Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Infiniti Coupe has a staggered setup... When it had directional tires, Discount Tire would dismount the tires from the wheels, flip the tires, remount the tires, then swap the wheels LEFT-RIGHT. This was important for the Infiniti, becuase it has an aggressive camber from the factory. I don't think the MYP has an aggressive camber, so it may not be necessary. You can take a depth guage and measure the tread depths to see how even they are.

It also depends on the tire... I know on the DWS-06 tires I have now, the tires are marked INSIDE and OUTSIDE, so you can't flip the tire. But they also are not directional, so you can just swap the wheels L-R. But doing that without flipping the tire, doesn't really do much.
I had the same tires on the same car! (2006 6MT) they were GREAT in the rain.

Sadly I sold it and got a Prius.... but thats another story.

I bought jacking pucks too. In the reviews of your pucks, one user said "They literally smell atrocious. I’m sure they will work fine, but if they stink up the car, what’s the point?" Wondering if you noticed a problem with odour?
Jim, sorry my post wasn't clear. I actually just made my own lift pucks out of wood. I just posted that one from amazon as it is a much simpler route than making your own out of wood. =D

I just bought this to rotate my Y's wheelset.
66527256163__2C4DD4F2-A9F6-49C8-BF5E-FE626EE4109D Large.jpeg

Reactions: tdeno
I just bought this to rotate my Y's wheelset. View attachment 767174

NICE!
What is the make/model of the jack you got?

I got a set of 4 of the SafeJacks - Rennstand. I have used them on the MY for snow tire swap and BMW for rotate tires - I really do like them

NICE!
What is the make/model of the jack you got?

I got a set of 4 of the SafeJacks - Rennstand. I have used them on the MY for snow tire swap and BMW for rotate tires - I really do like them

7000TLX

Or save yourself some hassle and have Discount Tire do it. They recently rotated and balanced mine for free, no issues...
I bought a road hazard warranty from them after getting a very slow leak from a screw in a tire. They fixed the flat (tire off the wheel and patch on the inside), re-balanced it, and rotated the tires at the same time (6500mi) as part of that warranty. Well worth the piece of mind.

Last edited:
4BDDAA1D-B522-48C1-B654-72751E79661D.jpeg

Big thanks to this thread. I was way overdue for my first rotation as I now have 14,200 miles on my Y. Really appreciate the people who pointed out this could be done with a single low profile jack and made sure to use the rear jack point on the vehicle. Being a MYSR.. my car is RWD and the weight biased towards the rear anyways.

Swapped front to back. Measured 7/32 in some places, 8/32 in others. Pretty even wear and I’m guessing these tires will be good for about 40k miles. Made sure to torque the lugs down to 129ft/lbs and really appreciate someone pointing this out. Finally put the caps back on with the T pointing to the valve stem :)

Since it’s almost a year of ownership, I should have went ahead and lubed the pads as that’s the only other maintenance I believe is needed right now. That said coming off a very cold winter with little regen, I’ve used the brakes a ton over the past 3 months. I’m sure it’s fine to let it go longer and I might do it the next tire rotation.

Entire process took about 10mins each side.. and of course had to flip the car around in the garage to do the drivers sided. Was so easy that afterwards I went ahead and did a full detail to get the winter grime off. Hand wash, clay to remove bugs & tar, 2nd quick hand wash to remove streaks left by clay process, Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic spray wax.

For the interior scrubbed down of the entire interior with baby shampoo + warm water using microfiber towels from Costco. Finally glass cleaner on all the windows & touchscreen. Car hasn’t been this clean since about October. White seats look perfect after a year of use and daily pickup/drop off of 4yr old twins!! Looks brand new again!! So glad I didn’t waste money on PPF.. as the front has done really well with rock chips.

363B36DF-2F16-4984-9663-9E0A89DFA444.jpeg
BB485566-493F-4293-AEFA-7993351DAF3E.jpeg

A7CBE904-E431-4AB5-9CF3-49EB72230BC8.jpeg

6DA6D80D-C5B1-4A55-BA8C-D56E663FCC03.jpeg

CF2912A7-41F6-477D-BA0B-3F1DAB3C3544.jpeg

Attachments

• 2307AE67-D3E3-4876-BC4A-E44248FAAF86.jpeg
    2307AE67-D3E3-4876-BC4A-E44248FAAF86.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Anyone use the one jack/spare tire method to rotate tires? I have been trying to decide if I am going to purchase a low profile jack, or use the scissor jack I have from my previous car. I just got my MYLR, but my wife's Model 3 is at 5600 miles, so probably in the next month or so will be rotating hers.
Will be my first time doing it and in reviewing different ways, that one doesn't require me buying anything new, I spent a ton on accessories for the MY and will be getting my car back from full Stealth PPF on Thursday. If I bring one more thing into the house/garage my wife is not going to be happy. So you could be saving a life with your advice....

Anyone use the one jack/spare tire method to rotate tires? I have been trying to decide if I am going to purchase a low profile jack, or use the scissor jack I have from my previous car. I just got my MYLR, but my wife's Model 3 is at 5600 miles, so probably in the next month or so will be rotating hers.
Will be my first time doing it and in reviewing different ways, that one doesn't require me buying anything new, I spent a ton on accessories for the MY and will be getting my car back from full Stealth PPF on Thursday. If I bring one more thing into the house/garage my wife is not going to be happy. So you could be saving a life with your advice....
One thing is for sure, you want to make sure you are doing it safely. And since its the only real maintenance required on the vehicle.. and you guys own two Teslas, this is something you will be doing pretty often to both vehicles. Considering that.. I'd bite the bullet and get the low-profile jack. Would get a high-quality one with a flat/rubber surface as that will save time, by not needing to use the pucks. And of course, you want something rated for a heavy vehicle.. so make sure its 2.5 or 3 tons.

I have that one and love it. Even the price has doubled since I bought it about 8 years ago, I still wouldnt bother with anything else.

Reactions: samori01
I've done it with one jack:

It's important to make sure you get a 3 ton jack as the car weighs more than 2 tons (which is what many jacks are rated for). Pucks, low profile jack and you'll be fine. I also use this jack to rotate the tires on our Model 3 as well.

EDIT: I see the previous post indicates more or less what I just said -- I didn't see any 2.5 ton jacks when I was shopping around, but that would also be sufficient.

The Tesla Model Y weighs ~4400 to 4500 lbs (2.25 tons). When you lift two wheels off the ground on the same side then the two wheels on the opposite side are supporting half the weight. A quality 1.5 ton to 2 ton rated floor jack should be adequate.

Reactions: samori01