TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire Replacement Poll for P85+ Owners

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by darthvdr, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Plus owners, when did you replace your tires?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2014.
  1. 6000-9000

21.4%
  2. 9000-12000

7.1%
  3. 12000-15000

21.4%
  4. 15000-19000

50.0%
  1. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

A bit surprised that we had to change out our tires in just 11,000 miles. We were told that the inside was completely bald. He did say that it is natural for the camber to go off naturally over time and because these are high-performance tires that needing to change the tires at my current rate is normal. I would like to post a poll to see where the plus owners were at when your tires needing replacement.

I only want to make sure this is normal and I am not an outlier. Thank you.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

FWIW, my first two sets of *non* Plus tires (Continental) were replaced after 8,500 miles per set.

3. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Who told you so? Who is 'he'?
    Someone at the Service Center or an independent party?

There seems to be some occassional denial of wrong alignments going on in Service Centers. Lots of mention on our TMC forum, at least.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Poll doesn't specify which tires. There's likely to be a big difference between the 19"s and 21"s to start with. In our case we replaced the rears only at ~7,000 miles, the fronts lasted much longer.

5. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

11K miles sounds about normal for a plus. Several plus owners had the rear tires go at 3K-5K miles due to bad alignment. I've had hi-perf rear wheel drive cars before and 10K-15K for rear tires is about what is expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Poll is labeled "P85+"...

6. KOL2000

KOL2000 Member

Here we go again. I've had three sets of REAR tires. Front still look fine @ 16k.

Cords showing @ 6k, 10k, 15k. Only paid for the 15k replacement.

7. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

Making the rotation after 7 or 8,000 miles is a must in order to keep them longer.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Smart alec... :p. So nobody with a plus put 19"s on?

Discussed over here: P85-with-19-wheels

9. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

A poll for one person, then. :)

10. Owner

Owner Active Member

11. Juan Burgundy

Juan Burgundy Member

Sell the car if you're worried about tires...i'm tired of these posts.

12. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I can't really contribute much proper data, but on my P85+ the inside edges of the 265/35-21s show cord, but I have lots of tread all across at 8500 miles. This wear is due to fairly massive rear tow-out for as-of-yet unknown reasons despite multiple "good" alignments from the Service Center. With my driving style I would have expected about double this (I am mostly always in granny mode in std height despite the P85+ with air). Mid/upper teens or better longevity (wearing tread out, not inside shoulder) has been my experience in the past with similar high performance cars with fat soft tires. Misalignment really is not the point of your poll I don't think, but maybe it should be.

13. lloyds

lloyds Member

Mine changed out at 14k

14. JPP

JPP Active Member

...if you don't ask the right question, you won't get the full answer.

I have 17k on my OEM Goodyear 19s and still looking good.

15. Kraken

Kraken Member

I have the 21s on my p85+. The first tire blew out on a pothole at 5k. The next one needed replacement at 15k (that side's first replacement). The most recent one was at 25k (so, it had been on there since 5k... 20k total on it). These were all rears. The fronts are at 27k now and look barely used according to the service center.

Disregarding the one that hit a pothole, I am averaging 17.5k on my tires. I used to get about 22-25k on the tires on my ford focus. So far the Tesla isn't doing too shabby, if you ask me. I still think there is an issue, but it isn't as bad as it first seemed (on my car). Wish I got the free replacements... lol

16. Owner

Owner Active Member

Hi Kraken,

Just because I have actually met you in person! Can I clarify this a bit. From what I understand your almost all freeway driving and in the flats?

17. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

It will be interesting to tabulate the data in from the poll for another dimension.

1. Plus owners with the staggered tire set-up (I presume this is what the poll was for?)
    2. Plus owners that have straight 21s" (non-staggered).
    3. Plus owners that have switched to 19"
    4. Those owners that missed the point about Plus or are not sure what they have.

:)

18. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

#18 AlMc, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Still on originals on my P85+; 11K on them; rechecked alignment at 6K ***I put on winter 21s for 4K this winter***

To be clear: 15K overall; 11k and still going w/ 6/32 inside rear depth on the original Michelins 4K on winters

I realize this is a non scientific poll. But it is also important to know how these cars were driven. Quick take offs and lots of highway driving causing the car to 'auto lower', thus changing the alignment angles, will cause faster wear.

19. Kraken

Kraken Member

Flats? You mean the central valley? Yeah, most of the driving is in the central valley with a few trips on highways through the bay area.

The first 10k miles were driving around town locally mainly (we worked close). At 5k, right about the time the first tire blew out on a pothole on base, they restricted lowering.
    Then, the next 15k + have included a lot of daily highway miles with some driving around town. Our commute went form 20 miles to 150 daily. There have been a few hills driving through the Sierra foothills, but a good majority are too and from work on I-80 and Cal 70 in the central valley.

20. Owner

Owner Active Member

One thing I was told was that because I live in a hilly area my tires will wear out faster (more regenerative braking). Someone had suggested I try turning off regen for a while to see if it would make a difference, but that would require a whole set of tires to really tell. I only live at a few hundred feet in elevation but the 1/4 mile road to my house has a 17% grade.

I'm wondering if your getting such good wear on your tires is because your driving in the central valley (flats)