Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Built into the system software? Not as far as I know. Never seen any "timer" or odometer limit to trigger a warning message.

edit: Best workaround that I can think of at the moment would be to set a calendar entry in your phone and as long as your phone is linked to the car and the calendar shared with it, then you'll get a reminder.

I would add the next odometer reading for rotation so that when the date rolls around and you have not reached the odometer reading just move the date forward a little until things match.

Upvote 0
The general recommenction is to rotate tires every 5,000 to 7,500 miles, although some people just wait until it looks like they need to be rotated. But there is no harm in rotating tires. In fact in Atlanta discount tires rotates tires for free, so for me it is a no brainer to rotate often. I also ask them to check the tires to see if an alignment is needed. Since they do not do alignments, I know I am getting an unbiased answer.

Instead of using a date use a mileage internval. For example, rotate every 5,000 miles (5,000, 10,000, 15,000, etc.)

Reactions: TunaBug
Upvote 0
My 2013 Lexus has maintenance reminders for everything from oil changed to tire rotations and even wiper blades. Also has 4 custom blanks you can set to whatever you like. After this post it would be a good feature for Tesla, especially considering the odometer isn’t in the display and fairly hidden.

For me I only drive 10k miles a year and about 50/50 between summer winter. So I just do a rotation when I switch out my summer or winter tire/wheels twice a year in my garage.

Upvote 0
I rotate the tires every 7,500 miles as it is easy to remember vs the odd 6,250 miles recommended by Tesla. Simple front to back and back to front, no crossing.

I like to inspect the tires visually myself when rotating as the entire tread and wear is impossible to see with the tires still mounted. Cheap $4 tire depth gauge off Amazon is useful too to document inner vs outer tread and any variances there may be.

Also if you have the tires off to inspect tread depth you might as well just rotate them while you're at it.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Upvote 0
Well I guess it is never too late. But what I was getting at is too late to optimize tire performance and life. Also if doing a rearward cross having tires with significantly different wear on an axel can put unnecessary stress on the diff.
If the wear is that significant then indeed it is too late. I'm talking about a millimeter or so. That would be a tiny fraction of a percent difference in rotation speed. I'll let you do the math.

Rotating tires is not always a plus. Radial tires tend to take a set based on the geometry of the suspension of there location. In rare circumstances it can actually accelerate wear. I have had several cars that never had the tires rotated and still have experienced long and even wear. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: Arthur31
Upvote 0