Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire replacement time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
26000 miles, Fronts are a bit worn off and rears are getting there. Before I head to snowy (crossing my fingers) mountains of California, I would like to get them replaced.

Where is the best place to get your tires replaced in Bay Area? I am afraid to take her to anywhere who has no idea how to handle the air suspension etc.

I also have a scheduled service appointment, I might ask them to replace with ContiSilents. Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Conti DWS06 are my other options.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
26000 miles, Fronts are a bit worn off and rears are getting there. Before I head to snowy (crossing my fingers) mountains of California, I would like to get them replaced.

Where is the best place to get your tires replaced in Bay Area? I am afraid to take her to anywhere who has no idea how to handle the air suspension etc.

I also have a scheduled service appointment, I might ask them to replace with ContiSilents. Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Conti DWS06 are my other options.
You're wise to replace those tires before heading for snow country. Check the pricing at Tire Rack before you have the SC do it. I replaced my 4 Continental CrossContact LX from them for $1,398 including shipping. They will provide names and rates of local firms to R&R the tires.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I only paid $340 with tax to replace a 22” rear tire, Perelli Scorpions. Got it done at a SC. My temp that I put on at a local dealer was a little cheaper but they ended up dinging the rim since they weren’t used to such large wheels. Good thing is they paid to have it repaired.

Something interesting to report. When I mentioned in my review that I paid $128 for installation, Tire Rack contacted me and said, it should be $92 per the agreement with Big O Tires and they will refund the excess fee. They gained a long time customer out of me.

Here is my report.

20” Pirelli Scorpion Zeros from tire rack. $1020 including shipping. $128 for installation. SC quoted me $1600.
Looking at the spies on my new tires, it does not matter how much thread left on the old ones, I can see that they will make a difference.

Well, I got the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+ installed yesterday and so far, I'm very impressed. I'm surprised at how much quieter they are then the Conti-silents I had before. Also, the handling feels very good and traction on a frost covered road at 34 degrees this morning was very impressive. $1042 installed at Discount Tire.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I'm at 2 years and 28k miles on my '16 X90D and the OE ContiSilents. While I'm actually happy with how well the ContiSilents held up, contrary to many owners reporting otherwise and the negative reviews of these tires online, because these have more road noise then I like and aren't great in "all-season" driving I'm planning to change to a different tire now when I replace these this month. I'm debating between the following:
  1. Continental DWS06
  2. Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
  3. Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus
Some factors with each that make me unsure which to go with or would be better than the other:

ContiSilent tires weigh 30lbs each, all three of these weigh more (32-35 lbs). Not sure if this will result in a negative impact on efficiency and range...?

The Conti DWS06 front tires would be a 255/45/20 instead of the 265/45/20 OE that I currently have. Is that a big deal? The 265/45/20 DWS60 does not come in an XL load rating.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde front has an H speed rating which is lower than what Tesla recommends in it's owner's manual and what my Tesla SC said is best for a vehicle with the torque and weight of the Model X. They recommend a minimum speed rating of V, but W or Y are would also be just fine. Any thoughts on this? Does this just mean these tires will wear faster?

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero are probably the best fit in terms of load/speed ratings and size. However, I've read reviews that they are not great all-season tires, better for performance driving. Not sure if there's a lot of truth or ways to gauge this without trying...

Most of my driving is local/highway (daily commuting) and the occasional long-distance trips. The average winter for where we live may have 1-2 decent snow storms where we get 6+ inches, sometimes 12+ inches...but probably not going to drive in anything that's a foot or more anyway......

Given all this, I guess I'm now leaning towards the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus. If anyone has other thoughts on these three, feel free to provide any constructive feedback or things to consider.

Thanks in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: aloha1906