Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation - $200?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
So with 10k miles in my new tires I called the Dallas SC to see if I can get it done along with a few other minor things.

Was very surprised to hear that it might cost me around $200 to rotate them (no balancing, just rotation) at $175/hour (or is it $150 I can't recollect) and 1 1/2 hours of approx labour time.

That's one expensive rotation. Why can't I just use Goodyear for $25?

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
So with 10k miles in my new tires I called the Dallas SC to see if I can get it done along with a few other minor things.

Was very surprised to hear that it might cost me around $200 to rotate them (no balancing, just rotation) at $175/hour (or is it $150 I can't recollect) and 1 1/2 hours of approx labour time.

That's one expensive rotation. Why can't I just use Goodyear for $25?
I took mine to America's Tire and got it done for free. It might be called Discount Tire in your area. There's no way it should take 1.5hr to rotate tires especially if there's no balancing done. Just take caution when using a tire shop. They may not know the lift points under the car and to torque at 129lbs.

I'd escalate that pronto, unless your tires are not OEM. Have confirmed with multiple SCs in multiple regions that the rotation of OEM tires (whether factory or replacement) is done at no charge. Very clear policy.

Further, if you buy another set of OEMs from wherever (tirerack.com, discounttiredirect.com) and have them shipped *to* a SvC, that SvC will mount and balance the set for $125. It's $50/tire or $125/set as has been explained to me at least twice. Or you could take them to Costco and have the same done for $100 with nitrogen. Also, as most know, Tesla does not offer certs, so if you want certs, see Discount/America's Tire *or* Sam's Club or probably Costco.

Having said all of that, I'm slowly acquiring the gear needed to do my own tire rotations. Why clog up a SvC if it's something you don't mind doing yourself...

Oh, and just had a new set of Goodyears installed for $450 out the door at an America's Tire after getting 55,000 miles from the OEM Michelins - at mostly 3/32", so there was tread left for sure. Solid, conscientious work, all by hand at my request. Turns out not all locations have Road Force balancers. If you want that done, they charge an extra $100 per set. Note the original OEM Goodyears are not nearly as good a tire as the Michelins (for example: less stiping, belts reportedly don't span the width of the tire, no tread life warranty, not LRR), but people have reported getting 38,000 miles out of them. We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: 2krazykats
Why don't you just do it yourself? Any particular reason? It is very easy to do and I truly enjoy it. Saves me some 50 eur every time as well, although that is not why I do it myself. Just don't forget to switch on "Jack mode" if you have air suspension.

Blue Ash Tesla did ours for $40, which included detailing inside and out. The last time it looked that good was when we picked it up new. And a free loaner to go to lunch. I have jacks and impact tools to do the work but I love the great service. They got several hundred dollars of advertising out of me already! And I'm still talking about it....

Blue Ash Tesla did ours for $40, which included detailing inside and out. The last time it looked that good was when we picked it up new. And a free loaner to go to lunch. I have jacks and impact tools to do the work but I love the great service. They got several hundred dollars of advertising out of me already! And I'm still talking about it....

Further, if you buy another set of OEMs from wherever (tirerack.com, discounttiredirect.com) and have them shipped *to* a SvC, that SvC will mount and balance the set for $125. It's $50/tire or $125/set as has been explained to me at least twice. Or you could take them to Costco and have the same done for $100 with nitrogen. Also, as most know, Tesla does not offer certs, so if you want certs, see Discount/America's Tire *or* Sam's Club or probably Costco.

Having said all of that, I'm slowly acquiring the gear needed to do my own tire rotations. Why clog up a SvC if it's something you don't mind doing yourself...
Little PSA, Tesla service will price match tires. I did it by printing out a page from tirerack.com.

According to my SvC, the only two criteria are
1) no Costco
2) must be in stock

Little PSA, Tesla service will price match tires. I did it by printing out a page from tirerack.com.

According to my SvC, the only two criteria are
1) no Costco
2) must be in stock

That's great news. Couple questions by way of clarification:

Did they price match the tires and then add $125 for mounting and balancing? I would have happily done that months ago but couldn't get an SvC to bite. Worked out in the end for me pricewise, but there's a certain peace of mind in just having Tesla do it (ideally in conjunction with an existing appointment for something else so as to not clog the queue).

By in stock, that means solely existing OEM tires, yes?

Am curious to learn what they will charge for a set of the new Goodyear Eagle Touring (19") tires. Saw them at Tire Rack for about $265/tire, and have heard two unconfirmed reports that Tesla charged (for one-off replacements) just the old OEM Goodyear website price of $180 plus tax - which would be a steal, if the rumors about the new tire prove accurate.

Reactions: TurboFroggy
That's great news. Couple questions by way of clarification:

Did they price match the tires and then add $125 for mounting and balancing? I would have happily done that months ago but couldn't get an SvC to bite. Worked out in the end for me pricewise, but there's a certain peace of mind in just having Tesla do it (ideally in conjunction with an existing appointment for something else so as to not clog the queue).

By in stock, that means solely existing OEM tires, yes?

Am curious to learn what they will charge for a set of the new Goodyear Eagle Touring (19") tires. Saw them at Tire Rack for about $265/tire, and have heard two unconfirmed reports that Tesla charged (for one-off replacements) just the old OEM Goodyear website price of $180 plus tax - which would be a steal, if the rumors about the new tire prove accurate.

C2LoniA.png

They charged me 125 for labor, which is technically for mounting and balancing. And yes, they have to be OEM tires.

I got quotes from my local tire shops and even if they quoted the same price for the tires, they wouldnt be able to beat Tesla's $125 labor cost. And there's the peace of mind that Tesla is doing it, plus the added car wash :)