Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok now I see what you’re saying….i suppose that is approximately the same torque. And yes I’ve done that too. I don’t know what a four point lift in my head seems so much worse. Thanks
Well, I can see scenarios where it could be worse for short time period. But those are all scenarios to be avoided for other reason anyway. For instance if a downward force was applied to the unsupported corner before you got the jack/stand under it.

. . . And speaking of torque . . .
After determining that did not need to rotate at 5000 miles - I decided to check the lug nuts and the torque on them.
I found a variety of differences at each wheel.
RF - 85~90
RR - 90~95
LF - 100
LR - 125
I set them all to 125 foot lbs.
I know .... should have been 129 ft lbs .... but if I ever had to get them off without a cheater bar, I'd be s.o.l.
And 'man' those covers were on tight! Thought something would bust off in my hands, trying to get them off.
Never had a car that required the lug nuts to be that tight.

. . . And speaking of torque . . .
After determining that did not need to rotate at 5000 miles - I decided to check the lug nuts and the torque on them.
I found a variety of differences at each wheel.
RF - 85~90
RR - 90~95
LF - 100
LR - 125
I set them all to 125 foot lbs.
I know .... should have been 129 ft lbs .... but if I ever had to get them off without a cheater bar, I'd be s.o.l.
And 'man' those covers were on tight! Thought something would bust off in my hands, trying to get them off.
Never had a car that required the lug nuts to be that tight.
Wow, 129 is the torque called for? That's way higher than other cars.

Is it even possible to do tire rotation on Tesla Model Y Performance since it has staggered tires? Switching left and right on each axle will mess up the rotation direction as I understand.
My Infiniti Coupe has a staggered setup... When it had directional tires, Discount Tire would dismount the tires from the wheels, flip the tires, remount the tires, then swap the wheels LEFT-RIGHT. This was important for the Infiniti, becuase it has an aggressive camber from the factory. I don't think the MYP has an aggressive camber, so it may not be necessary. You can take a depth guage and measure the tread depths to see how even they are.

It also depends on the tire... I know on the DWS-06 tires I have now, the tires are marked INSIDE and OUTSIDE, so you can't flip the tire. But they also are not directional, so you can just swap the wheels L-R. But doing that without flipping the tire, doesn't really do much.

We yes of course you need jack stands for working under a car....:rolleyes:

And, yes, I have raised one side using one jack and one jack stand. That's how I normally rotate the tires front to back.

But my question is....for the third time....if you want to raise all four corners at once. After three corners are up, one corner is dangling.
I think I understand your concern. When I rotate on MY, I use two rem stands (front left and back right) at the lift points. I then use two modified Porsche 944 scissor stands to provide support under the remaining two lift points. The MY is rock solid on all four points and I remove wheels easily.
Rem Stands.jpg

Mobile service came to rotate mine in a Model s with a single floor jack in the trunk. They just put the jack under the rear jackpoint and jack it up until both the rear and front tire were off the ground. The frames on these are Incredibly stiff and can take a lot.
Today, I had Tesla Mobile service come and rotate my MYLR tires, as well. They didn’t use pucks, just a floor jack with a flat pad. They jacked up the car from rear until both tires (on one side of the car) were off the ground. Took the guy 15 minutes to rotate all 4 tires. Torqued the lug nuts and addded a few psi of air into each tire. Lately my schedule has been very busy, so it was definitely worth the $50 since they came to me.

Reactions: Daekwan
Today, I had Tesla Mobile service come and rotate my MYLR tires, as well. They didn’t use pucks, just a floor jack with a flat pad. They jacked up the car from rear until both tires (on one side of the car) were off the ground. Took the guy 15 minutes to rotate all 4 tires. Torqued the lug nuts and addded a few psi of air into each tire. Lately my schedule has been very busy, so it was definitely worth the $50 since they came to me.
This is how mobile service did my first rotation too. Since then I just did the same. Low profile jack, no puck. Jack it up from the rear jack point until both tires on 1 side is lifted up and rotate back to front.

