Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone found a cheaper better all season tires than the stock tires on Gemini's or Induction wheels? With minimal range impact, same range, or slight increase?

Not sure if there's many that has replaced their sets, since our Y's are only about a year old. Just looking for cheaper alternatives when I change my tires.

How do I go look for tires lower roller resistance report? Found these Vredestein Quatrac and trying to see how the rolling resistance compares to the oem Goodyear Eagle F1s...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=54YR0QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2021&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=#RatingsReviews
You won't find a full test report on TireRack for the Goodyear Eagle F1 because it is a new tire design. If you view the full report of the Vredestein Quatrac Pro (your link) there is a fuel consumption/efficiency test of the Quatrac Pro and three other all-season tires. As tested the Vredestein Quatrac Pro was 2% less efficient than these other all-season tires.

My thoughts on low rolling resistance (LRR) tires - my previous ride was a 2017 Chevrolet Volt. The Volt came with Michelin EnergySaver A/S tires. I had previous experience with the EnergySaver A/S tires on a 2011 Ford Fusion. In both vehicles the EnergySaver A/S tires proved to be unsafe when driving on even a small amount of snow. The rubber compound used in the EnergySaver A/S tire (other LRR tires too) is too hard, especially in colder temperatures to provide good wet weather or winter traction. The LRR tires typically have stiffer, thinner sidewalls than conventional tires. The thin sidewall is reinforced with Kevlar but it is still easy to ruin a LRR tire on a curb as these tires are not very durable.

In the Volt I would tolerate this because the EnergySaver A/S did provide exceptional efficiency, that was important in a PHEV that was rated for 53 miles EV range. Now with the Model Y, range anxiety for the type of driving I do is gone and I value ride, handling and good traction above efficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahcpa
jcanoe: I agree with your assessment of the EnergySaver A/S tires, had them on a 2018 Ford Energi: great for LRR, horrible on anything but bone dry pavement. Scary horrible.

I'm not quite sure about your sweeping statements about LRR being not very durable. I've never read anything to support that...or...to refute that. Is this just an opinion? I'm curious.

jcanoe: I agree with your assessment of the EnergySaver A/S tires, had them on a 2018 Ford Energi: great for LRR, horrible on anything but bone dry pavement. Scary horrible.

I'm not quite sure about your sweeping statements about LRR being not very durable. I've never read anything to support that...or...to refute that. Is this just an opinion? I'm curious.
On the GM-Volt forum there were many cases of Volt owners who reported that as a result of scraping the sidewall of the Michelin EnergySaver A/S LRR tires on a curb when parking or turning into a driveway, even one time, that the sidewall of the tire was damaged and the tire had to be replaced. The tread area of the EnergySaver tire was probably as durable as any other passenger vehicle tire but the thin sidewall was it's Achilles heel.

The Atlas Force UHP 255/45R19 104Y XL tire is probably an ok choice but there are better all season tires available for the Model Y. The Atlas is the type of tire you buy if you are stuck having to buy 2 or 4 tires when you know you will be selling or trading the vehicle within a year.

You could look into the new CrossClimate 2 Tires. Great ratings, good in all conditions, and sizes work for 19in tires. They also have Michelin's low roll resistance tech.

235/50R19 XL 103V

Size comparison is well within tolerance (+1.1% or 0.3in diameter difference from stock).

Likely not cheaper than stock, but a lot of bang for your buck, so speak.

You could look into the new CrossClimate 2 Tires. Great ratings, good in all conditions, and sizes work for 19in tires. They also have Michelin's low roll resistance tech.

235/50R19 XL 103V

Size comparison is well within tolerance (+1.1% or 0.3in diameter difference from stock).

Likely not cheaper than stock, but a lot of bang for your buck, so speak.
The Michelin CrossClimate 2 has a load rating of 103 (1929 lbs.) With a 19" wheel on the Model Y Tesla specifies a tire load rating of 104 (1984 lbs). The reason, as I have come to understand, for the tire load rating exceeding the gross axle gross axle weight rating (for 19" wheels the front and rear GAWR are each 3607 lbs per axle, or 1804 lbs per wheel) is that in case of a blowout of one of the tires the tire on the opposite side of the axle where the blowout occurred and the two tires on the other axle have to be able to handle the additional load, at least until the vehicle can be safely stopped on the shoulder of the road.

The Michelin CrossClimate 2 has a load rating of 103 (1929 lbs.) With a 19" wheel on the Model Y Tesla specifies a tire load rating of 104 (1984 lbs). The reason, as I have come to understand, for the tire load rating exceeding the gross axle gross axle weight rating (for 19" wheels the front and rear GAWR are each 3607 lbs per axle, or 1804 lbs per wheel) is that in case of a blowout of one of the tires the tire on the opposite side of the axle where the blowout occurred and the two tires on the other axle have to be able to handle the additional load, at least until the vehicle can be safely stopped on the shoulder of the road.

Huh. I did not know that. Thanks for the info! Does it matter that the GAWR for the 20in wheels is 300lbs lighter at 3307 lbs (1500 kg)? If we're taking the weight of the car on a blown out tire, I would think the number that matters is the minimum GAWR for the vehicle in general (I could be very wrong).

Huh. I did not know that. Thanks for the info! Does it matter that the GAWR for the 20in wheels is 300lbs lighter at 3307 lbs (1500 kg)? If we're taking the weight of the car on a blown out tire, I would think the number that matters is the minimum GAWR for the vehicle in general (I could be very wrong).
If you check the load rating of the tires sold with the 20" Induction wheels, i.e. the Goodyear Eagle F1 255/40R20 the load index is 101 (1819 lbs) not 104 (1984 lbs) as with the tires for the 19" wheels.