Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation

How do you rotate your tires?

• Service center - and they do it for free (and I have a service plan)

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Service center - and they do it for free (and I don't have a service plan)

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Service center, but they charge me for it (how much?)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Myself or third party shop.

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will rotate any OEM tires free of charge, when needed, period. Have verified this with multiple SvCs in multiple regions.

That means you could buy a replacement set from Tire Rack, have them sent directly to the SvC of your choice, and Tesla will mount and balance the set for $125. Or you could have them sent to Costco who will do the same for $100. Or you could buy them from Discount Tire and negotiate the best deal you can get. Regardless, whether the tires are from the factory or a replacement set that you bought from wherever, Tesla will rotate them free of charge *as long as they are exactly one of the OEM tires*.

So for the 19"s, that means either Goodyear Eagle RS A-2s, Michelin Primacy MXM4s, or the new mystery Goodyear Eagle Touring tire. The latter, rumored to cost about the same as the Primacy, has no treadlife warranty and is rumored to have foam inside, which makes it a very quiet tire.

Having typed all of that, I concur with all of the reasons above to rotate them at home, and as soon as I acquire multiple jacks, hockey pucks, and proper jack stands, a 21mm 6-pointed socket, a breaker bar, and repurpose my torque wrench, I intend to do just that.

I use Discount Tire for all my work ... no problems. :cool: A few things to check with the tech:
  • Make sure they use the correct jack points. I bring 4 hockey pucks to help the process.
  • Make sure they use road force tire balancing.
  • Let them know to set the tire pressure at 45-50psi.
  • Make sure they hand torque the lugs to 129 lb-ft.

That means you could buy a replacement set from Tire Rack, have them sent directly to the SvC of your choice, and Tesla will mount and balance the set for $125. Or you could have them sent to Costco who will do the same for $100. Or you could buy them from Discount Tire and negotiate the best deal you can get. Regardless, whether the tires are from the factory or a replacement set that you bought from wherever, Tesla will rotate them free of charge *as long as they are exactly one of the OEM tires*.

My service Center would only change my winter wheels and tires to my all season. Said they could not do it the other way around because they were not original equipment.

Question? Do you need multiple jacks? Is it bad to jack the car up one tire at a time?
Thanks

Normally rotate and change my wheels and tires. Have Jackpoint jack stand which work great. Have an adapter for Tesla. When rotating tires should only do it with jack stands otherwise not really safe. For changing from winter to summer or visa versa jack only is probably OK.

It's not a problem I jack up one wheel at a time all the time when swapping summer/winter wheels. If you want to rotate front to back, I would not trust any jack to jack up the car high enough to get both wheels off the ground. Use two jacks. They're pretty cheap.

Normally rotate and change my wheels and tires. Have Jackpoint jack stand which work great. Have an adapter for Tesla. When rotating tires should only do it with jack stands otherwise not really safe. For changing from winter to summer or visa versa jack only is probably OK.

Reactions: int32_t
Tesla will rotate any OEM tires free of charge, when needed, period. Have verified this with multiple SvCs in multiple regions.

So for the 19"s, that means either Goodyear Eagle RS A-2s, Michelin Primacy MXM4s, or the new mystery Goodyear Eagle Touring tire. The latter, rumored to cost about the same as the Primacy, has no treadlife warranty and is rumored to have foam inside, which makes it a very quiet tire.

Having typed all of that, I concur with all of the reasons above to rotate them at home, and as soon as I acquire multiple jacks, hockey pucks, and proper jack stands, a 21mm 6-pointed socket, a breaker bar, and repurpose my torque wrench, I intend to do just that.

My service Center would only change my winter wheels and tires to my all season. Said they could not do it the other way around because they were not original equipment.

How do you put it on the jack stands since the jack points are only big enough for a jack? Do you jack the rear so high that you can place a stand on the front? If so, how can you then put a stand on the rear since there is no longer a point to jack from?

How are you going rotate tires jacking up only one corner at a time?
The way I've always done it is with one jack, and I only rotate when switching from summer tyres to winter tyres. Just make sure you mark the tyres going out with where they were so you know where to rotate them to next season!

(Guess winter isn't really a thing in California. Maybe make up a random Performance season and switch your performance / non-performance tyres once or twice a year?) ;)

The way I've always done it is with one jack, and I only rotate when switching from summer tyres to winter tyres. Just make sure you mark the tyres going out with where they were so you know where to rotate them to next season!

(Guess winter isn't really a thing in California. Maybe make up a random Performance season and switch your performance / non-performance tyres once or twice a year?) ;)

Ahh. Well if you have two sets of wheels :)

Ahh. Well if you have two sets of wheels :)
Having two sets is a bit of a necessity up here, though not everyone does. When the snow flies you can very easily tell who put 'em on and who didn't ... :eek:

An extra set of wheels shouldn't be too much of a stretch for most Tesla owners, eh? Remember, you save lots (including damage) by rotating them yourself. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jerry33

Looks like a great solution ... :cool:

upload_2016-7-25_21-15-14.png