This is also how I changed my Uberturbines to new square setup myself too.

I need a rotation and balance, can Tesla Mobil Service do that, or do I need to take it to a Service Center for that? In the app I see I can request a "ROTATION" but a balance is lumped in with an alignment.

BTW I'm a disabled vet so I need someone to do this for me and I only want Tesla to touch my Y.

Thanks in advance.

I got this beautiful thing from Home Depot
3 Ton Low Profile Jack
Got some basenor model y jack pads.

It is possible to lift the whole side with just one jack placed next to rear tire. Which allows to rotate front and rear tires on one side.

I also got this 2 Ton Scissor Jack
Scissor Jack

I cut off that top piece and using bolt added jack pack instead of it.
Used it couple times to take off and put on wheels before I got 3 Ton Jack.
Scissor Jack felt a bit flimsy and you need to watch how it lifts the car and adjust it if needed.
I keep it in the car just for emergency cases with some temporary plugs (Plugs)
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 11.06.14 AM.png

Your workshop, the tools, organization ...EVERYTHING in this one picture... is just beautiful. :)

I think I understand your concern. When I rotate on MY, I use two rem stands (front left and back right) at the lift points. I then use two modified Porsche 944 scissor stands to provide support under the remaining two lift points. The MY is rock solid on all four points and I remove wheels easily.View attachment 719010

Reactions: heapmaster
I need a rotation and balance, can Tesla Mobil Service do that, or do I need to take it to a Service Center for that? In the app I see I can request a "ROTATION" but a balance is lumped in with an alignment.

BTW I'm a disabled vet so I need someone to do this for me and I only want Tesla to touch my Y.

Thanks in advance.
That is likely not something we would be able to answer. The reason being we don't know what mobile service in your area has for equipment. If they show up in a big van that has tire balancing equipment installed in the back then sure. But I've never heard of such a thing yet. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I have not heard of it. Tire balancing typical requires some special, and largish, equipment so it's not something that can fit in the trunk of a Model S (which is what mobile service always shows up to my vehicle in). You would probably need to take it in to the SC. But honestly as far as tire rotation and balance go, I wouldn't worry to much about going somewhere other than Tesla for it. There is nothing special about rotating or balancing Tesla tires vs any other vehicle. The place needs to be familiar with the Tesla jack points and have the proper pucks for it but other wise it's not anything different than what they do everyday.

Your workshop, the tools, organization ...EVERYTHING in this one picture... is just beautiful. :)
Thanks Mark. I recently retired (and mostly worked overseas for parts of the govt). I always wanted a barn, so built one last year and it has been my workshop for the kids and grandkids as well. Spent a lot of time on ships and the saying "a place for everything and everything in its place" has become a standard in my organization. Stay well my friend.

Reactions: dogmodes
Does Tesla Mobile service us a single jack when they rotate the tires?
Do they even use pads?
Curious to see how does Tesla Mobile Service rotates tires when the come to your home.
My understanding is that Tesla Mobile Service, aka Ranger Service in some areas, uses a low profile floor jack to raise and rotate the tires, front to back, on the Tesla vehicle. The front lift point is used to raise both wheels on that side of the Tesla vehicle off of the ground (yes, the frame is that stiff/strong.) Tesla does not use a jack pad when raising the Tesla vehicle. The Mobile Service technician may use a jack pad if you provide one.

I have a RWD MS85. I rotate every 5k to 6k and I have yet to replace tires in over 2 years. Really does help to minimize the uneven wear. I also have a winter snow set. Highly recommended to have dedicated winter snow wheels and tires set. And also just do the rotations yourself.

Get 2 good low pro jacks and jack pad like this.

Also, lug nut cover remover

FYI, those are not affiliate links or anything. Just trying to share some good ole knowledge.

I bought jacking pucks too. In the reviews of your pucks, one user said "They literally smell atrocious. I’m sure they will work fine, but if they stink up the car, what’s the point?" Wondering if you noticed a problem with odour?