Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire selection for 18" wheels for max grip in a strait line and / or on the curves?

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
United States
I am seriously considering a light weight 18" wheel and tire package for my MYP.

First off, anyone know where the MYP gets it's speedometer reading from? The Front and rear tires are different diameters, and it makes a difference in which diameter I need to match :) I suspect it is the front tires since they are the same diameter no mater what factory wheel and tire package you run. Also, the speedometer still reads 1 mph faster than GPS even after swapping to the Gemini's and swapping them in the infotainment system.

Anyway, are you better off with a 245/55/18 ultra high performance ALL SEASON tire OR are you better off with a 235/55/18 Max Performance SUMMER tire?

If I go with the narrower summer tires on the 18's I will keep my Gemini's for winter use (we don't have harsh winters in North Arkansas, but we do get some snow occasionally)... If I get the wider all season tires I will probably end up selling the Gemini's.

What are your thoughts?

Keith

TwelveVoltMan

He'll make sparks fly round your head
May 14, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Just a WAG, but my thought is that NO All Season tire would ever have as much grip as a summer tire, assuming temps are above 50f or so.
Agreed.

OP, what about 275/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport Summer Tires? The tire (supposedly) weighs the same as the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) in 235/55R18.

jpy1980

Jul 17, 2021
Los Angeles
I’ve always loved the Michelin pilot sport 4s or conti extreme contact sport tires for max Performance grip. Had both on my 2015 bmw m3 and it was amazing.

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
United States
Agreed.

OP, what about 275/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport Summer Tires? The tire (supposedly) weighs the same as the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) in 235/55R18.

I am going with a narrow light weight wheel. It might be good in a strait line but it is on the edge of being too wide for an 8.5" wide rim. Would you expect good handling on a tire that wide on a narrow wheel?

Keith

Last edited:

Zhe Wiz

Go Big Red
Mar 15, 2021
Ithaca, NY
Has anyone tried Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s on 18“ rims at the drag strip? They’re about as light as it gets at 26lbs each in 235/55/18. If they give enough grip for a good 60’ time, they might give killer 1/4 mile times.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC