Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire replacement time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw, a few fine print info I noticed for scorpion warranty is since our wheels are asymmetric, only half the warranty (65,000 = 32,500 miles) for the fronts, ironically the rears have the full warranty.
Where did you see this? Car wheels don't tend to be assymetric, but car tires can be. I don't think these tires are assymetric.

The only relevent clause in the warranty that I see is related to "staggered" sizes which means the sizes are different front and rear. In that case, they warranty is halved on the rear tires only and the fronts apparently have full coverage.

• For vehicles equipped with different Replacement Tire sizes front and rear, the Treadwear Coverage for the rear tires will be 50% of the mileage coverage stated below.

So, I'm curious what you are reading that is different from that.

Hi All,

I was looking at some tires last night and they too have 1/2 mileage warranty on 2 of the tires. (Michelin)

upload_2020-2-13_16-19-16.png

Crazy...

Shawn

Reactions: puhiniho
Yep, sometimes it's foggy trying to remember all the fine print. All the same, after looking back, it's the rear that are half the tread warranty. Not sure why the fronts would have full warranty length, as I feel it should wear faster but what do I know:eek:. Also seems to be a trend with other manufacturer, so to all, just read the fine print for warranties:cool:

P.s. @flar could be semantics but I do believe the actual rims and tires are both asymmetric (different) between the front and rear for 20". E.g. fronts rims are 9" wide and rears at 9.5" and tire size is 265 front and 275 rear. If yours are different, I apologize :D. After writing this paragraph, I wasn't saying the tread pattern was asymmetric...sorry if that was confusing, thx!

Where did you see this? Car wheels don't tend to be assymetric, but car tires can be. I don't think these tires are assymetric.

The only relevent clause in the warranty that I see is related to "staggered" sizes which means the sizes are different front and rear. In that case, they warranty is halved on the rear tires only and the fronts apparently have full coverage.

So, I'm curious what you are reading that is different from that.

P.s. @flar could be semantics but I do believe the actual rims and tires are both asymmetric (different) between the front and rear for 20". E.g. fronts rims are 9" wide and rears at 9.5" and tire size is 265 front and 275 rear. If yours are different, I apologize :D. After writing this paragraph, I wasn't saying the tread pattern was asymmetric...sorry if that was confusing, thx!
Yes, the sizes are different front and rear as I said. But that is not what the term assymetric means when applied to wheels and tires. Different sizes front and rear is called "staggered". They can be rotated side to side, but not front to back.

Staggered vs. Square Tires | TireBuyer.com

Asymmetric tires are the same size, but the inside and outside of the tread are different. Asymmetric tires have an inside and an outside and must be installed on the wheels correctly when they are first mounted, but otherwise they can be rotated (as long as they maintain the inside/outside orientation which is guaranteed as long as you leave them mounted on the wheels during the swaps).

Symmetric vs. Asymmetric Tires | TireBuyer.com

There is also such a thing as "directional" tires which have a tread optimized for a specific forward vs backward orientation. They are optimized to prefer rolling in a specific direction. Those can't be rotated side to side, but can be swapped front to back if the setup isn't also staggered.

How to tell if your tires are directional | TireBuyer.com

So...
  • staggered means no swapping front to back at all
  • directional means no swapping side to side without remounting
  • asymmetric allows swapping front to back or side to side as long as you don't remount them on the wheels
Also, "asymmetric" and "directional" are in the design of the tire, and have nothing to do with size choices. "Staggered" has nothing to do with the design of the tire tread and is just a byproduct of the choice of rim and tire sizes being used.

Just replaced the original OEM Pirelli Scorprion Zero Asimmetrico tires on my Model X 22” (Front: 265/35ZR22 Rear: 285/35ZR22) with a set of DSW06 tires from Discount Tire and so far so good. I have 30 days to consider keeping them or replacing with the OEM Pirelli’s (plus the difference in cost ~$400). We live in Austin and 90% of the driving is commuting to downtown. These seem to be a lot quieter and have better traction over the Pirelli’s.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul8810
My original Continental Cross Contacts needed to be replaced @ 19k miles but I have been dragging and is now at 21k miles. Has anyone tried the newer Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ II? I am not a fan of the OE tires needing replacement @ < 20k miles so I want something that last longer. TIA.

