Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire replacement time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ContiSilent tires weigh 30lbs each, all three of these weigh more (32-35 lbs). Not sure if this will result in a negative impact on efficiency and range...?

The lighter tire will actually have a positive impact on efficiency and range in theory. In reality, you probably won't notice it. 2-5lb reduction on a wheel/tire combo that weighs in at 60lbs (plus wheel weights, dirt/grime, air weight, etc.)

The Conti DWS06 front tires would be a 255/45/20 instead of the 265/45/20 OE that I currently have. Is that a big deal? The 265/45/20 DWS60 does not come in an XL load rating.

Going to a 255 from a 265 does matter, it'll affect efficiency and handling. The good news is that the MX originally came with 255/45/20 so they're a tire that isn't far off in terms of working with the car.

If you don't do a lot of towing; then you may also be ok with a non XL tire in the 265/45/20 It really depends on how much you carry. The XL tire has a load rating of 2039lbs vs 1984lbs of a non-XL tire. For comparison sake, the 22" wheels would utilize the Continental DSW06 front tires in a 265/35/22 size with a 1874lbs load rating.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde front has an H speed rating which is lower than what Tesla recommends in it's owner's manual and what my Tesla SC said is best for a vehicle with the torque and weight of the Model X. They recommend a minimum speed rating of V, but W or Y are would also be just fine. Any thoughts on this? Does this just mean these tires will wear faster?

A speed rating is literally just that. It's the maximum speed that your tire is designed for. The speed rating of H is good enough for 130mph. While this doesn't have a direct impact on things like tire wear or traction; you'll find that tires are generally designed for their purpose and have associated characteristics (ie, winter/snow tires are rarely rated to go 186mph; super sticky max summer tires are rarely designed for a 130mph max)

Tire wear and traction are better measured by their wear and traction ratings.

Also, are you sure about the Pirelli Scorpion Verde? That's a summer tire and a bit different than the other two tires you have listed. This would be a bad tire for snow/cold weather driving. The rubber compound is designed for heat and would be rock hard in the winter. I'm also not sure it actually comes in a H rating...

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero are probably the best fit in terms of load/speed ratings and size. However, I've read reviews that they are not great all-season tires, better for performance driving. Not sure if there's a lot of truth or ways to gauge this without trying...

It really depends on what you're comparing it to. They're still an all season tire, but every all season tire is engineered with different tendencies. Some are more wet friendly and sacrifice cold weather performance or dry performance. Some try to achieve all three. It varies.

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero; there's plenty of people who use theirs year round. I commend it for doing a pretty good job at being road compliant. I'm still on these on my 22's; while most say the 22's are a harsh ride I think it does a pretty darn good job at being comparable to the 20's. With that said, I find the performance is a bit lacking.

They're pretty good in the dry; the added tire width helps with this as well, but in wet/cold hard stop situations I wasn't a huge fan. While they've been consistent and predictable in normal driving, the hard stop was alarming for me as they gave way/slipped much more than I expected where as the OEM Contisilents are much more consistent during the stop. Ultimately, they both stopped me in time so I can't fault it too much for actual performance but more so the subjective feel.

Most of my driving is local/highway (daily commuting) and the occasional long-distance trips. The average winter for where we live may have 1-2 decent snow storms where we get 6+ inches, sometimes 12+ inches...but probably not going to drive in anything that's a foot or more anyway......

Given all this, I guess I'm now leaning towards the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus. If anyone has other thoughts on these three, feel free to provide any constructive feedback or things to consider.
!

The DWS06 (D = Dry, W = Wet, S = Snow) is one of the best all weather tires available (my subjective) because it does a phenomenal job (for an all season) in the wet and snow while being a reasonable price. If I was not switching for winter specific; this is generally my tire of choice. If I'm swapping; I generally prefer a pure summer tire for Spring/Summer and a winter tire for Fall/Winter.

