Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
First Tesla said tire rotations were recommended every 6,250 miles with a front to back/back to front pattern. Then Tesla recommended 10,000 to 12,000 miles rotations. The owners manual in my Model 3 says it should be done every 6,250 miles. Did Tesla change the mileage back?

Idk I got mine rotated at 9,094 miles for the first time at Americas Tire. The guy said my tires still look brand new and have tons of tread left and they do. I was surprised as I drive my car spiritedly often. I'll do it a little earlier next time though. I waited longer but everything was fine

On page 186 of the Model 3 Owners Manual (May 2020 edition) it states:
  • Rotate tires every 6,250 miles
    (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first
The RWD cars seem to wear uneven more often than the AWD models, however the rotation criteria is the same for both.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Redi Kilowatt
My tires are scuffing away very fast. Pic is 2020 front with 300 miles. Been to SC. Could you do me a favor and drag your fingers along the front inside wheel wells and see if they come out looking like my pic. I’m trying to understand if this tire dust is normal for the model 3 Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 9F018835-ED00-4803-91D9-76CA05BC5B75.jpeg
    9F018835-ED00-4803-91D9-76CA05BC5B75.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 478
In my previous car, i had issues with alignment but i never knew until i changed the tires or i went for an oil change. Given with lack of maintenance, I rather just go do the rotation at Discount Tires/America's Tires for free. BTW they will not even give you the free rotation option, they'll rather given you the $30 rotate and balance option instead. I figured it out as I was waiting for my turn at the store and i told the service advisor i only wanted free rotation. He replied with "I dont recommend it that's why i didn't offer it" But i told him to do it anyways.

My tires are scuffing away very fast. Pic is 2020 front with 300 miles. Been to SC. Could you do me a favor and drag your fingers along the front inside wheel wells and see if they come out looking like my pic. I’m trying to understand if this tire dust is normal for the model 3 Thanks in advance.

That doesn't seem normal...but you may just have some tire shine or other compound that is coming off at first?

Buy a tread depth gauge and rotate when you see a big wear differential. Like 2mm.

Agreed, or just use basically anything to compare the tread depth to different tires and see which ones are wearing out more. The tires have tread bars located with the little triangle arrows on the sidewall which can be helpful for giving a visual on wear rate as well.

First Tesla said tire rotations were recommended every 6,250 miles with a front to back/back to front pattern. Then Tesla recommended 10,000 to 12,000 miles rotations. The owners manual in my Model 3 says it should be done every 6,250 miles. Did Tesla change the mileage back?
Yes, it was 6,250 back in early 2018 when I got mine. It was changed (late in 2018 I believe) to 10,000. I still kept rotating mine every 6,250 since the Michelin warranty requirements were less than 10k (they might have been every 7k or 8k). And recently Tesla changed the recommendation back to 6,250 miles.

I am normally pretty good at rotating but thinking of passing on the Tesla. I have performance model3 , and assuming I am going to rocket through these tires. I don’t trust any shop near me to lift the car right and do it all probably. My local Tesla SC IS OVER 1 1/2 HOURS AWAY. I figure rotation is more for the life of the tire and with a awd model don’t know how much of a difference it will truly make

manual says 6,250, but that is way too early. 10,000-12,000 is more realistic and what every other car manufacture recommends.
No point in establishing trends from other manufacturers, because each car has different drivetrain, mass, weight balance, and alignment, and thus different tire wear rate and balance.

So when best to rotate tires is to actually observe and measure this wear (which takes all of 10 seconds to do) rather than reading odd the odo