@outie I mentioned in an earlier post that I recently replaced mine with the A/S+ II. Seems to be comparable performance to OEM (although I'm not able to quantify it by any measure other than my own experiences) and the cost was much better. I think they are very similar characteristics to all the Verde series reviews I've read. I'd recommend them myself:)

Note, please read the warranty as it's is halved if your tires are staggered which they are if you have OEM rims.

Reactions: outie
I'm at 2 years and 28k miles on my '16 X90D and the OE ContiSilents. While I'm actually happy with how well the ContiSilents held up, contrary to many owners reporting otherwise and the negative reviews of these tires online, because these have more road noise then I like and aren't great in "all-season" driving I'm planning to change to a different tire now when I replace these this month. I'm debating between the following:
  1. Continental DWS06
  2. Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus
  3. Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus
Some factors with each that make me unsure which to go with or would be better than the other:

ContiSilent tires weigh 30lbs each, all three of these weigh more (32-35 lbs). Not sure if this will result in a negative impact on efficiency and range...?

The Conti DWS06 front tires would be a 255/45/20 instead of the 265/45/20 OE that I currently have. Is that a big deal? The 265/45/20 DWS60 does not come in an XL load rating.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde front has an H speed rating which is lower than what Tesla recommends in it's owner's manual and what my Tesla SC said is best for a vehicle with the torque and weight of the Model X. They recommend a minimum speed rating of V, but W or Y are would also be just fine. Any thoughts on this? Does this just mean these tires will wear faster?

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero are probably the best fit in terms of load/speed ratings and size. However, I've read reviews that they are not great all-season tires, better for performance driving. Not sure if there's a lot of truth or ways to gauge this without trying...

Most of my driving is local/highway (daily commuting) and the occasional long-distance trips. The average winter for where we live may have 1-2 decent snow storms where we get 6+ inches, sometimes 12+ inches...but probably not going to drive in anything that's a foot or more anyway......

Given all this, I guess I'm now leaning towards the Scorpion Zero A/S Plus. If anyone has other thoughts on these three, feel free to provide any constructive feedback or things to consider.

Thanks in advance!
Wondering what you decided and your thoughts now. I recently had a screw in my tire and replaced at only 5,500 mi. SC wouldn't patch:mad:
any update on your choice and what the reality is now would be helpful for any future decisions I would make
Thanx in Advance :)

My original Continental Cross Contacts needed to be replaced @ 19k miles but I have been dragging and is now at 21k miles. Has anyone tried the newer Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ II? I am not a fan of the OE tires needing replacement @ < 20k miles so I want something that last longer. TIA.
My experience is different than yours. I got > 39K (5/32) on my original Continentals. I ended up replacing them with the same. I have a 2017 X 100D.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
@outie I mentioned in an earlier post that I recently replaced mine with the A/S+ II. Seems to be comparable performance to OEM (although I'm not able to quantify it by any measure other than my own experiences) and the cost was much better. I think they are very similar characteristics to all the Verde series reviews I've read. I'd recommend them myself:)

Note, please read the warranty as it's is halved if your tires are staggered which they are if you have OEM rims.
Thanks. Even at half I think that’s still 30k +/-. I might just get a set of these as they are much cheaper.
My experience is different than yours. I got > 39K (5/32) on my original Continentals. I ended up replacing them with the same. I have a 2017 X 100D.
Yes everyone will have different mileage on his/her tires due to many factors. My precious 2016 X also had the same conti cross contact and they too needed to be replaced at 18k or so, but Tesla ended up buying the car back so I never had to replace them.

Yes everyone will have different mileage on his/her tires due to many factors. My precious 2016 X also had the same conti cross contact and they too needed to be replaced at 18k or so, but Tesla ended up buying the car back so I never had to replace them.
Coincidently I had a Sig 2016 X and had 36K on the original Conti cross contacts ... until the deer took the car (and almost me out). We must drive very different ... then again I was/am doing a lot of roadtrips so highway miles maybe easier than stop-n-go. As well I live in IL so asphalt is only super hot in the summer (thinking more tire wear then).

I just replaced my tires with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS II and thus far the ride is nice and road noise seems lower, but the handling doesn’t seem quite as stable at higher speed and the energy consumed with these tires is higher than what I had with the OEM Continentals. I drive fast, but smoothly and would typically see 290 to 330 w/mi, but am now seeing 400+ doing the same routes.

