TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tire replacements

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by ediot, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ediot

ediot Member

the 19" tires on my model S are on their last leg now, and i'm looking for replacement - i'm reluctant to get them replaced by tesla hk since it's not necessary.

has anyone got recommendations of a shop/ types of tires? i've read about certain tires made with some sort of fabric inside to further dampen noises, i have no idea how much they are, but i think if i go for the tires with similar attributes with my cureent stock ones it'd be around HKD $5-6k total, further silenced tires would be fine if they're beloe HKD$10k i think ,unless some of you guys have tried them and have anything negative anything to say then i'll reconsider.

so, what do?

2. laughter

laughter Member

I replaced tire without the fabric noise-silencer. Don't notice any difference on road noise level.

3. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

I’d like to fit ContiSilent tyres to my MS but I haven’t found them in HK yet. Anyone seen them?

4. ediot

ediot Member

Thanks, any shop recommendation? I'd prefer the kowloon side, but HK island is also fine. Currently I don't really have a good shop contact to rely on.

5. ediot

ediot Member

just a quick update, found a shop that replaced my tires with Michelin Primacy 3ST 19" at $1500 per tire, including balancing. pretty cheap i think.

my old tires had enough centre/inner tread left for another 2-4k km (haven't even worn down to the warning nubs on centre treads), but the outer edges were pretty battered. i wonder if it'a a camber adjustmnent issue, since under-inflated tires should show excessive wear on both inner and outer treads whilst the centre would be relatively under-worn.

pretty unlikely, but has anyone had issues/adjustments on their camber/ toe-in etc??

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

If you had abnormal tire wear and got new tires, you should always at least check the alignment. In my experience in the States, checking and adjusting the alignment are the same cost. If you get new tires and don't change anything, you should expect the abnormal wear to continue on the new tires. Some cars just wear tires poorly even when the alignment is in-spec, but the Model S should wear the tires evenly if the suspension is aligned properly.