I would recommend reading this to understand tire ratings: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35&
While my preference and subjective opinion differs from these, these comparison tests may also be of interest to you:
Continental DWS06 Comparison Test
Pirelli SCorpion Zero Comparison Test

The lighter tire will actually have a positive impact on efficiency and range in theory. In reality, you probably won't notice it. 2-5lb reduction on a wheel/tire combo that weighs in at 60lbs (plus wheel weights, dirt/grime, air weight, etc.)

Going to a 255 from a 265 does matter, it'll affect efficiency and handling. The good news is that the MX originally came with 255/45/20 so they're a tire that isn't far off in terms of working with the car.

If you don't do a lot of towing; then you may also be ok with a non XL tire in the 265/45/20 It really depends on how much you carry. The XL tire has a load rating of 2039lbs vs 1984lbs of a non-XL tire. For comparison sake, the 22" wheels would utilize the Continental DSW06 front tires in a 265/35/22 size with a 1874lbs load rating.

A speed rating is literally just that. It's the maximum speed that your tire is designed for. The speed rating of H is good enough for 130mph. While this doesn't have a direct impact on things like tire wear or traction; you'll find that tires are generally designed for their purpose and have associated characteristics (ie, winter/snow tires are rarely rated to go 186mph; super sticky max summer tires are rarely designed for a 130mph max)

Tire wear and traction are better measured by their wear and traction ratings.

Also, are you sure about the Pirelli Scorpion Verde? That's a summer tire and a bit different than the other two tires you have listed. This would be a bad tire for snow/cold weather driving. The rubber compound is designed for heat and would be rock hard in the winter. I'm also not sure it actually comes in a H rating...

It really depends on what you're comparing it to. They're still an all season tire, but every all season tire is engineered with different tendencies. Some are more wet friendly and sacrifice cold weather performance or dry performance. Some try to achieve all three. It varies.

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero; there's plenty of people who use theirs year round. I commend it for doing a pretty good job at being road compliant. I'm still on these on my 22's; while most say the 22's are a harsh ride I think it does a pretty darn good job at being comparable to the 20's. With that said, I find the performance is a bit lacking.

They're pretty good in the dry; the added tire width helps with this as well, but in wet/cold hard stop situations I wasn't a huge fan. While they've been consistent and predictable in normal driving, the hard stop was alarming for me as they gave way/slipped much more than I expected where as the OEM Contisilents are much more consistent during the stop. Ultimately, they both stopped me in time so I can't fault it too much for actual performance but more so the subjective feel.

The DWS06 (D = Dry, W = Wet, S = Snow) is one of the best all weather tires available (my subjective) because it does a phenomenal job (for an all season) in the wet and snow while being a reasonable price. If I was not switching for winter specific; this is generally my tire of choice. If I'm swapping; I generally prefer a pure summer tire for Spring/Summer and a winter tire for Fall/Winter.

I would recommend reading this to understand tire ratings: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35&
While my preference and subjective opinion differs from these, these comparison tests may also be of interest to you:
Continental DWS06 Comparison Test
Pirelli SCorpion Zero Comparison Test

@Yinn YOU ROCK!! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and providing valuable info. Genuinely appreciate it!

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and steveho
26000 miles, Fronts are a bit worn off and rears are getting there. Before I head to snowy (crossing my fingers) mountains of California, I would like to get them replaced.

Where is the best place to get your tires replaced in Bay Area? I am afraid to take her to anywhere who has no idea how to handle the air suspension etc.

I also have a scheduled service appointment, I might ask them to replace with ContiSilents. Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Conti DWS06 are my other options.
26,095 , 20" original Conti need new ones. Thinking we were going to get 40,000 miles in the beginning.

I'm at 2 years and 28k miles on my '16 X90D and the OE ContiSilents. While I'm actually happy with how well the ContiSilents held up, contrary to many owners reporting otherwise and the negative reviews of these tires online, because these have more road noise then I like and aren't great in "all-season" driving I'm planning to change to a different tire now when I replace these this month. I'm debating between the following:
  1. Continental DWS06
  2. Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
  3. Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus
Some factors with each that make me unsure which to go with or would be better than the other:

ContiSilent tires weigh 30lbs each, all three of these weigh more (32-35 lbs). Not sure if this will result in a negative impact on efficiency and range...?

