TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire rotation

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ritu_o0o, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Ritu_o0o

Ritu_o0o Member

Guys,

Can tire rotation for MS be done by any tire shop or we have to get it done from the service center?

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Any shop.

They need to know how to carefully jack it up (see manual). They need to know the torque to tighten the lug nuts.

The bigger question is if you trust them or not.

• Like x 1
  3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Active Member

I go to Americas Tire in CA.

4. jayhawk3

jayhawk3 Member

It is a tire rotation not a Saturn V launch. It is shocking how gullible Tesla owners can be.

• Like x 1
  5. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find a single instance where someone posted that a tire shop messed up their battery.

Anyone know of any occurrences?

6. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

Don’t you mean a falcon 9 launch? :D

• Funny x 1
  7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  8. Graffi

Graffi Member

A few years ago I learned that Discount Tire not only does "FREE" tire rotation, but you can also purchase the Road Hazard Warranty on your new factory tires. It gives you free tire repair and maybe even a replacement. Our first rotation was in the Jacksonville, FL Discount Tire store while across the country from San Diego, CA. A few weeks later after another trip to WY we got them rotated again here in San Diego. One more San Diego rotation during the winter. Our next rotation will probably be here in San Diego just before we leave on our next cross-country trip in June.

9. unbelievable

unbelievable Member

Wow, that's some scary damage and has definitely made me think twice about using my local discount store. The process of rotating tyres is obviously very simple but risking a punctured battery cover just isn't worth it imo.

10. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

It was a year ago. As more cars get out there, the better it will be.

But yes, will think twice.

Someone here sells a block that fits in the spot that would reduce the risk. Hockey pucks as an alternative as well.

I wouldn’t say necessary for home/self use. But it does give a bigger target for tire shops.

11. Barry

Barry Active Member

Or repair shops.

I went to a local Firestone for a flat reapir and was told they don't work on Tesla's because their service people could get electrocuted working on them.

I spoke with the manager and assured him there are no high voltage wires running through the tires and the work was done.

• Funny x 1
  12. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

A body shop technician (from a Tesla certified shop) explained to me that when body panels have to come off, there is a very detailed lock-out/tag-out process they go through to disconnect the high voltage battery.

I would assume DIY tire rotations and brake jobs wouldn't put you into proximity with any of that. I wouldn't replace a half-shaft on my own though.