Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes @Resist , Tesla changed it. In the May 2019 manual on page 139, they say to rotate every 10,000 to 12,000 miles.

Don’t know why it has been changed. Might be different next year. :)
That's interesting, my April 2019 version, page 128, says every 6,250 miles:
Rotate.JPG

But a year later the March 2020 says every 10k to 12K:
Rotate 2020.JPG

And in a May 26, 20 version, it's back down to 6,250 miles:
Rotate 2020 a.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrau and lUtriaNt
So on further investigating; it seems that each recent manual issuance has a software version noted on the cover. And this makes perfect sense because there may have been GUI or other tangible changes that weren’t covered by the previous manual version(s). So I looked at the versions I have downloaded.

The original manual I have notes 6,250 (4/19)
Version 19.16.1 shows 10,000 (6/19)
Version 19.34.1 shows 10,000 (10/19)
Version 20.4 shows 10,000 (1/20)
Version 20.20 shows 6,250 (6/20)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
FWIW, I measured at my current mileage of ~5100 miles using a depth gauge which costs all but $3.
The front depth was just at 8.5/32nd. The rear depth was at ~7.5/32nd. These tires new come at 9/32nd.
PXL_20200918_134530152.jpg

The rear wore out ~3x faster than the front, and I have an AWD. so I rotated them. It's a 45 min job at the most. 10k seems too long for a car that wears out rears so quickly.

I could have waited for 6250mi, but that would have put me in December and I really didn't want to be out there in the cold doing this:eek:. Next one will be in spring 2021 unless I drive even less.

Don't forget to Reset TMPS so that car knows where the tires are --> Tesla DIY Geek: DIY - Tire rotation. Recommend doing it every 5k miles.

Reactions: mrau
In my previous car, i had issues with alignment but i never knew until i changed the tires or i went for an oil change. Given with lack of maintenance, I rather just go do the rotation at Discount Tires/America's Tires for free. BTW they will not even give you the free rotation option, they'll rather given you the $30 rotate and balance option instead. I figured it out as I was waiting for my turn at the store and i told the service advisor i only wanted free rotation. He replied with "I dont recommend it that's why i didn't offer it" But i told him to do it anyways.

Odd. I just had my local Discount Tire rotate only (no charge). Never even got out of my car.

Last edited:
I have 2019 SR+ RWD and this is first car I have done my own tire rotations. I did a rotation at 7000 miles and now I'm at 14000. I checked the tread depth and all 4 tires are at 7/32. Should I still rotate? I have the OEM Michelin MXM4 Primacys. Didn't know if I should still rotate. Thanks in advance

I have 2019 SR+ RWD and this is first car I have done my own tire rotations. I did a rotation at 7000 miles and now I'm at 14000. I checked the tread depth and all 4 tires are at 7/32. Should I still rotate? I have the OEM Michelin MXM4 Primacys. Didn't know if I should still rotate. Thanks in advance
Technically you don't rotate until theres a tread difference of like 2/32nds. The only thing is michelin wants rotations between 6-8000 miles for the warranty but its not like theyre going to watch you do them.

• Helpful
Reactions: sa012