Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about tire rotation (non-directional) on my M3LR:

My front tires are currently at 4/32
My rear tires are at 7/32**
**I had to get two new rear tires because I incurred a flat on one of them, and because of AWD dynamics, I had to replace two instead of just one.

I'm assuming I can't rotate this regularly, and would have to treat them as staggered (e.g. switch from left-to-right only). Is that correct?

No reason they cannot be rotated front to back, or even crossed. Take your car to Discount Tire (or the company of your choice) and let the pros give you some advice. In my area Discount Tire rotates tires for free.
Thanks for chiming in. I'm aware of America's/Discount Tire, but I prefer to rotate them myself.

The reason i'm asking is it was my understanding that there can be no more than 3/32 tread difference between any tires on an AWD system. I'm exactly right at that difference, so I thought i'd ask.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm aware of America's/Discount Tire, but I prefer to rotate them myself.

The reason i'm asking is it was my understanding that there can be no more than 3/32 tread difference between any tires on an AWD system. I'm exactly right at that difference, so I thought i'd ask.

I appreciate that, but I would still take it to the pros if only to get advice.

I don’t think Teslas care about different tread depths on the same axel like ICE cars if I remember correctly?

We don't have a center differential dividing power to the front and back like a normal awd car. We have two motors. It doesn't matter rotate your tires in the normal pattern.

No matter what the tire rotation pattern keeps them on the same axel front or rear anyway. Even if you cross them they stay together.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Tesla is far from an expert when it comes to tires. I would never go to them! But your choice of course.
Certainly I will get my replacement tires from Discount Tire and not Tesla. I was referring to alignment/tire rotation and that Tesla would be the best for that bc EV's are different than regular ICE's cars due to the drivetrains. If Tesla says rotate tires front to back, then I'm going to go with that versus some generic "one size fits all" advice from a big tire shop. Like you said your choice of course :)

Question about tire rotation (non-directional) on my M3LR:

My front tires are currently at 4/32
My rear tires are at 7/32**
**I had to get two new rear tires because I incurred a flat on one of them, and because of AWD dynamics, I had to replace two instead of just one.

I'm assuming I can't rotate this regularly, and would have to treat them as staggered (e.g. switch from left-to-right only). Is that correct?

Usually the rear will eat through tires faster so keep them thick boys in the back. You can swap from left to right to keep tread wear as even as possible if you want.

Reactions: P-Lo801 and DFW_MVP