Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Mobile Service is telling me that it cost $97. Is it no longer free?

I recently called to schedule and was quoted the same

Yes, it used to be $50 and then my recent visit it was $97. Just make sure to have them do the other checks to make it worthwhile:

1. TSB for frunk latch (although I think I now hear some excess wind noise throughout the front inside cabin or something when going over 75 mph, so I’ll need to ask them to look at that)
2. They will re-torque the stabilizer bolts and sway bar bolts
3. Have them check the wheel axle nuts and re-torque.
4. Skip the rinseless wash if you want to avoid swirls in your paint.
5. Get your fill on snacks and drinks in the waiting lounge :)

Now that Tesla is charging for rotations - around $90 in the Bay Area, I decided to do it myself.
I found a nice little jack at Home Depot for $55:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Lift-2-Ton-Low-Profile-Floor-Jack-F-767/...

From Harbor Freight -
Breaker bar: $22
21 mm socket: $4
150 lb torque wrench: $25

The floor jack has a small lift cup, it can work without an insert but I used a hole-saw to cut out an oak disc to fit inside and it sits nicely against the jack point.

Steps:
  1. Pop the covers.
  2. Loosen the lugs on both wheels with the breaker.
  3. Lift the car from the rear jack point until I see light under the front tire.
  4. Using a drill with socket - remove the lugs and pull the rear tire. Roll next to front.
  5. Repeat on front, pull and replace with rear wheel. Put one lug on and tighten with drill.
  6. Put rear tire on and tighten all lugs with the drill.
  7. Tighten all front lugs with drill.
  8. Lower car to ground.
  9. Torque all lugs on both wheels.
  10. Repeat on other side.
  11. Drive a mile through the neighborhood.
  12. Re-torqe - wasn't necessary.
  13. Replace covers.
Easy-peasy!

Now that Tesla is charging for rotations - around $90 in the Bay Area, I decided to do it myself.
I found a nice little jack at Home Depot for $55:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Lift-2-Ton-Low-Profile-Floor-Jack-F-767/...

From Harbor Freight -

Breaker bar: $22

21 mm socket: $4

150 lb torque wrench: $25

I think you need to add also a (1/2" x 5") extension bar otherwise you will touch the wheel.

I got in fact the following complete set and container box:

and also

Torque all lugs on both wheels.

I would add, recommended torque value: 129 ft-lbs

Tesla Mobile Service is telling me that it cost $97. Is it no longer free?
Nope. That is what it cost me today as well. Sadly I didn't know that you were supposed to get them rotated every 5k. I have almost 10k and feel really stupid because the wear was pretty uneven and I could have gotten a lot more life out of my tires. They told me that I am going to need all new tires in another month or 2. Lesson learned. (I hate it when lessons cost me almost $1k.)

Nope. That is what it cost me today as well. Sadly I didn't know that you were supposed to get them rotated every 5k. I have almost 10k and feel really stupid because the wear was pretty uneven and I could have gotten a lot more life out of my tires. They told me that I am going to need all new tires in another month or 2. Lesson learned. (I hate it when lessons cost me almost $1k.)
They changed the recommendation to 10k miles.

They changed the recommendation to 10k miles.
That makes me pretty unhappy. If I had a notification to go rotate them at 5 then I would be getting months more wear out of them. I wish we could set reminders for our cars ourselves. I would just have Janet tell me to go do it (at Costco or something, not Tesla) every 5. At least now I know about the nub that gets exposed to tell you when it is time to get new tires.

For what it is worth, I took my car in for a rotation last week. They measured all of the tires for wear and told me the tire rotation was unnecessary. I have almost 13K since Late October and had the tires rotated at 6500 miles.
You should get the alignment checked just for peace of mind.

I get my car aligned recently. I had only 600 miles but I wanted to have a reference for later comparison.

The Trust and Camber were correct, but all the Toe angle were out of range. I would had never noticed any issues.
A larger Toe value might not be noticeable, it could even provides better cornering, but at the expense of earlier worn out.

You should get the alignment checked just for peace of mind.

I get my car aligned recently. I had only 600 miles but I wanted to have a reference for later comparison.

The Trust and Camber were correct, but all the Toe angle were out of range. I would had never noticed any issues.
A larger Toe value might not be noticeable, it could even provides better cornering, but at the expense of earlier worn out.
Thank you for the suggestion. I just had an alignment at the end of my body work. This was a week before I went in for the rotation.

I did my tire rotation this weekend at 13,500 miles (first was done by mobile service at 6,500 miles). Anyone interested, here is the video:

Hi. Unless I'm looking at your driveway wrong, in your video you put them to the rear of the car, on the uphill side. Chocks go on the downhill side, or on both sides of the wheel if the ground is level.

Hi. Unless I'm looking at your driveway wrong, in your video you put them to the rear of the car, on the uphill side. Chocks go on the downhill side, or on both sides of the wheel if the ground is level.
You always chock one wheel ONLY!!!
Unless you are on a severe incline where you should never intentionally rotate the tires. I spent years doing this and this is the biggest, most common mistake people make.
One guy brought me his jacking pieces and he swore it was on an incline, blocked off in this manner. It probably was but once he raised the rear axle, it rolled forward anyways cuz it became higher than the front axle
Again, never ever chock your wheels off in this fashion... EVER!!!