Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation interval contradiction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there's a service center near where I live I just stop by every 6,000 or so for them to look at the tires. If a rotation is called for (it's usually not been) they've done the rotation then. Can't hurt to just have them look.

I see no harm in the shorter interval because the goal is to get as even usage/wear as possible; however, you're more likely to strip or damage a wheel stud if you get careless, plus the time and effort it takes for you to either DIY or have the rotation done. I use to rotate the tires myself, but have gotten pretty lazy (and I have air tools too). It's just the guys at the tire shop have a lift, 3X the man-power, and dress the tires in about 1/5th the time it takes me to do it myself.

The longer interval would probably be fine for AWD owners who either don't drive very aggressively or do a lot of highway cruising miles. You could always split the difference and rotate at 7,500 miles.:D

Reactions: Kentrock1
The purpose of rotation is to even out the wear so that all four tires wear out at the same time. There's no one specified interval that will fit every situation. Inspect the tread wear across the tread on all four tires and rotate when there is 1.5 mm between the front and rear tread depth, or if there is any sign of uneven wear (whichever comes first). If there is uneven wear find out the cause and correct.

Model S manual says to rotate every 6250 miles. New Car Maintenance recommendations say every 10,000-12,000 miles.

Which one should we do?

Tesla is changing its Maintenance recommendations. That page has been revised the other day. Until the revision, as recently as just a couple of days ago, it did recommend the 6,250-mile rotation interval.

The page also states this: Please check your Owner’s Manual for latest maintenance recommendations for your Tesla.

However, since this change in the recommended maintenance schedule is so new, I am not sure if the Owner’s Manual has been revised yet. It may take Tesla some time to update all the manuals.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tforme
And what about staggered setups?
Not much you can do about staggered setups, but because they are staggered, the front and rear tires don't have the same properties, so the tread depth difference isn't as important, although it's still bad practice to have almost bald rears and new fronts.

I would think a lift would be fine as long as it is either made for the Tesla lift points or one uses jack pads to avoid battery pack damage.

I would use air tools to remove lug nuts but not to install them. For installation I’d use a torque wrench. Does anyone know any reason not to use air tools to remove lug nuts?

I would think a lift would be fine as long as it is either made for the Tesla lift points or one uses jack pads to avoid battery pack damage.

I would use air tools to remove lug nuts but not to install them. For installation I’d use a torque wrench. Does anyone know any reason not to use air tools to remove lug nuts?

My reason is by the time I get my air ratchet out and compressor fired up I would already have the wheel off with a ratchet and my fingers. I used to have a truck with 8 lug nuts per wheel; I would use it then.

My strategy is to have them rotated at 9,000 miles the first time. I figure that, if there is some slight tendency toward uneven wear, the next 9,000 miles should compensate for that, so I go 18,000 miles before the second rotation (total: 27,000). Of course, I check to make sure there is enough tread left to be safe every once in a while. If there is enough tread left to rotate at 27,000 miles, I would have them rotated again, for the last time before replacement.

Rotation is good, but I like to use America's Tire/Discount Tire as they spin balance the tires & wheels too (and all for free). I was just into my local AT hop with my P3D+ at 3,500 miles/6 months (yes, short distance). I have almost perfectly even wear (just a tad bit more inner wear on the rears) and have not noticed any vibration. Balance was a bit out on 3 of 4. All good.

Rotation is good, but I like to use America's Tire/Discount Tire as they spin balance the tires & wheels too (and all for free). I was just into my local AT hop with my P3D+ at 3,500 miles/6 months (yes, short distance). I have almost perfectly even wear (just a tad bit more inner wear on the rears) and have not noticed any vibration. Balance was a bit out on 3 of 4. All good.

Do you plan to use them for new tires when due? I’m concerned about using anyone but Tesla for tire install

Do you plan to use them for new tires when due? I’m concerned about using anyone but Tesla for tire install
What about installing on a Tesla do you think is different from having them rotated?
The rims are just rims, TPMS is standard these days and the Tesla system is maybe the easiest to deal with respect to telling the car where the tire is.

To rotate they need to lift the car, that is arguably the only Tesla specific aspect is where to lift from.