It’s only been a few days, hoping the tires settle in and I enjoy them more down the road.

I just replaced my tires with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS II and thus far the ride is nice and road noise seems lower, but the handling doesn’t seem quite as stable at higher speed and the energy consumed with these tires is higher than what I had with the OEM Continentals. I drive fast, but smoothly and would typically see 290 to 330 w/mi, but am now seeing 400+ doing the same routes.

It’s only been a few days, hoping the tires settle in and I enjoy them more down the road.
Thanks. I ended up replacing mine with the same Scorpion Verde AS Plus II. I am having similar observation about ride comfort, noise, and lower efficiency, but cannot comment on handle at higher speed since we haven’t gone anywhere far yet with the new tires.

Reactions: rocketdallas
Got my X on June 2018, just found out my tires are worn out to 3/32. Drove only 16K miles. I have the 20" Conti CrossContact LX Sport.
Anyone seeing these kind of wear rate?
I am not prepared to change my tires every year so I am probably going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS +.
Same here. Have driven only in chill mode at medium height. Wheels aligned last year. My 275/45R-20 Continental Contisilent XL rear tires have only lasted 16,000 miles. Am looking for suggestions for long lasting tires.

Stay away from Continentals at all costs. Had two blowouts on two occasions, one on the way home from Tesla after a tire check. Had to be towed 48 miles to SC. Continental went silent. Not a Penny. Only got a little over 21,000 miles on them.
SC wanted to replace at over $400. Got Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS for $220 each with warranty at Discount Tire warranty for 60K miles.
Great tire. Made 48k on them before selling the Red Model X and there was still plenty of tread.

Stuck with Contis on the Blue Raven. Went in for service with 1285 miles and the service rep did a tire check on the new car.
The Conti's read a 7 with 1285 miles on them. Say what?!! They put tires with less tread on new vehicles???

Buyer Beware!!! Taking the Contis off of the Blue Raven before going back to the track and replacing them with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS. Contis are unsafe for human use.

I have a 2016 90D and my focus is all about efficiency (max range is about 225 miles now), and have concerns since a # of posts re the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. I was leaning toward that until the significant increase in energy usage. Is this still true? If all I want is the best efficiency, do I stay with the low quality OEM Continentals (on my 5th since May 2016)? Thanks!

I've put on Yokohama Geolandar X-CVs at 45 psi for the past 8000 miles (2017 Model X 100D) and haven't noticed much loss of efficiency. Personally I feel there's not much of a difference in ride comfort or road noise between OEM Continentals and Yokohama. However the main difference I see is that the Yokohama treads are holding up a lot better.

I would also recommend paying a little extra to go to a tire shop that does road force balancing.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel+X+100D&autoModClar=265/45-20F+275/45-20R

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel+X+100D&autoModClar=265/45-20F+275/45-20R

I have a 2016 90D and my focus is all about efficiency (max range is about 225 miles now), and have concerns since a # of posts re the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. I was leaning toward that until the significant increase in energy usage. Is this still true? If all I want is the best efficiency, do I stay with the low quality OEM Continentals (on my 5th since May 2016)? Thanks!

You’re going to want to get tires engineered for low rolling resistance, doesn’t have to be OEM. Inflate your tire pressures 2-3 psi over recommended range. And when given the choice go with a more narrow tread width.

This will all compromise handling but it’ll increase efficiency.

If you want to go nuts, get some color matching vinyl and tape all of your seams/panel gaps. That actually helps quite a bit for aero.

You’re going to want to get tires engineered for low rolling resistance, doesn’t have to be OEM. Inflate your tire pressures 2-3 psi over recommended range. And when given the choice go with a more narrow tread width.
This will all compromise handling but it’ll increase efficiency.
If you want to go nuts, get some color matching vinyl and tape all of your seams/panel gaps. That actually helps quite a bit for aero.

The problem I have is how do I tell? IOW, other than usually vague anecdotal reports, how can one pick tires that are low rolling resistance? Is there a spec that I can compare between tires?

Without knowing any better, i am inclined to stick w OEM Contis. I have not seen any that claim better from an energy perspective. I have 25,000 on mine, and 6/32 left, evenly worn.

Last edited: