Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rotation

How do you rotate your tires?

• Service center - and they do it for free (and I have a service plan)

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Service center - and they do it for free (and I don't have a service plan)

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Service center, but they charge me for it (how much?)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Myself or third party shop.

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go to a local tire shop. For a Dual Motor car, every 10K is about right. :cool:

...and you have confidence that they've never lifted anywhere but the lift pad jack points???? They are very narrow so unless they're using something like hocky pucks or something else narrow enough to lift up only on the rectangular pad, they'll have squished the rails on the sides of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: int32_t
...and you have confidence that they've never lifted anywhere but the lift pad jack points???? They are very narrow so unless they're using something like hocky pucks or something else narrow enough to lift up only on the rectangular pad, they'll have squished the rails on the sides of the battery.
That's generally not the problem, it's ruining the nuts with impact tools. Add $120 for each rotation.

I have two hydraulic pump jacks. Jack up one side of car, front and rear and using an electric impact wrench I remove the lugs. Clean and inspect the calipers and wheels and tires and do the rotation front to rear then drop the car and use a torque wrench to achieve correct torque setting. BTW, hand thread each lug nut on the lugs to insure a good thread alignment. Do no let the torque wrench bugger up your lug's threads. I am due again to do this in about 2K miles. Good used pump jacks are not very expensive, both of mine are from Craig's List, $50-60 each (3 ton jacks). This is NOT a hard procedure to do, if you have the time and desire. Every car guy I know, does this themselves if able.

Reactions: JPUConn
Just had this done last Saturday. When I intially called for the appointment, they confirmed the service was free. It took one hour to rotate, perform an over-all inspection, add air to tires, supercharge and topped off windshield washer fluid. I also mentioned that my drivers side floor mat was bunching up and they replaced both front and back with new upgraded mats for free.

don't forget to use the correct socket size of 21MM. picked my car up this morning and chatting with the service advisor about my plans to swap my own snow tires over and he said he sees many instances of individuals / external shops who use the incorrect size and round off the lugs.

• Informative
Reactions: caltrader
I have two hydraulic pump jacks. Jack up one side of car, front and rear and using an electric impact wrench I remove the lugs. Clean and inspect the calipers and wheels and tires and do the rotation front to rear then drop the car and use a torque wrench to achieve correct torque setting. BTW, hand thread each lug nut on the lugs to insure a good thread alignment. Do no let the torque wrench bugger up your lug's threads. I am due again to do this in about 2K miles. Good used pump jacks are not very expensive, both of mine are from Craig's List, $50-60 each (3 ton jacks). This is NOT a hard procedure to do, if you have the time and desire. Every car guy I know, does this themselves if able.

I also use two hydraulic jacks along with two hocky pucks on on each lift pad to make sure there's no chance of the jack pad pressing on the battery side rail as the cars lift pad/jack point is recessed about an inch higher than the bottom of the battery.

I use a breaker bar to loosen the lugs. A non impact socket to quickly tighten the lugs, and finally a torque wrench in a 5 star pattern....twice. Why twice? Almost always the first bolt torqued to 130 ft / lbs will again need to be torqued and will rotated a few more degrees after the last one is tightened. Actually I repeat continuously until a lug no longer rotates and just clicks on the torque wrench but that never exceeds the second round of tightening. I avoid using the impact not because I'm afraid of ruining the lugs but because I'm afraid of ruining the studs as I frequently swap 19 and 21 sets (several times a month).

Reactions: Alex D
Are you sure that it is free at the service center? I was told it is included in the annual/12500 inspection, which is $600...

From an email I received asking about tire rotation last year at the Fromont location:

"Our technicians will inspect your tires and rotate the tires automatically if the rear tires have less tread than the front. It is part of our courtesy service."

• Disagree
Reactions: caltrader
From an email I received asking about tire rotation last year at the Fromont location:

"Our technicians will inspect your tires and rotate the tires automatically if the rear tires have less tread than the front. It is part of our courtesy service."

The question is, will they do so outside of the service. Tires will need rotation maybe twice a year, service is only once a year.