TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire/Rim swap and TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by AZbba, Aug 11, 2018.

1. AZbba

AZbba Member

I have a 2014 Model S, that had the original basic rims.

I recently bought a set of take-offs from a 2018 (possibly 2017) P100D with new tires on them.

I had a shop just swap them out, and the car gave no TPMS errors. However 2 days later now it says to contact Tesla service due to a TPMS error.

So obviously I could have all of the tires removed and swap the TPMS sensors for the ones in my original rims, (someone said I would need to buy new nuts or something from tesla)

But is there an easier way to simply re-program the car to accept the new TPMS sensors without removing 8 tires!

Thanks

2. IolaniRWD

IolaniRWD Member

I have a 2014 S 60 that came with the standard 19s and just had Tesla SC swap brand new 21s. They told me that reprogramming the new TPMS would be labour intensive so they simple swapped out the sensor from the old wheels. It sucks to not have a visualisation of the pressure of each tyre but I’m not willing to pay a grand for that functionality.

3. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Buy 4 old style sensors so you don't have to touch your old wheels.

4. Josh@GYW

early 2014 and the later models have different coding on the TPMS.

5. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

I swapped out my 19" for 21" turbines (that supposedly had TMPS) but they told me the TPMS on the 21" was no good, so they just swapped out with my original and put on the 21" - no problemo.