Regarding efficiency, I recently replaced them with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. In my first 500 miles, I saw an average efficiency loss of about 20%. I reset my trip counter at 500 miles and at 5000 miles the average efficiency loss was 9.5%. I reset again and drove another 1000 miles and my efficiency is near identical to what I was seeing with the OE tires before changing (333Wh/m vs. 335Wh/m). At least for the Verde's, the extra weight doesn't matter as much as how long it takes to break them in.

While I'm posting, I'd like to note that my OE Contisilents held up very well. I replaced them at 42k miles, but probably should have replaced them 5k miles sooner.

@Yinn : What did you end up going with and what is your experience so far? I am mostly in the same boat as you - deciding between OEM contisilent (don't like how quickly they wore out), verde AS+ (worried about speed rating on the front) and Zero AS+ (worried about range impact since it is not "green")

26,095 , 20" original Conti need new ones. Thinking we were going to get 40,000 miles in the beginning.
That's what I got too. - EDIT

Whoops. I remembered wrong. I actually got 31k miles.

I might have been a bit soft (~2 lbs) at times but the real issue was that the inside of the rear tires wore. Right to the metal belts. The outside looked OK and would have probably gone another 5k miles as would have the fronts.

The guy at America's Tire said this was pretty standard on Teslas and that they purposefully set the toe in for good handling.

When I had my tires replaced I noticed a clunk when transitioning across road types and driveways. SC said it was the air struts and replaced one and the other is on order. They checked the alignment of the wheels at that time and said all was OK. Note AT said they don't align Teslas so nothing was changed from my first set of tires as far as I can tell.

So perhaps the wear, especially if it's rear tires, may be dependant on how Tesla did the alignment.

@Yinn : What did you end up going with and what is your experience so far? I am mostly in the same boat as you - deciding between OEM contisilent (don't like how quickly they wore out), verde AS+ (worried about speed rating on the front) and Zero AS+ (worried about range impact since it is not "green")

I usually swap between summer and winters, but since I recently sold my 22s; I got a set of Nokia’s WRG3s in 20s on my car. They’re “all weather” but ride more like a winter tire. Efficiency improved. It’s on par with some winter tires in the snow and slush so far - tremendously better than the stock Contisilents, and have treadlife supposedly around 60,000 miles. They ride very comfortably too.

The negative? They’re noisier than the Contisilents, and they have a mushy steering feel. Typical of a winter tire. I will most likely go back to a two wheel setup come the summer so I don’t mind too much.

If you’re in a frequent cold weather state, I’d recommend it over the DWS, if you’re in a warmer state, I’d still recommend the DWS.

That's what I got too. - EDIT

Whoops. I remembered wrong. I actually got 31k miles.

I might have been a bit soft (~2 lbs) at times but the real issue was that the inside of the rear tires wore. Right to the metal belts. The outside looked OK and would have probably gone another 5k miles as would have the fronts.

The guy at America's Tire said this was pretty standard on Teslas and that they purposefully set the toe in for good handling.

When I had my tires replaced I noticed a clunk when transitioning across road types and driveways. SC said it was the air struts and replaced one and the other is on order. They checked the alignment of the wheels at that time and said all was OK. Note AT said they don't align Teslas so nothing was changed from my first set of tires as far as I can tell.

So perhaps the wear, especially if it's rear tires, may be dependant on how Tesla did the alignment.

This is a known issue with the low air suspension setting where indeed they toe in at that height. If you set your suspension so it is at normal all or most of the time, the inside wear problem should be much less. Some have suggested that you might be able to get an alignment that does not toe in at the low height, but I would assume this would cause them to toe out at normal height.

My MX is pretty clunky across road surfaces too. Did the air strut replacement improve things?

Last edited:
Got my X on June 2018, just found out my tires are worn out to 3/32. Drove only 16K miles. I have the 20" Conti CrossContact LX Sport.
Anyone seeing these kind of wear rate?
I am not prepared to change my tires every year so I am probably going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS +.

Got my X on June 2018, just found out my tires are worn out to 3/32.
Got 30k miles on mine for mostly highway driving just above the speed limits.

