Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation - $200?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good call on the caliper check. Both my front calipers' inside pads rusted solid to the calipers. They had rusted so solid, the pistons were bending the pads! SC wanted $2500+ to replace all rotors, front calipers, all pads, dust shields... My son and I freed them up, working great again.

While your in there checking the brake pads, be sure to check the calipers for build-up. Seems we have more risk for the caliper/pad getting all gunked together. Had service do mine when it was in this week for the annual (er... "annual") and a couple other folks seem to have had issues as well.
Good idea, I shall do that next time. Plan on pulling the summer tires and wheels off in Early November, and putting on the winter tires and wheels so I will check the pads, clean them and lube them then. Thanks for that info!

Good call on the caliper check. Both my front calipers' inside pads rusted solid to the calipers. They had rusted so solid, the pistons were bending the pads! SC wanted $2500+ to replace all rotors, front calipers, all pads, dust shields... My son and I freed them up, working great again.

This serves as a good warning for me to use the physical brakes once in a while despite how much I love regenerative braking and one petal driving.

Don't lube the face of the pads o_O

LampoonsXmasSled.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
Couple of things to add. Do AWD cars need tires rotated? On RWD, you should be able skip every other recommended rotation. Here's the logic behind it (percentages are theoretical but I believe still accurate if scaled differently) -->
*SNIP*
The above is from a thread that I had started a while back. there are a few pages of discussion there if you are interested in diving-further into it:

Skip Every Other Tire Rotation

Anecdotal evidence: Family matters, inertia, local availability, and distance from service center have kept me from rotating tires on 90D.
It now has 10000 miles, and while I haven't actually measured, I have used my (recently calibrated) eyeballs to say: even wear.

Little PSA, Tesla service will price match tires. I did it by printing out a page from tirerack.com.

According to my SvC, the only two criteria are
1) no Costco
2) must be in stock
I just had my Michelins replaced at the Rocklin SC. The price turned out to be a bit less expensive than if I had purchased from TireRack, shipped them and had them mounted and balanced locally. They also did a complimentary four wheel alignment!
Great service!

My biggest concern is, do the neighborhood Goodyear and Costco guys know where to jack? That's my big concern. I asked them and they said they will 'figure it out'. But I am not sure.

Can someone help me, help them how to find the jack points for my S85 RWD car?

Thanks

My biggest concern is, do the neighborhood Goodyear and Costco guys know where to jack? That's my big concern. I asked them and they said they will 'figure it out'. But I am not sure.
If they say they'll figure it out, I'd take it elsewhere. You can bring up the jack points on the screen of the car through the manuals. Some tire stores have specific instructions. They may ask you if you have air suspension.

Dallas SC did it for free.

I had to take my car unscheduled for a different problem - right rear window mechanism failed and it didn't roll back up. They fixed it and they also rotated the tires while they were doing that, for free. Since I had arrived unscheduled they couldn't arrange for a loaner in time, so instead they arranged an Uber-X for dropoff and pick up from my office that was 30 miles away.

When I picked up my car later in the evening, window was fixed, tires rotated and car cleaned and washed nicely, ready to go - all free.

Great service !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked my Service Advisor via e-mail today about a free tire rotation when my car goes in for service next Monday. He wrote back:
"Tire rotations are $62.50, we stopped the free program earlier this year."
So I guess my car will go to Discount Tire for tire rotations.

I just had my Michelins replaced at the Rocklin SC. The price turned out to be a bit less expensive than if I had purchased from TireRack, shipped them and had them mounted and balanced locally. They also did a complimentary four wheel alignment!
Great service!
I was able to get over 22,000 miles on my 21's (forgot to rotate :( for a while or I could have gotten more out of them). Just had those tires replaced at the Rocklin SC also about 2 weeks ago. They take good care of the owners at this location.

I just rotated the tires myself last Saturday, using two jacks with some hockey pucks as suggested by a few forum members. It seemed pretty stable and the hockey pucks fit the jack points just right. A new torque wrench was the only thing I had to buy so I could torque to 129ft/lbs. The chassis is so stiff that jacking up the rear lifted quite a bit of the front.

I asked my Service Advisor via e-mail today about a free tire rotation when my car goes in for service next Monday. He wrote back:
"Tire rotations are $62.50, we stopped the free program earlier this year."
So I guess my car will go to Discount Tire for tire rotations.
I had mine done by them a couple of months back. I got there 5 minutes before they opened and still had 5 people ahead of me or so I thought. Another Tesla (Model X) got in before me because he made an appointment even though he got there late. I suggest going that route.

35.00 local Acura dealer last yr

Bought new set of Mich 19" mx2x from Tire rack online and they sent them to local car repair, continental Imports who put them on, balanced etc.

BTW...major blowout is a big deal if you live a ways from a Tesla dealer...can take days. I now have a spare with a OEM rim that I bought on ebay. Road side assistance arranged towing and provided sympathy...but nothing else.

120 for a rotation is suspect

Why don't you just do it yourself? Any particular reason? It is very easy to do and I truly enjoy it. Saves me some 50 eur every time as well, although that is not why I do it myself. Just don't forget to switch on "Jack mode" if you have air suspension.
😂 this is not an enjoyable activity, so that’s why. More power to you for thinking so. I have a car I can bring you, lol.

So with 10k miles in my new tires I called the Dallas SC to see if I can get it done along with a few other minor things.

Was very surprised to hear that it might cost me around $200 to rotate them (no balancing, just rotation) at $175/hour (or is it $150 I can't recollect) and 1 1/2 hours of approx labour time.

That's one expensive rotation. Why can't I just use Goodyear for $25?
Discount Tire in WA state will do it for free. No charge