on anyway.

Reactions: juli1
I have the General Altimax RT43 on 19s as my winter tires, and they are perfectly fine. For sure louder than oem, because there is no foam, but for wear, tear and handling, perfectly fine. I am not racing anyone or driving aggressively with those tires on anyway.
Interesting, they are marked as more quiet than the other tires available 🤔