When you said worn down is that on all 4 tires (rough roads, high speeds, over inflation?) or just the fronts (alignment?) or just the inside rears (could be geometry or always having car set to low).

Got my X on June 2018, just found out my tires are worn out to 3/32. Drove only 16K miles. I have the 20" Conti CrossContact LX Sport.
Anyone seeing these kind of wear rate?
I am not prepared to change my tires every year so I am probably going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS +.

I’m at 40k miles with pirelli scorpions, likely another 5k left in the tread.

I’m at 40k miles with pirelli scorpions, likely another 5k left in the tread.
Which scorpions?

Scorpion Verde
Scorpion Verde A/S
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
Scorpion Zero
Scorpion Zero A/S
Scorpion Zero A/S Plus

All 6 variants are available and I see some subset of these available at various times on the Americastire and Tirerack sites. Not all of those are good for M/S and some of them are run-flat, so the specific model matters...

Which scorpions?

Scorpion Verde
Scorpion Verde A/S
Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
Scorpion Zero
Scorpion Zero A/S
Scorpion Zero A/S Plus

All 6 variants are available and I see some subset of these available at various times on the Americastire and Tirerack sites. Not all of those are good for M/S and some of them are run-flat, so the specific model matters...

Just looked, looks like scorpion P zero asymmetric. Has the foam lining inside for “noise dampening”

I've gotten a set of Nokian (Finnish company) WRG4s that are winter rated and in San Francisco, currently they have been running really well for me and quiet. I drive up to the mountains (Tahoe so snow) so these are the best for me. I never tried the Scorpions.

Just looked, looks like scorpion P zero asymmetric. Has the foam lining inside for “noise dampening”
The P Zero is a separate line from the Scorpion series. The P Zero tires are all summer only tires.

Pirelli's branding is as clear as searching for Waldo. ;)

The Asimmetrico appears to be even another Scorpion Zero variant (in addition to the regular Scorpion Zero, the Scorpion Zero A/S and the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus) which I didn't list before because it isn't typically offered for the 20" wheels that the person you were responding to has (it doesn't come in the proper weight ratings for the tow rating of the 20" wheels). From your profile picture it looks like you have the 22" wheels.

Most of the tires in the Pirelli SUV/light truck range have different applications and over half of them carry the word Scorpion in their name. It's a shame, but you really do need to be specific. Too many people keep saying "I went with the Pirellis and am happy" while another group is saying "I had the Pirellis and they are the worst tires I've ever seen" - both can be correct, but referring to completely different tires with radically different performance/handling/ride/season behaviors. This can be true even if they are both referring to Pirelli tires that have the word Scorpion on them.

Got 30k miles on mine for mostly highway driving just above the speed limits.

When you said worn down is that on all 4 tires (rough roads, high speeds, over inflation?) or just the fronts (alignment?) or just the inside rears (could be geometry or always having car set to low).

All four tires is at 3/32. Driving in city 90% of the time in north Texas. Really not sure if the driving style is a problem here.

The P Zero is a separate line from the Scorpion series. The P Zero tires are all summer only tires.

Pirelli's branding is as clear as searching for Waldo. ;)

The Asimmetrico appears to be even another Scorpion Zero variant (in addition to the regular Scorpion Zero, the Scorpion Zero A/S and the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus) which I didn't list before because it isn't typically offered for the 20" wheels that the person you were responding to has (it doesn't come in the proper weight ratings for the tow rating of the 20" wheels). From your profile picture it looks like you have the 22" wheels.

Most of the tires in the Pirelli SUV/light truck range have different applications and over half of them carry the word Scorpion in their name. It's a shame, but you really do need to be specific. Too many people keep saying "I went with the Pirellis and am happy" while another group is saying "I had the Pirellis and they are the worst tires I've ever seen" - both can be correct, but referring to completely different tires with radically different performance/handling/ride/season behaviors. This can be true even if they are both referring to Pirelli tires that have the word Scorpion on them.

Wow, this is informative. I have 20" wheels and planning on Scorpion Verde A/S +. What do you think?