Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire selection for 18" wheels for max grip in a strait line and / or on the curves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seriously considering a light weight 18" wheel and tire package for my MYP.

First off, anyone know where the MYP gets it's speedometer reading from? The Front and rear tires are different diameters, and it makes a difference in which diameter I need to match :) I suspect it is the front tires since they are the same diameter no mater what factory wheel and tire package you run. Also, the speedometer still reads 1 mph faster than GPS even after swapping to the Gemini's and swapping them in the infotainment system.

Anyway, are you better off with a 245/55/18 ultra high performance ALL SEASON tire OR are you better off with a 235/55/18 Max Performance SUMMER tire?

If I go with the narrower summer tires on the 18's I will keep my Gemini's for winter use (we don't have harsh winters in North Arkansas, but we do get some snow occasionally)... If I get the wider all season tires I will probably end up selling the Gemini's.

What are your thoughts?

Keith

Agreed.

OP, what about 275/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport Summer Tires? The tire (supposedly) weighs the same as the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) in 235/55R18.

I am going with a narrow light weight wheel. It might be good in a strait line but it is on the edge of being too wide for an 8.5" wide rim. Would you expect good handling on a tire that wide on a narrow wheel?

Keith

Last edited: