Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation NOT necessary if tread wear is even?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 Perf with 37K miles and I have a second set of OEM Michelin Pilot 4S tires on the car. Following the recommended interval of 6,250 miles for a tire rotation, I scheduled a Tesla mobile service visit to have the tire rotation done at my home.

The Tesla tech took out a tool and measured the tread wear. He said that because I have a dual motor model, the tread wear on all the tires is exactly the same and there is no need for a tire rotation. He said he could proceed with the tire rotation if I wanted it, but he didn't think it was necessary since the tread wear was even. He said I should have the tread wear rechecked in another 5-6K miles.

I appreciate his honesty, as well as him saving me $65. But I just wanted to make sure that what he told me was accurate. Is it true that if the tread wear is even on the front and back tires that a rotation is not necessary? If it was your Tesla, would you also pass on the tire rotation?

Thanks,
Joe

Reactions: enemji
I have a 2018 Model 3 Perf with 37K miles and I have a second set of OEM Michelin Pilot 4S tires on the car.

I am at ~49K miles and am on my 2nd set of PS4S's as well.
My rears always wear faster than the fronts. On both sets. Same answer for the winter tire sets as well (on separate set of wheels).
What were your wear observations with the first set?

The Tesla tech took out a tool and measured the tread wear. He said that because I have a dual motor model, the tread wear on all the tires is exactly the same

That would be a miracle, since Tesla AWD is rear biased towards the more efficient and more powerful rear motor.

and there is no need for a tire rotation. He said he could proceed with the tire rotation if I wanted it, but he didn't think it was necessary since the tread wear was even. He said I should have the tread wear rechecked in another 5-6K miles.

If his observation is true, then the conclusion is valid.
However, I've never seen or heard of anyone experiencing even-steven tire wear between the front & rear axles on Model 3 Performance cars.
Make me wonder if the guy had somewhere else he wanted to be, and wanted to bail on the tire rotation job?
Have you checked your tire wear front vs. rear yourself?

YMMV,
a

Reactions: DrGriz
The rear tires on my M3LR definitely wear faster than the front tires although it's not a huge difference. I don't really bother with mileage though. I only "rotate" (in quotes because I basically just swap them from front to rear and vice versa) the tires when I switch from summer to winter tires and back. Seems to work just fine with my annual mileage (~30,000 km or 18645 miles). When I installed my winter wheels all four summer tires showed almost identical wear.

I have a 2018 Model 3 Perf with 37K miles and I have a second set of OEM Michelin Pilot 4S tires on the car. Following the recommended interval of 6,250 miles for a tire rotation, I scheduled a Tesla mobile service visit to have the tire rotation done at my home.
I know this is an old thread but: as noted the service person was wrong.

Also it turns out it's tricky to measure tread depth. I've tried those little color coded checkers but they're worthless. I've also taken wheels off and checked with my shop calipers/depth gauge. Last time, because it seemed like the depths were noticeably irregular, I got an alignment check. The shop also had an Autel depth scanner which revealed why you should do a cross rotation (which I hadn't). The inner edges were wearing at a different rate than the outer edges. I also had a thinner center on one tire but that's another story.

I imagine one problem the rotation recommendations are trying to solve is measurement error. If you rotate on schedule you can just use the wear bars unless you're out of alignment.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

The Tesla tech took out a tool and measured the tread wear. He said that because I have a dual motor model, the tread wear on all the tires is exactly the same and there is no need for a tire rotation. He said he could proceed with the tire rotation if I wanted it, but he didn't think it was necessary since the tread wear was even. He said I should have the tread wear rechecked in another 5-6K miles.

I appreciate his honesty, as well as him saving me $65. But I just wanted to make sure that what he told me was accurate. Is it true that if the tread wear is even on the front and back tires that a rotation is not necessary? If it was your Tesla, would you also pass on the tire rotation?

Thanks,
Joe

Had the same experience with my mobile rotation service appointment. 9K miles on 2022 M3LR. Said the wear is even. I will re-check at around 15K

If your treadwear is even across all tires then there is NO NEED to rotate them! For me, I rotate tires as a creature of habit because it allows me to check other things when the tire/wheel is off the vehicle. Same thing with "alignments"...if your vehicle is NOT experiencing issues or showing uneven wear then there is absolutely NO reason to get an alignment.

With that being said I am very meticulous with tire things. I track a car regularly and it does need tire "things" to be maintained.

Don't worry about your tires if you maintain them properly and there is no wear issues.

Extend your rotation interval to 10K.
The rears are wearing more, just not evident enough yet.

I would encourage every Tesla owner to get a 4 wheel alignment when the car is new. It’s a Big reason there is such dramatic tire life differences differences amoung owners. These cars are NOT aligned well from the factory.
I must have been lucky (knock on wood). Never had my car aligned until I got new tires at around the 3 yr mark. The alignment guy only charged me half price because he said the alignment was dead on and he would be foolish to make any changes.