Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rolling resistance listing in Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low-Rolling-Resistance Tires Can Save You Money at the Pump lists a bunch of tires by rolling resistance.

Unfortunately, it does not include some tires commonly discussed here, like the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Hankook Kinergy GT, or commonly asked about aftermarket tires like the Pirelli PZero ELECT. However, the tires listed are mostly in the same general market class as the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (i.e. less sporty than Michelin Pilot tires, but more sporty than Michelin Defender or Energy Saver tires).

It does show the Michelin CrossClimate 2 and Vredestein Quatrac Pro near the bottom of the listing, in contrast to their predecessors Michelin CrossClimate+ and Vredestein Quatrac 5 that were at the top of the listing the previous time the had this kind of list (the Vredestein Quatrac 5 was the lowest rolling resistance tire in the previous list).

1 mpg difference from best to worst for an ICE car? That doesn’t hardly seem worth it.
I.e. about 3.5% difference for an ICEV getting 28 to 29 mpg. Still, that can make about a 49 gallon difference over 40,000 miles, which can be a significant factor in the cost of the one model of tire versus another.

But remember that EVs use 1/4 to 1/3 the energy compared to similar size and shape ICEVs, so the same amount of additional energy lost to additional tire rolling resistance will be more like a 10.5% to 14% difference between best and worst for an EV. Because economy directly affects range, that can be important to EV drivers.

Reactions: dsgerbc
I.e. about 3.5% difference for an ICEV getting 28 to 29 mpg.

But remember that EVs use 1/4 to 1/3 the energy compared to similar size and shape ICEVs, so the same amount of additional energy lost to additional tire rolling resistance will be more like a 10.5% to 14% difference between best and worst for an EV.
EVs typically come with the ultra efficient tires to begin with. Their efficiency might be at its maximum already.

EVs typically come with the ultra efficient tires to begin with. Their efficiency might be at its maximum already.
Most cars come with low rolling resistance tires from the factory. That is why, if one does not specifically look for low rolling resistance tires when it comes time to replace the tires, installing replacement tires often worsens economy (whether ICEV or EV).

I.e. about 3.5% difference for an ICEV getting 28 to 29 mpg. Still, that can make about a 49 gallon difference over 40,000 miles, which can be a significant factor in the cost of the one model of tire versus another.

But remember that EVs use 1/4 to 1/3 the energy compared to similar size and shape ICEVs, so the same amount of additional energy lost to additional tire rolling resistance will be more like a 10.5% to 14% difference between best and worst for an EV. Because economy directly affects range, that can be important to EV drivers.
A 49 gallon difference over the duration of 40,000 miles equates to 1,333 gallons at a generous 30mpg. That's 1,333 times low estimate of gas of $5 per gallon gives us $6,665 bucks. Yea, you save $245 bucks, OMFG!!!

Reactions: 3geekfamily
1 mpg difference from best to worst for an ICE car? That doesn’t hardly seem worth it.
70% of energy in ICE cars is wasted anyway. Out of 30mpg, only 10mpg goes toward propulsion. A 10% change in that is pretty big. Now remember that the bulk of the energy spent on propulsion goes to fight the air resistance, the implied change in the tire's rolling resistance is at least double that, at >20%.

These were cheap and they stick out a bit and prevent curb rash, but they are louder than the tires that came with the car, and I will be getting something different when I replace them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220716-174419_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220716-174419_Gmail.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 168