Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation frequency - actual need vs warranty sake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am reaching almost 8000 miles with my OEM Michelin MXM4s, which seems to what Michelin and Tesla recommends to rotate every 6000-8000 miles.

However, the tread depth difference is only 0.5/32 inches for the front vs back tires (~8/32 inch front, ~7.5/32 inch back), so I don't really see the need to rotate my tires yet.

Do I still have to rotate or perform alignments for my tires/wheels to qualify for the tire warranty? How was your warranty experience with OEM Michelin tires?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Michelin will deny warranty if the tread is different front to rear or uneven wear inside to outside of individual tire. They have no requirement or way to verify you rotated your tires or have correct alignment. All they need to see is the tires to know.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
OP has OEM tires on a 2020.

There is no OEM tire mileage warranty (and hasn't been for a few years now).... just MFG defect warranty.

The text of which says they define irregular "uneven wear" as a difference of 2/32 or more across the fact of the tire... so 0.5 would a non-issue.

Hey all,

I am reaching almost 8000 miles with my OEM Michelin MXM4s, which seems to what Michelin and Tesla recommends to rotate every 6000-8000 miles.

However, the tread depth difference is only 0.5/32 inches for the front vs back tires (~8/32 inch front, ~7.5/32 inch back), so I don't really see the need to rotate my tires yet.

Do I still have to rotate or perform alignments for my tires/wheels to qualify for the tire warranty? How was your warranty experience with OEM Michelin tires?

there’s no mileage warranty in tires. Is your 3 dual motor? Dual motor 3’a tend to wear tires more evenly, whereas rear drive will burn through rear tires more quickly. You’ll be lucky to get 20k on tires. Most customers replace at about 15k. The worst I’ve seen was 5k and the best was 25k.